LS1 vs LS2 vs LS3 vs LSx???

KillJoy

Other then just using Google, is there a resource (or multiple) out there to learn the differences in the LS Engines?

KillJoy

LSX is the general term for all of the motors (LS1, LS2, ext).

LS1 tech has some great sticky topics that will have more than enough info.

along with looking at ls1tech lol try the regular gm pages where they do their builds etc they like to go into detail on to why they went the ways they did and give a good breakdwon of the other things you can choose and what makes the differences

LS1=346ci 5.7L started in 97 in the Vettes, iron sleeved Aluminum block, 3.89" bore, 3.622" stroke, all metric complete redesign of the small block chevy, used a pair of knock sensors in the valley, 1x cam sensor, 24x crank sensor, 6 bolt mains, powdered metal connecting rods, hyper pistonsm, 853 casting heads early production, 241 casting heads by 2001

LS6= same as an LS1 with better cam, better 243 casting heads with hollow/sodium filled valves, better flowing intake manifold, updated casting process for the block making it somewhat more desireable then a standard LS1

LS2=368ci 6.0L started life in the 2004 Vettes, 4.0" bore 3.622" stroke, better casting stronger block, moved knock sensors, moved cam sensor, 58x reluctor wheel for the crank sensor, used the same 243 casting heads from the LS6 without the hollow and sodium filled valves, 90mm throttle body, revised intake

LS3= 376ci 6.2L, started life in 2008 Vettes, completely revised heads with rectangular intake ports as opposed to the older cathedral design, offset intake rockers, 4.068" bore 3.622" stroke, 4x cam signal

LS4= 5.3L waste of time came in FWD cars and doesn't share as much with the RWD engines, first offering of displacement on demand (which is junk)

LS7= 427ci 7.0L first offered in the 2006 Corvette Z06, 4.125" bore, 4.0" stroke, block is very similar to the other LS engines but it stops there, Unique heads to the LS7 outflowing anything else factory, intake, cam, valvetrain, crankshaft has a longer snout to accomadate the dry sump oiling system, better flowing exhaust manifolds, this engine is very unique and is hand assembled

LS9= 376ci 6.2L, available only in the ZR1 Corvette, shares a lot of the design with the LS3, but has the dry sump stuff from an LS7, low compression for the 3 rotor eaton blower, more exotic materials throughout,

LSA= more toned down version of the LS9, only offered in the Cadillac CTS-V, basically a lower compression LS3 with a supercharger

LSx is either the GMPP block that is available as a standard or tall deck, or its a designation for all things LS

There are truck versions of the LS1, in a 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L made of iron. There are other oddball variants floating around, like the aluminum 5.3L that came in certain trailblazers and a couple other things. The L92 aluminum 6.2L truck engine thats very similar to the LS3. There are at least a dozen other RPO codes for various truck engines, a couple car engines that are available in Europe and Australia, whatever the code is for the new automatic Camaros which is basically an LS3 with active fuel management (displacement on demand).

Okay I'm done, I didn't look any of that up, seriously, that is all off the top of my head.

LS1=346ci 5.7L started in 97 in the Vettes, iron sleeved Aluminum block, 3.89" bore, 3.622" stroke, all metric complete redesign of the small block chevy, used a pair of knock sensors in the valley, 1x cam sensor, 24x crank sensor, 6 bolt mains, powdered metal connecting rods, hyper pistonsm, 853 casting heads early production, 241 casting heads by 2001

LS6= same as an LS1 with better cam, better 243 casting heads with hollow/sodium filled valves, better flowing intake manifold, updated casting process for the block making it somewhat more desireable then a standard LS1

LS2=368ci 6.0L started life in the 2004 Vettes, 4.0" bore 3.622" stroke, better casting stronger block, moved knock sensors, moved cam sensor, 58x reluctor wheel for the crank sensor, used the same 243 casting heads from the LS6 without the hollow and sodium filled valves, 90mm throttle body, revised intake

LS3= 376ci 6.2L, started life in 2008 Vettes, completely revised heads with rectangular intake ports as opposed to the older cathedral design, offset intake rockers, 4.068" bore 3.622" stroke, 4x cam signal

LS4= 5.3L waste of time came in FWD cars and doesn't share as much with the RWD engines, first offering of displacement on demand (which is junk)

LS7= 427ci 7.0L first offered in the 2006 Corvette Z06, 4.125" bore, 4.0" stroke, block is very similar to the other LS engines but it stops there, Unique heads to the LS7 outflowing anything else factory, intake, cam, valvetrain, crankshaft has a longer snout to accomadate the dry sump oiling system, better flowing exhaust manifolds, this engine is very unique and is hand assembled

LS9= 376ci 6.2L, available only in the ZR1 Corvette, shares a lot of the design with the LS3, but has the dry sump stuff from an LS7, low compression for the 3 rotor eaton blower, more exotic materials throughout,

LSA= more toned down version of the LS9, only offered in the Cadillac CTS-V, basically a lower compression LS3 with a supercharger

LSx is either the GMPP block that is available as a standard or tall deck, or its a designation for all things LS

There are truck versions of the LS1, in a 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L made of iron. There are other oddball variants floating around, like the aluminum 5.3L that came in certain trailblazers and a couple other things. The L92 aluminum 6.2L truck engine thats very similar to the LS3. There are at least a dozen other RPO codes for various truck engines, a couple car engines that are available in Europe and Australia, whatever the code is for the new automatic Camaros which is basically an LS3 with active fuel management (displacement on demand).

Okay I'm done, I didn't look any of that up, seriously, that is all off the top of my head.

Is it bad that I know all of that off the top of my head from the countless nights I spent deciding what mods I wanted?

LS6 block is different to breath better in the crank case. not as stong for a forced induction engine vs. the LS1.

LS2 was 2005.

LS6 block is different to breath better in the crank case. not as stong for a forced induction engine vs. the LS1.

LS2 was 2005.

LS1 had windows in the mains starting in 99........ 99+ also had the ports on the back of the block opened up for better oiling.

LS1Tech?

Steve, don't be gay. Thrown a 4.6 in there with a KB.

I am thinking something along the lines of a Grand Marquis or Lincoln Towncar w/ a blown LSx w/ 600+ crank.... Long Tubes to Dumps to stock exhaust.

:gabe:

KillJoy