Out of state Title xsfer

KennyFKINPowerz

This is the first vehicle I have bought out of state and I need to get the title transferred to me. It is signed by the previous owner. Do I need to do anything different for an out of state title xsfer? Can I just sign it and go get it switched? Do I need to have an inspection done or anything?

You have to drive the car to the DMV and then they come out to verify that the VIN numbers are correct. That's all I had to do when I bought a car from Indiana. I went to a smaller DMV to make things easier.

Doea anyone know a notary? I know you can go gt it done but it usually requires both parties to be there and this guy is 4 hours away.

Unless your know the notary really well, all are required to make sure that the seller is present due to legal issues that can pop up.

I bought a car from a private seller in NJ and the title did not have to be notorized. I just took it to the BMV for the VIN inspection, then to the title agency and back to the BMV for plates and registration.

If the state you bought it from doesn't require notary, Ohio won't make you get it done. You could make a call to the bmv and ask them the specific rules for the state you are transferring from and they will tell you before you go in there.

Some states require a signed (but not notarized) purchase agreement I believe.

If the state you bought it from doesn't require notary, Ohio won't make you get it done. You could make a call to the bmv and ask them the specific rules for the state you are transferring from and they will tell you before you go in there.

I would still get it notarized regardless. It seems these folks at the BMV all have different "rules" so just because the person you called says one thing, the person at the counter may say something totally different.

Does the title have a section on it for notary info? That will answer your question. I think only about 10 states require it. Like said above, take the car to the bmv (on temp tags of course, don't be dumb) and they will verify the vin matches the title. Then go to the title office and its just like normal from there on

When I got my car from Cali all the seller had to do was sign it over and the car was mine. No notary needed. When transferring a car, the tags went with it. I was able to drive back from Cali to here with the California tags that were on the car and it was legal.

• 2 weeks later...
Do they check the engine and underneath the car like for converters or emission stuff I have to get my title trasferred from WV and the car has a x pipe

Not anyone I have done before. They match the title to the VIN on the dash or the door jamb. Nothing else whatsoever.