Bitter sweet day for my RXP and me

XChris1632X

As many know I have been on a quest for more power and to hit the 80mph mark on my ski. Somewhere along those lines my ski influenced a couple other people on this board and gave them the same fever for these skis as I had. I have had many tuning issues through the last couple year but I was also the first in the area to start modding mine and I didn't have much help. In reality, I was part of a few hundred that started modding these. Now there are thousands and most people have easy recipes to follow.

Through trial and error I had previously managed the best of 76.4mph (when I had my GPS to confirm at least). However, I knew it had more in the current setup but I was always having to change or tune something else. After about 73mph, these things can get very touchy and a pain in the dick to mess with sometimes. I am sure many have seen that following Linns thread.

I hit the lake up for the first time of the year. It was very windy and mostly choppy with a few seconds of smoother water here and there. I had a full tank of old fuel from last year. I have done a little bit of work to the ski here and there, including a re-pitch of the prop, but I wasn't really out to get a speed reading. I just wanted to play around a bit and stretch its legs. What I found was more than shocking to me. Especially with considering conditions and weight.

I hit a new all time best

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk251/XChris1632X/Toys/Hayden/IMAG0189.jpg

The ski was pulling consistant 76-77 with a few 78mph spikes. After I saw this I tried and tried to break 79mph mark but I couldnt do it. I was mostly at 8120rpms but it was I saw 8150 a few times. I don't know if this was putting me on the limiter or not. It would have been perfect to swap one of my other nozzle rings in to bring the rpms down but I didnt bring them with me. I might have broke 79 then. Either was this is all the ski has with this prop in my opinion. I know it is not the correct prop for me and there is no more pitching better either.

With the correct prop and a few other things I had planned to do the ski would have easily seen 80+, but I think I am hanging it up. This was prob my last ride with this charger and prop setup. My buddy is buying this setup from me and we are going to hash it out on his ski. Im having a baby later this month and ongoing projects with my truck, boat, and house are too much right now. I am going to leave some of the mods on my ski and maybe in the future I will go bigger again, but for now it will be fun on stock charger. I don't imagine I will even put more than 10 hours on the ski this year. Infact, I have been trying to almost convince myself to sell it and buy something newer when I have more time/money, but I just have too much everything in this ski to part with it yet.

For now my quest is over. I guess if I found a killer deal on a bigger charger I might consider it, but I am forcing myself to be content with this. Linn, now you know where the bar is set I guess. Hope you can put the finish on it and make it to 80.

laugh too hard when you see my little ski topping out at low 70's from now on.

Edited by I Drive It... It Breaks!

Great speed Chris. Did you see my post about running 74.3 with the stock charger? You could be right there just by going back.

Is Shanton picking up your charger and impeller? Did you find any other impellers that you had in storage?

I wish you would have told me you were selling the charger with me just having to pick up another one and RRFPR.

Went back to stock charger today with a 14/19 prop. Again, I was more than impressed with what I found.

I still had almost a full tank of fuel from last year. After riding for a a good 20 mins already she was already pretty heat soaked. I was seeing 7950-8000 rpms and still hit 75.7 mph. I didn't take my tools or parts with me so I couldn't switch nozzle rings. I feel like I could have picked up another .5 mph with 8120 rpms and a 83mm nozzle ring.

I personally didn't think I would ever see speeds like this with this setup. 1 hour later into the night though and I couldn't get over 74. RPMs where down to 7800-7900 and it was HOT. Shanton was pushing a consistent 66mph but was down on RPMs, and our budy was running 68 and was down on RPMs a little but not as bad as Shanton. Might be time for a few new wear rings.