help/advice/critique of my fight pics

macpyro2

Iv been shooting fights for a while and want some critiques of the pics, I know there amateur so just some help would be great.

Also i cannot use flash when covering these events and light is usually shitty.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp141/macpyro2/DSC_0024.jpghttp://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp141/macpyro2/DSC_0315.jpghttp://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp141/macpyro2/DSC_0226.jpghttp://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp141/macpyro2/DSC_0078.jpg

if it was me, i would increase the aperture slightly to focus on the subject matter. also it will allow more light to enter too. it will blur out the audience which can take away from some of the shots, like the overhead shot.

if it was me, i would increase the aperture slightly to focus on the subject matter. also it will allow more light to enter too. it will blur out the audience which can take away from some of the shots, like the overhead shot.

Aperture is wide open due to low light and not being able to use a flash.

Fights are fun to shoot. Based on your exif, it looks like you're shooting with a rather slow lens. Look for something f/2 if you can pick one up. I'm not a Nikonian, but in Canon Land, the 100mm f/2 is less than $500 and a great sporting lens. This will allow for lower ISO's and the ability to capture the shutter speeds you'll need. the DOF of a wide open lens will also allow you to really focus in on the subject. I usually shoot with my 24-70 f/2.8 and 100mm f/2.

Crop tight. You don't want the excess background in all the shots. Fighting is emotional, thus you want to capture a mix of fighters faces ready to go and action shots where blows are landed. Think about each fight like a story, they enter the ring in appearance attire and clean, you capture the emotion and readiness, next the action & blood including the loser on the mat. Get that winner celebrating too. When you're done you want to be able to show the entire story of what it takes to win.

Look at doing a custom white balance. Not sure of the Nikon 5000 series and if it allows for it in camera. You can always use it in photoshop though. Consider editing some of the shots in B&W. Add in some grain too. Makes for some real nice looking photojournalism.

Here's an example of your shot in B&W with a nice grain added to create the photojournalism feel. I could probably do better with the highlights, but you get the idea.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/135319439/original.jpg

Fights are fun to shoot. Based on your exif, it looks like you're shooting with a rather slow lens. Look for something f/2 if you can pick one up. I'm not a Nikonian, but in Canon Land, the 100mm f/2 is less than $500 and a great sporting lens. This will allow for lower ISO's and the ability to capture the shutter speeds you'll need. the DOF of a wide open lens will also allow you to really focus in on the subject. I usually shoot with my 24-70 f/2.8 and 100mm f/2.

Crop tight. You don't want the excess background in all the shots. Fighting is emotional, thus you want to capture a mix of fighters faces ready to go and action shots where blows are landed. Think about each fight like a story, they enter the ring in appearance attire and clean, you capture the emotion and readiness, next the action & blood including the loser on the mat. Get that winner celebrating too. When you're done you want to be able to show the entire story of what it takes to win.

Look at doing a custom white balance. Not sure of the Nikon 5000 series and if it allows for it in camera. You can always use it in photoshop though. Consider editing some of the shots in B&W. Add in some grain too. Makes for some real nice looking photojournalism.

yea im looking at a faster lens I need it really bad. I would like to have something at least 18mm due to some of the close up pics through the cage.

I shoot about 2000 pics a fight so I get all the pre and post fight stuff also.

I started a website so my friend can link to his fight website, its new so i only have two fights worth on it but you can get an idea of what all i shoot.

http://stgfightphoto.webs.com/

yea im looking at a faster lens I need it really bad. I would like to have something at least 18mm due to some of the close up pics through the cage.

I would caution you against an 18mm. On your Nikon it will essencially be a 27mm but even that's a bit too wide for close portraits. The distortion created by the lens is magnified at close ranges and gives the subject unnatural and unflattering facial features. Try and stay at the very least in the 35mm range. 50mm is ideal. 85 is good too.

Brush up on Nikon's AF Systems. Make sure you get a lens that not only has fast glass but a fast AF System. I'm not familiar with Nikon otherwise, I'd chime in more.

Edited by TTQ B4U

You can get that grain look without photoshop, just turn up your ISO and convert to B/W. You shot most of those photos below ISO600. As stated you need a faster lens, and these days you also need to bump your ISO to at least 1600.

From the odd ISO numbers you were at I'm gonna assume your in an auto mode or at least have ISO set on AUTO. You should probably set ISO at 1600, dial in time priority (Tv if your canon) not sure on Nikon, but it allows you to adjust shutter speed only. then lock the shutter speed at like 1/100th - 1/150th and you should get much better photos.

Are you the offical photog for the events? If so you should be allowed to install a flash or two way up high over the ring and remote fire them. You could buy remotes called cybersyncs that won't cost a lot and will work great for this type of event.

You can get that grain look without photoshop, just turn up your ISO and convert to B/W. You shot most of those photos below ISO600. As stated you need a faster lens, and these days you also need to bump your ISO to at least 1600.

From the odd ISO numbers you were at I'm gonna assume your in an auto mode or at least have ISO set on AUTO. You should probably set ISO at 1600, dial in time priority (Tv if your canon) not sure on Nikon, but it allows you to adjust shutter speed only. then lock the shutter speed at like 1/100th - 1/150th and you should get much better photos.

Are you the offical photog for the events? If so you should be allowed to install a flash or two way up high over the ring and remote fire them. You could buy remotes called cybersyncs that won't cost a lot and will work great for this type of event.

when I shoot anything but the fighting I use flash and just throw it to auto most of the time because im running around so much its just easier. when im shooting the fighting I usually set it to manual.

Also im not the primary photographer my friend puts the shows on has me take them for his website. I still dont think even a remote flash from above would even be legal, its pretty strict with flashes.

shutter speed of 1/60th is slower than I use for any wedding shot even with a flash unless I'm intentionally going for rear curtain sync trails in the photo.

I just looked at the specs of your camera, You've got ISO 6400 as a maximum so you should be able to get photos at ISO 3200-6400 that will look awesome. if you still don't like the results get a copy of adobe lightroom 3 and use its noise reduction to fix them.

I have the Nikon 35mm AF-s f1.8 and love it, I think they are under $300. Shoots amazing in low light and is fast.... but I would recommended the 50 at least for what you are doing.

I have a 50mm 1.8 and I love it but its not AF. Id like to find a lens that with some kind of range also.