Needed: Android App - Battery Saver

KillJoy

There aren't a lot of good ones. The best takes a little diligence on your part. Rooting will make the biggest impact, but if you can't or won't I had good luck with this method:

Install ES Task Manager (Free), and put the widget on the home screen. One tap will kill unnecessary tasks.

Turn off GPS, Background Data, Wifi, and Bluetooth. If you have to use GPS/Wifi/BT, just turn it on when needed and off when you don't. Most Androids have easy widgets you can use to toggle them. Background data supposedly is used by some programs, but I haven't found one yet that *needs* it other than the Market. So I leave it off until I start Market.

Then just give the ES Task Manager widget a tap every time you open or close your phone. Doing this cut my battery use way down. Stock, I ran out of juice at the end of an 8 hour shift. Doing the above left me with 40%+ at the end of a shift. After rooting, I can leave work with 60% or more battery power left and can leave my phone (Thunderbolt) unplugged over night and only lose maybe 15%.

I have a Thunderbolt.

I have turned the display WAY down. I have disabled Bluetooth, 4G and set Display off at 15 secs (I usually do it myself).

KillJoy

All location/GPS settings off?

Yes and yes.

KillJoy

Well, I just got this ting today..... just making sure I have what I need....

KillJoy

I only read the last page because I am lazy but is this all you did? If so only other way to save battery life is to root and install a stripped rom. One without all the bloatware from verizon. I suggest installing BAMF stripped latest version. It is what I did the first day I got mine. If I am barely browsing the internet but just txting all day I get 12-14 hours before my phone is at 8%.

Edit: Oh and delete and widgets on your screen. Shortcuts to apps are fine and probably the power widget but everything else goes. Turn off the sync icon on power widget if you want even more life. But then you won't know if you get a gmail or gtalk message.

I've used an app called Juice Defender with decent results. Basically you can set it to turn on your data every half hour or so for a minute to check for email and other things, then it goes back off. So unless you are actively using the phone, the data setting is off most of the time which saves battery. It can get up to twice the normal battery life depending how you set it.

Also, as everyone else said, use wireless for data when you can. At least on my Galaxy S, it uses much less power than just leaving it on 3G.

I've used an app called Juice Defender with decent results. Basically you can set it to turn on your data every half hour or so for a minute to check for email and other things, then it goes back off. So unless you are actively using the phone, the data setting is off most of the time which saves battery. It can get up to twice the normal battery life depending how you set it.

Also, as everyone else said, use wireless for data when you can. At least on my Galaxy S, it uses much less power than just leaving it on 3G.

I dont recommend juice defender. It will turn of sync when the screen is off but any time you turn on the screen it syncs. If you txt a lot that is going to be more of a battery drain then not using the app.

Like everyone else said, ditch the task killer and root it if you don't mind voiding the warranty. My droid 1 rooted with liquid gingerbread hasn't been on a charger in 1d 3h 27m and 39s and I'm still at 60%.

I use advanced task killer. Many people don't realize that you can set it to automatically close tasks. Mine is set up for every half hour. I also have brightness down, GPS off, WiFi off, and internet off.

I have the EVO 4G and I have made it 50 hours without a charge on minimal use. A normal day with internet use will consume 40-50% battery.