Live Axle Linkage Idea

Toyotahead

Wanted to get some input on an idea I've been punting around for my ae86 for a while. In a nutshell its using a pair of angled lower arms that meet at the pumpkin and run to the frame rails, and a single upper arm centrally mounted on the pumpkin. The chassis pickup points will be either cage or unibody frame rail mounted, if they're on the unibody there will be loads of reinforcement to prevent flex. I figured it would reduce binding on the dampers and springs, as well as allow me to fine tune roll center (each of the lower arm mounts axle side will have at least 3" of adjustment for height, 2" chassis side) and roll over/understeer.

If the arms are long enough I shouldn't suffer from brake hop, it'll reduce the complexity of my factory rear link setup (4 links + panhard to just 3 arms), remove the binding the factory setup has, and give me a ton of adjustability. The thing that worries me is the twist the axle will have under acceleration, worst case I figured I could run supports along the tops of the axle tubes to the center diff (welded modest thickness sheet w/ large dimples to keep weight to a minimum). It also helps I'm making at best 90 lb/ft of torque :dumb: The only other thing I can think of would be reinforcing the lower damper mounts since they'll be worked a bit harder.

What say you guys?

Will do shortly, trapped at work atm. :fuuuu:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/maddhack86/4link.jpg

Top left and Top right are stock 4 link and panhard setup. Angles aren't exact but you get the idea, spring and damper placement are on the ends of the axle.

Bottom left, center, and right shows 3 link idea, springs and dampers are in stock locations, just the points have moved. The brackets will have multiple holes to allow for changing of geometry and handling characteristics, no panhard required since the lower arms provide centering without moving the axle laterally.

Edited by Toyotahead