Official Football 2011 Thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be surprised if he was closer to 6'1", 215. I think he gave some measurement updates in some recruiting updates that were around those numbers but I haven't paid much attention to the recruiting this season...lol.

And it will be interesting to see who bails when Urban is announced. Both from transfers and decommitments. Brionte Dunn already hinted that he'd probably be gone if Urban gets the job when asked over the weekend. And there is always, ALWAYS attrition with any new coach that comes in. But with Urban there will also be new interest from elite players all across the country.

I think Brionte is a silent UM commit even though he's verbally commited to tOSU. He just seems to me like his heart really isn't at Ohio State. If thats the case then he should just decommit already and move on. I've followed his recruiting and to me he hasn't seemed 100% commited this entire time.

I haven't followed the rest of the recruiting a whole lot either to be honest. I do like the Tyvis Powell kid (read his blogs and it will show you why). I think anyone that commits to Ohio State this year is a real Buckeye.

Yeah, the kids like Ball, Powell, Murray, Perry, Epitropolous, etc. who have never even thought about visiting another school are just diehard Buckeyes. I don't fault a kid like Dunn for looking around through all of this. And I won't fault him when he bails on Meyer because he doesn't think he has a real place in Meyer's offense. A kid like Kalis though, who talked himself up as a true Buckeye who was going to lead this class through all the crap then a week later switches to Michigan... douchebag.

And to go back to the RB discussion, Hall is going to fit beautifully into Urban's system. Who knows what Hyde would do. Smith played some WR in HS so he can catch the ball and work in Urban's system as a RB and he will most likely be back at RB by spring practice - of course who knows with an all new staff coming in on the offensive side of the ball. Then Ball is very similar to Smith as far as their playing style is concerned. Then again, who knows what Meyer will even want to run at OSU. He took his offense to the SEC and won 2 national titles when people didn't think it could be done but you never know. He struggled a bit at the end with Brantley so maybe he'll put some more pro style stuff in at OSU.

The only running back Meyer ever had at Florida was Tim Tebow lol. I don't think Hall is all the explosive to be quite honest. I expected him to be a Reggie Bush type player given his size and ability to catch the ball, but he just hasn't shown me that either. Aside from a kickoff return for TD against Michigan last year he hasn't really impressed me. Hell even that play was helped largly in part by a huge block from Berry. I know the 2013 class is supposedly absolutely loaded, highlighted by Jalin Marshal who is a Percy Harvin clone in my opinion

I agree about Kalis, that kids a douche. I don't tend to hate on highschool kids, but he went about things the absolute wrong way. Oh well hope he enjoys losing to the bucks for 4-5 years while up north.

You know whats funny about the 2012 class, its supposedly a down year for OSU recruiting yet they will most likely finish in the top 15 nationally. Not bad for a down year lol

I think Hall can be very good in a Harvin-esque role because he's a great receiver out of the backfield. Of course, we haven't seen too much of this at OSU because of the lack of offensive creativity but he's shown good stuff on returns and has a couple receiving TD's this year.

And yeah, Marshall is going to be absolutely perfect for Meyer. He comes in and almost immediately is gifted his next Percy Harvin...lol.

And my absolute favorite part of this recruiting class? If you sort by star average on Scout, this "down" OSU class is only .08 behind Michigan's "amazing" class. Getting Adolphus Washington and maybe Dwayne Stanford on Tuesday will help that even more then who knows what Urban will do in the final months of the 2012 recruiting season. As frustrating as losing Tressel and going through this season has been as a fan, it's going to be an exciting next few months for lots of OSU stuff (new coach, bowl game, finish the recruiting class, basketball, etc.).

The year they beat OSU in the title game their leading rusher was DeShawn Wynn. 5'10", 230lbs. Of course, Meyer didn't recruit him. Then their 3rd best rusher in 2007 (behind Tebow and Harvin) was Kestahn Moore, 5'10", 214. 2008 was when they really started going crazy with the little dudes (Demps, Rainey and Harvin) flanking Tebow as the hammer. Of course, they also won a national title that year.

The year they beat OSU in the title game their leading rusher was DeShawn Wynn. 5'10", 230lbs. Of course, Meyer didn't recruit him. Then their 3rd best rusher in 2007 (behind Tebow and Harvin) was Kestahn Moore, 5'10", 214. 2008 was when they really started going crazy with the little dudes (Demps, Rainey and Harvin) flanking Tebow as the hammer. Of course, they also won a national title that year.

They also ran a combo offense in 2006 because Tebow was a Frosh. With Braxton Miller, I don't think Urban would ease into it. Jordan Hall would be his guy. I just don't see Hyde fitting in at all. Harvin was the leading rusher, but is a WR in the NFL. Hyde will solely be a RB in the NFL.

It will be interesting to see what Meyer runs. The rumored OC he wants to bring with him is Greg Studrawa. Currently the OC at LSU, from Ohio, did a stint at OSU as a graduate assistant and coached Urban's OL at BGSU. LSU currently has 3 RB's 215lbs. or heavier leading their team in rushing (1,700+ yards and 20 TD's between the 3 of them). Could be a sign that Urban wants to or knows he has to run a more traditional offense in the B1G?

Also, Urban offered and recruited Hyde at UF.

It will be interesting to see what Meyer runs. The rumored OC he wants to bring with him is Greg Studrawa. Currently the OC at LSU, from Ohio, did a stint at OSU as a graduate assistant and coached Urban's OL at BGSU. LSU currently has 3 RB's 215lbs. or heavier leading their team in rushing (1,700+ yards and 20 TD's between the 3 of them). Could be a sign that Urban wants to or knows he has to run a more traditional offense in the B1G?
Stud is just calling plays in Kragthorpe's offense. He is only OC because Kraghtorpe stepped down early in camp due to Parkinsons

Also, Urban offered and recruited Hyde at UF.

That's pretty telling that Hyde has no interest in playing in an Urban Meyer offense.

Stud is just calling plays in Kragthorpe's offense. He is only OC because Kraghtorpe stepped down early in camp due to Parkinsons

That's pretty telling that Hyde has no interest in playing in an Urban Meyer offense.

Yeah, I know this is Stud's first go as OC and Kragthorpe is still there helping him out but Stud is an OL guy so I don't think he'd be all about Urban's Florida spread.

And Hyde was always an OSU lock though. From Ohio, only moved to Florida to live with his grandma and play his HS ball in Florida. Just pointing out that he was offered by Urban so Urban probably had a plan for him.

Yeah, I know this is Stud's first go as OC and Kragthorpe is still there helping him out but Stud is an OL guy so I don't think he'd be all about Urban's Florida spread.
Don't let this freak you out but Stud ran the spread when he was the OC at BGSU for 4 years.

And Hyde was always an OSU lock though. From Ohio, only moved to Florida to live with his grandma and play his HS ball in Florida. Just pointing out that he was offered by Urban so Urban probably had a plan for him.

That doesn't mean that Hyde wants to be part of that plan. From his comments and so on, he sound slike he wants to be a 30 carries per game type of back.

Carlos Hyde won't leave tOSU without giving Urban Meyer a shot. He came to tOSU not because he wasn't interested in Urban Meyers offense. He commited to tOSU because he is a buckeye at heart. Also Urban Meyer is great at utilizing a players talent to help a team win. Hyde will be in Urbans plans if Urban came to tOSU.

Carlos Hyde won't leave tOSU without giving Urban Meyer a shot. He came to tOSU not because he wasn't interested in Urban Meyers offense. He commited to tOSU because he is a buckeye at heart. Also Urban Meyer is great at utilizing a players talent to help a team win. Hyde will be in Urbans plans if Urban came to tOSU.

I don't think Hyde stays. He wants to be a 30 carry per game guy. That isn't going to happen when Meyer and Stud have Hall and Miller. Look at Stud's offenses at BGSU, they were the Harris and Jacobs shows. Not the pound it up the middle 30 times per game shows.

If he wants to leave then bon voyage!! Hope he tears it up at a school like Central Florida because that is about the level of school most people that transfer out end up at. There of course is exceptions like Ryan Mallet and Justin Boren from Michigan (Arkansas and Ohio State respectivley), but you also have guys like Sam McGuffie who was recruited by everyone in the world, went to Michigan didnt like it, transfered to Rice!

I think Hyde should stick it out and atleast see what kind of offense Meyer is going to run. Like I said, it's not like OSU is absolutely going to be loaded at running back next year like they once looked to be. I honestly think a player like Jamaal Berry would benifit the most from Urban coming in, but that guy can't keep his ass out of trouble and will most likely not even be here next year.

If he wants to leave then bon voyage!! Hope he tears it up at a school like Central Florida because that is about the level of school most people that transfer out end up at. There of course is exceptions like Ryan Mallet and Justin Boren from Michigan (Arkansas and Ohio State respectivley), but you also have guys like Sam McGuffie who was recruited by everyone in the world, went to Michigan didnt like it, transfered to Rice!
I think Hyde would end up at an SEC school that runs a traditional offense. Coaching change is about the only time you get solid transfers in Football.

I think Hyde should stick it out and atleast see what kind of offense Meyer is going to run. Like I said, it's not like OSU is absolutely going to be loaded at running back next year like they once looked to be. I honestly think a player like Jamaal Berry would benifit the most from Urban coming in, but that guy can't keep his ass out of trouble and will most likely not even be here next year.
If he sticks it out for a year and hardly gets any carries, he wouldn't be able to play again until 2014, and that is when you see guys drop down in division. He would only have 1 year to play.

How many SEC schools run a traditional offense? Hell how many schools in general outside of the Big10 still run a traditional offense? Almost every school runs some form of the spread or they pass a ton. In the SEC I think Alabama is the only school that runs the traditional offense but I don't see Hyde ending up there. Like I said I think his best bet is to stick it out. If he wants to be a 30+ carrie guy he's not even at the right school currently. Hell there has only been 1 game this year where Boom has gotten more 30 carries and only averaging 21 carries a game since returning.

Edited because I looked up the rules lol. He would have to sit out a year then have 2 years left. Thats what happened with Justin Bored who left Michigan after his sophmore year, he then had his Jr and Sr year here at OSU after waiting a year.

How many SEC schools run a traditional offense? Hell how many schools in general outside of the Big10 still run a traditional offense? Almost every school runs some form of the spread or they pass a ton. In the SEC I think Alabama is the only school that runs the traditional offense but I don't see Hyde ending up there.
Alabama, LSU,Georgia, Tenn (they try but suck), Auburn (don't let the cam year fool you, Dyer has 229 carries, and between 2 QB's they have 80 carries) Just to name some of the higher tier schools
Like I said I think his best bet is to stick it out. If he wants to be a 30+ carrie guy he's not even at the right school currently. Hell there has only been 1 game this year where Boom has gotten more 30 carries and only averaging 21 carries a game since returning.
It's hard to get that many carries when your offense can't stay on the field or every first down goes for <3 yards.

BTW if he transfers now he'll only have 1 year left to play regardless. He is a jr next year, unless he drops down to a school like Youngstown State. I believe that is the rule, but it may only apply to those transfering to a school in the same conference

He has a redshirt he can burn