Starter issues

acklac7

'92 Lexus SC300.

Initial problem: Turned the key and all I got was "click...click...click....nothing" Whapped it with a hammer and it turned over just for a milli-second then nothing. Pulled the starter and found the contacts badly worn, replaced them, had the starter tested (tested fine) reinstalled the starter and now nothing, zilch, nada. No clicks, no nothing. Checked all the relays,fuses etc - all good. Factory anti-theft arms/disarms no problem. When I go to turn the key to "start" the dash goes blank and I get zilch:confused:

Also has an aftermarket alarm that I dont have a fob for...Hoping to hell it's not the source of the problem.

Ideas?

Edited by acklac7

Stupid question but you do have enough power to start the car right? Headlights and everything work? When you bench test a starter it doesent take into account load... it might be shooting out and spinning but maby not enough tq to get it to turn over. Also you do have the ground and power all tightened?

You could trgy to reset aftermarket alarm... unhoook battery for 30 min or so and hook it back up( should work unless the alarm holds power in some internal battery)

Yea battery is basically brand new, fully charged. Lights/Accessories come on full power. The most frustrating thing about all this is I had power to the starter before I pulled it, now after reman'ing it I get nothing. Guess im going to pull it again and verify all the connections, thankfully it takes all of 10min to pull..love Toyotas.

I've listened under the car while the key is turned to "start" and I hear nothing. Also had Oriely's test it and it checked out fine (according to there comp/tester). Lexus's have a starter-cut built into there factory anti-theft system so im guessing that is where the problem lies, that or the aftermarket alarm system - fucking thing is pissing me off.

so pulled the starter, tightened the contact bolts, hooked up starter and left it laying on the crossmember: starter turned every time I went to crank it.

Re-installed starter into housing and now nothing:doh:

Maybe take it to advanced and have them test it?

well there's a little button/switch coming from the brain of the alarm, but im pretty sure it's a kill switch.

At this point im almost positive the starter is bad, even though it tested out ok. I mean it cranks/spins when it's not in the housing and the key is turned to start. Then once installed I get nothing...

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced starter.

Left laying on crossmember: fired like a champ.

Installed into housing and nada, same shit...

At this point I would almost think the engine is locked up but I got it to turn over once when I wacked the old starter with a hammer.

Going to take it out for the like 5th time here in a bit and inspect the little switch wire or w/e with a microscope, already checked the positive and it looked fine.

So you know the starter turns over when given 12v, and you know the starter won't turn the motor over. Maybe step back, you could be getting burned out.

If you can hear the starter engage when you turn the key and everything is hooked up, something is keeping the motor from turning over. If you can't hear the starter engage, replace starter. It's not unusual for replacement starters to be junk, depending on exactly what you bought.

Stick a breaker bar on the crank bolt and see if she turns over.

Starter engages while laying on the crossmember. Then I turn the key to off, take it out (key), then put it back in and turn to start and nothing . It looks like some wiring/computer issue at this point...Gonna take me a bit im sure but i'll give an update when I get it figured out.

This might sound stupid and probably doesn't apply to this particular car, but just for good measure try jiggling the key a bit as you turn it in the ignition next time. I know on VAG ignition cylinders when they get worn and stop engaging you can sometimes get by applying pressure on the key in different angles when turning it.

So you have verified the starter is getting good voltage, the ground is sufficient, and the motor does actually turn over? Have you tried jumping the starter with a screwdriver when it's installed?

This might sound stupid and probably doesn't apply to this particular car, but just for good measure try jiggling the key a bit as you turn it in the ignition next time. I know on VAG ignition cylinders when they get worn and stop engaging you can sometimes get by applying pressure on the key in different angles when turning it.

So you have verified the starter is getting good voltage, the ground is sufficient, and the motor does actually turn over? Have you tried jumping the starter with a screwdriver when it's installed?

Yea one of the next things I was going to do was take a look at the ignition. I've read where several people have had to install push-starts in situations like mine.

Yes i verified all 3, not to sound n00bish but how would I jump the starter with a screw driver?

Yes i verified all 3, not to sound n00bish but how would I jump the starter with a screw driver?

With the starter hooked up to 12v, short across the terminals with a screw driver. That's all there is to it. Works best when dark, raining, sleeting, and/or during wintertime.