c5 running hot

Stimmel1647545512

99 c5 new water pump fresh coolant flush new stock thermostat coolant is full car has 100k on the clock car runs at 198-204 all day long sit in trafffic temp starts to climb i let it idle on the street after dinner while moving the 73 for a few , got in temp said 228 kinda high for my likings any way to make sure the fans are working? the temp drops pretty well when i turn the heat on but thats works in everything....

just wondering if im missing something

Perhaps the coolant/water ratio is off? Back when I had my Cadillac (northstar) I would get crazy temp readings if the mixture wasn't 50/50 on the dot. And the caddy needed burped like no other, however it would overheat whenever it had an air pocket, as opposed to just run hot.

those run 220* normally. every LSx engine does until you install a lower temp stat and change the fan on temp.

We had a GM powertrain engineer on Caddyinfo for years who gave us all sorts of insight on GM engines. One of the things he kept repeating over and over again was the fact that the Northstar/LSx engines were designed to run hot (220's - 230's) and they would live longer routinely operating at those temps. One thing he always stressed was NOT to change the thermostat/fuck with the fans - those Engines are designed to run @ high temps, decreasing the operating temp decreased the life of the engine.

Should also add temperature concerns from "old timers" was one of the main reasons GM phased-out the digital temp readings on Cadillacs...I guess they got sick of people complaining that there car was running hot when it was simply running as designed.

Edited by acklac7

We had a GM powertrain engineer on Caddyinfo for years who gave us all sorts of insight on GM engines. One of the things he kept repeating over and over again was the fact that the Northstar/LSx engines were designed to run hot (220's - 230's) and they would live longer routinely operating at those temps. One thing he always stressed was NOT to change the thermostat/fuck with the fans - those Engines are designed to run @ high temps, decreasing the operating temp decreased the life of the engine.

Should also add temperature concerns from "old timers" was one of the main reasons GM phased-out the digital temp readings on Cadillacs...I guess they got sick of people complaining that there car was running hot when it was simply running as designed.

for as many miles these cars are going to see i don't even see them failing because they were run cooler.

for as many miles these cars are going to see i don't even see them failing because they were run cooler.

don't shoot the messenger. Trust me this guy would argue with TONS of people about the temp issues and he always won the argument because he would literally provide pages of evidence as to why it was beneficial for those high-performance engines to periodically run hot. Sadly GM found out about all of this and sued the board(s) and had all of his posts removed...bullshit.

*removed most of his posts* If anyones interested some of his write-ups can still be found on cadillacowners under the screen name "chevelle", however most of his best posts under another user name have been removed.

Edited by acklac7

They make more power when they run cooler.

Yea im by no means an expert, just repeating what I heard. As I recall there were issues with carbon build-up,gas mileage,and oil contaminants that were solved (or lessened) if the engines were allowed to periodically run in the 220's-230's.