School Me on Window Tint - Is 50% Even Worth It?

35% all around is a good starting point.

Got 1 ticket in 10 years for it, but some old stickler of a cop.

Alot of how it looks depends on the car's interior, with a 100% black interior, 35% looks MUCH darker than a light interior.

My interior is primarily tan with a black dash and some sweet ass burlwood trim. I'm really considering 35% now, though I think I'd feel better about being 100% legit. :fa:

My interior is primarily tan with a black dash and some sweet ass burlwood trim. I'm really considering 35% now, though I think I'd feel better about being 100% legit. :fa:

If you get bothered for 35% you're doing something wrong. I wouldnt fret about 35% at all.

If you get bothered for 35% you're doing something wrong. I wouldnt fret about 35% at all.

That's what I'm thinking. Between my old-man driving style and the light-ish colored interior I think I should be fine with 35%. Ultimately I would have liked to match the rear, but I think that's pushing my luck too much. Soundls like it's definitely worth paying for the good stuff though.

I get the feeling most people/cops wouldn't even notice a Cherokee anyway, even though it is an awesome super-fast space ship.:gabe:

Thanks to all for the opinions/experience. I'll have to make my final decision and get something done shortly. It's hot as balls out lately.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s50/CincinnatiFiero/7190bc15.jpg

If you look you can see through it and see the garage door in front of the car. In direct sunlight it looks blacked out, but when you, or la-policia comes up on it, its not all that dark

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s50/CincinnatiFiero/da1be506.jpg

28%

I had professional eclipse do it.

I got pulled over three times in one week for tint only. The third time I was told I had one week to drive my car to the police station and show the officer it was removed. If not, I would get ticketed for every little thing possible. Then again, this was on my Supra in Worthington... not much else could be expected. Oh, and 5% all around.

My wife was pulled over in Pickerington earlier this week for tint. Her car is a white Mk5 jetta with 35% all the way around. I was shocked that it happened. The officer asked if she new the "rating" on the window tint and she played stupid. The officer didn't even give a warning verbal or written, he just said they looked a bit dark.

It's important to note that she has at least 3 speeding tickets on her license that have not dropped off.

I've tinted every car I've ever owned and I've only been harassed on 2 occasion about window tint. I typically tiny my cars to 18-23% depending on which shop does my work. my wifes car I had done 18% in the back and 35 in the front and it looks way darker then it really is. That being said my one buddy has ran 50% in the front and 20 in the back for years and I always commented on how much darker it really looks.

My old truck had 5% on the back window and 20% on the sides, and only got "talked" to about it once when I was ticketed for speeding. Drove that truck for nearly 5 years that way, pulled over a few times, never ticketed for tint. My wife's Impala had 35% on the sides and she has never been pulled over at all. I beleive there are just a few cops in and around Columbus who write tickets for stupid shit like neon lights, window tint, and front plates. So some people have more contact with these dick cops then others.

On another note I think 50% is worth it with a quality tint, it will make a noticable difference in heat reduction. Most people who don't like 50% think cars don't look cool unless they have dark windows, and are the same people who give me shit about not having anything on my Camaro. I also don't want to give police any reason to bother me in the Camaro and it gets driven at night most of the time anyway so there is no need for tint.

I called Quality Window Tint on Saturday since they seem to be the go-to guys in the area. Apparently they are pretty popular because they're booked up right now, but I made an appointment for the 3rd. After talking to them I definitely plan to go with the 35% Pinnacle. I asked about windshield tint and it would be around $150 for the windshield alone, so I decided to skip that for now and maybe I'll look at a sample while I'm in there for the side windows.

I called Quality Window Tint on Saturday since they seem to be the go-to guys in the area. Apparently they are pretty popular because they're booked up right now, but I made an appointment for the 3rd. After talking to them I definitely plan to go with the 35% Pinnacle. I asked about windshield tint and it would be around $150 for the windshield alone, so I decided to skip that for now and maybe I'll look at a sample while I'm in there for the side windows.

Yes windshields are very expensive to do, due to the curvature of the glass. $150 for pinnacle on the whole windshield from quality doesnt sound like that bad of a price though.

Yes windshields are very expensive to do, due to the curvature of the glass. $150 for pinnacle on the whole windshield from quality doesnt sound like that bad of a price though.

I'm not sure what she quoted me for the windshield was Pinnacle. Whatever she recommended was only 75% though, which is apparently legal. I have a fold out windshield reflector thing that works fine when I'm parked, so I'm not too sold on the windshield yet. I'm sure it would probably help keep it a little cooler when I'm on the move though. I'll definitely get some more info when I'm in for the sides.

I'm not sure what she quoted me for the windshield was Pinnacle. Whatever she recommended was only 75% though, which is apparently legal. I have a fold out windshield reflector thing that works fine when I'm parked, so I'm not too sold on the windshield yet. I'm sure it would probably help keep it a little cooler when I'm on the move though. I'll definitely get some more info when I'm in for the sides.

75% is what 99.9% of factory "clear" glass is. Whats legal on the front winshield is a 6" strip of any tint %.

I'd pass on the "75%" tint.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's done. I stuck with the 35%. It's early to say, but just from the little bit of driving I did yesterday it seems like it makes a big difference in heat rejection (as it should). It looks a little darker than I expected in some light conditions but you'd have no trouble seeing the driver.

Shitty angled cell pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/twistedfocus/35tint.jpg?t=1312458296