Body shop recommendations part 2.

Patrick

Ok, so got rear ended this evening, and the bumper will need replaced and the hatch will need attention (bent near the bumper).

Any body shop recommendations? The biggest worry I have will be obtaining body parts.

PS: someone in Central Ohio.

And I would prefer saab parts.

I have had a really good experience at Kraft's Body Shop down off of Goodale, they did a nice repair on the side of the Camaro. If your damage is cosmetic I'd recommend them as I don't think they have the equipment to fix anything major. I've delt with McCombs and while they do a great job fixing damage I think their painting sucks. I've had a couple friends use Dodd's out here on E Main with nice results.

In before everyone says Kevin Clifford.

I think the issue with most body shops is they're always working around a budget that the insurance company or customer dictates which means they have to cut corners in order to not loose their ass on the job. Most of this isn't an inability to do the work, it's all budget driven. I've seen shops turn out top notch work when they're paid appropriately, and the same shop turn out shit work at the very same time because the customer or insurance company wanted to pay $x.xx for the job.

If you expect the job to be done well be up front with whoever is doing the repair, tell them you'll pay a little extra to have it done correctly and done correctly the first time. Make your expectations known up front so there are no issues when you go to pick it up. Do your homework and pick a reputable shop (board sponsors).

Andy

Jackson's in Marysville is top notch, but they are expensive. I had them paint a door for me and it match my resprayed car perfectly even though they did not know the paint code of the car. You will get nothing but the best from them.

Rife's fixed the door and rear bumper on my VW and they did a phenomenal job.. You'd be hard pressed to notice there has been work done. Even the whites match, which is hard when you have a white car over 10 years old.

I think the issue with most body shops is they're always working around a budget that the insurance company or customer dictates which means they have to cut corners in order to not loose their ass on the job. Most of this isn't an inability to do the work, it's all budget driven. I've seen shops turn out top notch work when they're paid appropriately, and the same shop turn out shit work at the very same time because the customer or insurance company wanted to pay $x.xx for the job.

If you expect the job to be done well be up front with whoever is doing the repair, tell them you'll pay a little extra to have it done correctly and done correctly the first time. Make your expectations known up front so there are no issues when you go to pick it up. Do your homework and pick a reputable shop (board sponsors).

Andy

+1 Thats why I always throw Vic's out there. He wont claim to save your deductable because most body shops that do that, cut corners on the repair to make that up. I have watched Vic throw several insurance companies, out of his shop because they want to cut corners on repairs.

I'm going to be speaking to the insurance people soon, everything structural looks fine, but I am not a body guy. I am going to be doing a ton of homework on this, I just hope the process will be smooth.

Kevin did a great job on Erica's Dad's Saturn. Even hand laid the pin striping that matched perfectly. Couldn't be happier with the work.

Obviously no one posting in here has dealt with Kevin, then.

Take the car to Clifford Automotive and talk with him. Then you'll see why you should take the car there.

+1 Thats why I always throw Vic's out there. He wont claim to save your deductable because most body shops that do that, cut corners on the repair to make that up. I have watched Vic throw several insurance companies, out of his shop because they want to cut corners on repairs.

Not true. If I buy the parts right, which normally is because of who Ive worked for in the past and who I know. I can buy parts cheaper then everyone else.

Bill parts at list on the job, actually buying parts at below cost, and billing internally at cost. I can help with a deductible and still make the money I need to make. If you dont understand that, heres a better way to look at it. The insurance company pays me 200 for a part, my cost is 100 but I actually paided 50, thats 50 more that I make on it. So thats 50 off a deductible that I can help with. Do that on multiple parts and it can add up to the whole deductible if the jobs big enough.

Now that doesnt happen on every vehicle, and I can tell after the estimate if its a possibility or not. I always tell the customer to be prepared to pay the whole deductible, though I may be able to help them. Not knowing for sure until I have bought, and billed every individual part.

Thanks Guys.

Not true. If I buy the parts right, which normally is because of who Ive worked for in the past and who I know. I can buy parts cheaper then everyone else.

Bill parts at list on the job, actually buying parts at below cost, and billing internally at cost. I can help with a deductible and still make the money I need to make. If you dont understand that, heres a better way to look at it. The insurance company pays me 200 for a part, my cost is 100 but I actually paided 50, thats 50 more that I make on it. So thats 50 off a deductible that I can help with. Do that on multiple parts and it can add up to the whole deductible if the jobs big enough.

Now that doesnt happen on every vehicle, and I can tell after the estimate if its a possibility or not. I always tell the customer to be prepared to pay the whole deductible, though I may be able to help them. Not knowing for sure until I have bought, and billed every individual part.

Thanks Guys.

In that case it is true but the shops stating up front that they will save your deductible are usually not doing that. The fact that you have some hook ups gives you a lot more room on that than most shops.

I wont argue the point back and forth. I will just state that I have been in the body shop industry for 12 year, and on every end of it.

Now one shop that will save your deductible and make a killing on your insurance job, is 3C Body Shop, they are the mud slinging kings in Columbus. I could write a book on their advertising antics, and they way he actually runs his shops.