AMA! What am I missing?

tezzmin

I have been following AMA Superbike for as long as I can remember and I'll admit the last 5 years have been a bit of a joke competition wise. I know they have made a bunch of changes with new ownership but what is going on? I thought I missed Daytona Superbike until it aired on March 21st at 11:00p.m. and 3:00a.m. lol.. a week late! Now I am looking for Fontana on Speed and don't see it listed until March 28th a week late. I already know who won the race! I don't watch a football game a week after I know who won. This is how they think they are making changes for the better. What is going on?

You aren't alone. The rules and the TV package are going to really test this series. Why wait two weeks for races to air and only to show highlights when it does? This is about as stupid as it gets and I think it is only going to get worse.

Many things that don't make sense:

-Superbike class having racing stopped to bring out the pace car for a dash to the finish. Why? Why not just do 10 lap sprint races and be done with it? All that work you might have done at the start could be for not as they bunch it up and allow your competition to get up behind you. Stupid.

-Dayton Sportbike class allowing FX bikes to run with 600 SS prepped bikes. WTF?? Aprilia is in WSBK running against Ducs and in-line 1000s. Why in Sportbike against SS 600 inlines?? The Buell makes over 125 hp and it is running in the class... In FX, I could see it as it was only allowed minimal mods and the 600s were allowed decent building allowances... All the bikes were fairly equal in terms of weight and hp. Now? Not at all...

-Supersport having 7 rider grids. HUH? who wants to watch 7 riders? With only allowing 16-21 year olds, it limits who is going to be able to race. The races will be run by more local guys than anything. I think allowing a class for Pro Ams is cool, but 7 rider grids are going to be a joke.

We can watch WSBK the same weekend. You can still find out who won, but if you don't want to know, you just avoid the sites for a day - not two weeks or a week, etc... Then only to get highlights... The upside is that MotoGP and WSBK will get more attention and more fans. The downside is that someone better get this fixed before the AMA goes down in flames...

You aren't alone. The rules and the TV package are going to really test this series. Why wait two weeks for races to air and only to show highlights when it does? This is about as stupid as it gets and I think it is only going to get worse.

Many things that don't make sense:

-Superbike class having racing stopped to bring out the pace car for a dash to the finish. Why? Why not just do 10 lap sprint races and be done with it? All that work you might have done at the start could be for not as they bunch it up and allow your competition to get up behind you. Stupid.

-Dayton Sportbike class allowing FX bikes to run with 600 SS prepped bikes. WTF?? Aprilia is in WSBK running against Ducs and in-line 1000s. Why in Sportbike against SS 600 inlines?? The Buell makes over 125 hp and it is running in the class... In FX, I could see it as it was only allowed minimal mods and the 600s were allowed decent building allowances... All the bikes were fairly equal in terms of weight and hp. Now? Not at all...

-Supersport having 7 rider grids. HUH? who wants to watch 7 riders? With only allowing 16-21 year olds, it limits who is going to be able to race. The races will be run by more local guys than anything. I think allowing a class for Pro Ams is cool, but 7 rider grids are going to be a joke.

We can watch WSBK the same weekend. You can still find out who won, but if you don't want to know, you just avoid the sites for a day - not two weeks or a week, etc... Then only to get highlights... The upside is that MotoGP and WSBK will get more attention and more fans. The downside is that someone better get this fixed before the AMA goes down in flames...

And to make things even worse they cancelled the Miller Round with the WSBK race.

AMA Pro and Miller Motorsports Park Announce Cancellation of AMA Pro Road Racing Events

AMA Pro Daytona SportBike and SuperSport Races to be Rescheduled at Another Venue

DAYTONA BEACH, Florida (March 20, 2009) - AMA Pro Racing and Miller Motorsports Park officials jointly announced today that the AMA Pro Road Racing events previously scheduled to be part of the FIM World Superbike weekend, May 29 - 31, at the Utah road course have been cancelled. That weekend's AMA Pro Daytona SportBike presented by AMSOIL and AMA Pro SuperSport presented by Shoei races will now be rescheduled for another venue in 2009.

"We worked closely with our friends at Miller Motorsports Park in attempting to conclude a business relationship but in the end we were unsuccessful," said AMA Pro Racing President Roger Edmondson. "Although we are disappointed about this turn of events, we hope to return to the Miller facility in the coming years and look forward to their 2009 FIM World Superbike race that marks the return of reigning AMA Pro Road Racing Champion Ben Spies to his home country."

Miller Motorsports Park has previously run an AMA Pro Road Racing weekend every year since the Salt Lake City road course debuted in 2006.

"AMA Pro Racing has been a part of Miller Motorsports Park since the track opened in 2006," said MMP Director of Racing Mitch Wright, "and we have enjoyed a mutually beneficial relationship and some great racing during that time. It is most unfortunate that we were unable to reach an agreement with AMA Pro for this year's event, but it was a business decision that had to be made. We hope to be able to have the AMA Pro teams, riders and officials back at Miller Motorsports Park in the years to come."

"It is regrettable that we were not able to agree on terms with AMA Pro Racing for this year's event," said MMP CEO/President Dan Davis. "Roger Edmondson and his group have been great to work with and both sides negotiated in good faith, but we were unable to bridge the gap between what they felt they needed and what we felt was equitable. Hopefully we can work together again in the future."

AMA Pro Racing is the premier professional motorcycle racing organization in North America, operating a full schedule of events and championships for a variety of motorcycle disciplines. From its Daytona Beach headquarters, the organization operates and manages AMA Pro Road Racing, which includes AMA Pro American Superbike, AMA Pro Daytona SportBike, AMA Pro SuperSport and AMA Pro SunTrust Moto-GT. AMA Pro Racing also manages and works closely with the day-to-day operational organizations of the AMA Pro Flat Track Championship and the AMA Pro Supermoto Championship Series in addition to other two-wheel and ATV series. Learn more about AMA Pro Racing at www.amaproracing.com.

-09-38-

For additional information contact:

AMA Pro Racing Communications, (386) 492-1014, communications@amaproracing.com

AMA is just cancelled.

WSBK is still on according to your article. I think you misunderstood it man. :dunno:

look forward to their 2009 FIM World Superbike race that marks the return of reigning AMA Pro Road Racing Champion Ben Spies to his home country."

It's on according to their site and the WSBK official website too.

HANNspree FIM Superbike World Championship

May 29-31, 2009

TICKETS are on sale now!! Get any reserved grandstand seat for all 3 days with a 3-day paddock pass now for $145.

(Note: STANSBURY 1 & 2 GRANDSTANDS ARE OPEN SEATING, FIRST COME - FIRST SERVED)

The HANNspree FIM Superbike World Championship is the largest, fastest, most exciting and competitive motorcycle racing series to come to Miller Motorsports Park. Your only chance to see these bikes race in America is right here. For more details, or to order by phone, call +1 (435) 277-RACE.

Tickets are on sale now online.

AMA is just cancelled.

WSBK is still on according to your article. I think you misunderstood it man. :dunno:

No, I think you misunderstood my post. I said AMA cancelled the race that was suppose to be during the WSBK rounds.

What is the deal on this? I am still learning all the new rules?

Edited by Casper
fixed quote

No, I think you misunderstood my post. I said AMA cancelled the race that was suppose to be during the WSBK rounds.

Oh, you said "with WSBK" and I figured you were talking about MillerMotosports cancelling their participation with WSBK. Easily to misunderstand with the way it was presented, sorry.:o

What is the deal on this? I am still learning all the new rules?

I mis typed... I was refering to the Dayton 200 event. I do however think the pace car is just plain stupid. One of the unique things about motorcycle racing is the standing start thing. If there's a red flag, start from a dead stop. This rolling start whit behind a pace car is about as dumb as giving Iran free nukes...

Edited by Casper
fixed quote

WSBK is bringing the whole show to Miller this year. Last year racers were complaining the schedule was too tight. With lap times being around 3 minutes, a 30 min practice session, coming in to make an adjustment or two, they were getting 5-6 laps in each session.

Don't get me wrong, as a spectator, it was fantastic, always something lapping on track all day long.

The AMA has not locked in with classes for Laguna this summer either. I can see the same thing happening there too.

Edited by jgetz524
my typing sucks

• 2 weeks later...
I am now watching a race two full weeks after the race actually took place. lol.. what a joke. I'm pissed.

I hear ya and the feel the same way. It all started with that rolling start crap too. We watched the 11 PM race that aired last night at the bar.