Are boat registrations transferable?

Nitrousbird

LJ asked me this, I haven't found the answer online, and need to know for my Malibu as well (which doesn't expire until 2014).

I never had my Sea Ray checked in the 11 years I've had it, so I'm not really worried about rocking it illegal, as the sticker is current.

I recall the last time I renewed the Sea Ray, I was able to do it at the BMV near Andersons in Reynoldsburg (just had to pay cash, no checks/CC for some reason). Looking online, it looks like only a few places do boat registrations now - around here either the headquarters for Ohio in 43229 and a place near Alum on S Old State.

I know a bunch of folks recently bought boats, so I figured someone would have some insight on this.

LJ asked me this, I haven't found the answer online, and need to know for my Malibu as well (which doesn't expire until 2014).

I never had my Sea Ray checked in the 11 years I've had it, so I'm not really worried about rocking it illegal, as the sticker is current.

I recall the last time I renewed the Sea Ray, I was able to do it at the BMV near Andersons in Reynoldsburg (just had to pay cash, no checks/CC for some reason). Looking online, it looks like only a few places do boat registrations now - around here either the headquarters for Ohio in 43229 and a place near Alum on S Old State.

I know a bunch of folks recently bought boats, so I figured someone would have some insight on this.

I was gonna tell you what i found when I saw you in a little bit, but I found this when looking around

Cost to Transfer Registration to Another Owner: $5

For unexpired registrations only.

So I assume yes?

Typically its not something that is check upon. So you could wait until it expires.

I figured this much. But since it is only $5 and near where I work to do it, I'll just make her legal.

Looks like LJ will be doing the same with his new boat. :)

Did the transfer today.

After dealing with the idiot broad at the BMV who didn't know how to do a simple plate registration transfer ($9.50 and 15 minutes with me having every bit of paperwork you could ask for), I got to take the trip to the Dept. of Watercraft. After a security check in (seriously, for a boat registration), it was a fairly in-depth form, title, and drivers license for getting that cared for - and $5.