Official Football 2011 Thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

Ok...you can't play in a redshirt year, so thats null and void. He would have 2 years remaining to play if I read the rules right. Like I said Justin Boren had 2 years worth left when he came to Ohio State. The only worthwhile reason for him to use a redshirt would be to get seperation from other backs in the same year of eligibility, but remember he is already 3 years out of highschool, sit out next year, then redshirt theres 5 years, 2 years worth of playing in college, he is now a 26 year old rookie running back in the NFL, thats about the age where most start being considered old.

I gave you Alabama...

LSU uses 2 qb's one of which is mobile. No back on the team has gotten 30 carries in a game and their leading rusher (sophmore) averages 16 carries per contest.

UGA has a freshman running back who is the leading rusher and has only had 1 game of over 30 carries and averaging 17.2 carries a game.

Tennesee's top back has never gotten more then 24 carries in a game this year and is averaging 16 carries a game.

Like I said, where is he going to go and get 30+ carries a game outside of the big 10? He might as well go to Wisconsin if he wants to be that type of back.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Hyde stays. He wants to be a 30 carry per game guy. That isn't going to happen when Meyer and Stud have Hall and Miller. Look at Stud's offenses at BGSU, they were the Harris and Jacobs shows. Not the pound it up the middle 30 times per game shows.

If he wants more than 30 carries per game running, he needs to start holding on to the ball and get much much better as a running back. Even if he played in a traditional offense, I doubt he can get 30 carries a game. He would probably be sharing time with another running back or 2. His best bet is to stick it out and see what happens.

Looks like the most "set in stone" piece of Meyer's staff at OSU so far is Mickey Marotti. Current S&C director at UF. Got his masters at OSU and was Urban's S&C guy at UF. Funny quote from Muschamp (current UF HC) the other day talking about "I don't know why Urban would get back into coaching with his deteriorating health." It was an obvious shot at Urban for "flaking out" or whatever at UF and getting back into coaching so soon. Plus, Muschamp is probably mad that he may end up losing 1-2 assistants to Meyer at OSU...lol.

Ok...you can't play in a redshirt year, so thats null and void. He would have 2 years remaining to play if I read the rules right. Like I said Justin Boren had 2 years worth left when he came to Ohio State. The only worthwhile reason for him to use a redshirt would be to get seperation from other backs in the same year of eligibility, but remember he is already 3 years out of highschool, sit out next year, then redshirt theres 5 years, 2 years worth of playing in college, he is now a 26 year old rookie running back in the NFL, thats about the age where most start being considered old.

Your math sucks. He would be 23. He can redshirt his transfer year.

I gave you Alabama...

LSU uses 2 qb's one of which is mobile. No back on the team has gotten 30 carries in a game and their leading rusher (sophmore) averages 16 carries per contest.

2 backs over 100 carries, and the back who has 160 carries only averages 4.1 ypc.

UGA has a freshman running back who is the leading rusher and has only had 1 game of over 30 carries and averaging 17.2 carries a game.
They have 4 backs they use, average a total of 32 carries per game. The average YPC for those 4 is 4.5 ypc, which is why they are using 4

Tennesee's top back has never gotten more then 24 carries in a game this year and is averaging 16 carries a game.
This is where the debate that they AREN'T a traditional team gets funny. Tenn mainly uses 2 backs, total of 246 carries for a whopping 3.75 ypc. Like I said, they try to run, but suck.

those teams all want to run the ball, and Hyde is a better back than all of those backs. 5.2 YPC with a 63 long.

If he wants more than 30 carries per game running, he needs to start holding on to the ball and get much much better as a running back. Even if he played in a traditional offense, I doubt he can get 30 carries a game. He would probably be sharing time with another running back or 2. His best bet is to stick it out and see what happens.

Rod Smith was the fumble monster

What the fuck does a redshirt year during the year he transfers have to do with anything? He still wont be allowed to play!!! You can't play in a year that you redshirt, so he would be stupid to use a redshirt his transfer year, that would just be wasting it.

My math sucks? He's been out of highschool 3 years already, that puts him at 21-22, sit out next year hes 22-23, redshirt at some point, theres 23-24, play 2 years, theres 25-26...Even if he doesn't use a redshirt after sitting out next year should he transfer he'd still be 24ish by the time he graduates college.

Ok no one uses a single back anymore, you're proving my point. He would not be a 30+ a game back anywhere! Those days are long gone my man

Is it just me, or does everyone seem to be fumbling at crucial times for Ohio State?

Boom Herron/Jordan Hall (wildcat exchange botch-job) - Penn State game.

Hyde - Penn State game.

Jordan Hall - Wisconsin game (muffed punt, should have cost us the game).

Rod Smith - every time he touched the ball.

And, while I'm on things that seem so out of character, why does this Ohio State defense miss so many fucking tackles?

I like that some of our defensive guys know how to pop people. I like that attitude/swagger. However, it seems dumb paired with some many guys routinely whiffing. It's like, guys, tackle first, swag later, you know?

Not sure what is going on with the transfer debate above but if he left after this season Hyde would have 3 years to play 2. The redshirt would basically be automatically applied to his "sit out" year then he'd play in the 2013 and 2014 seasons wherever he landed.

But all of this talk is waaaaay premature and I personally don't care what happens to him if he leaves OSU anyways...lol.

The biggest whiffer on this team is Christian Bryant. That kid goes for a ESPN top 10 play of the week type hit each and every time. I think I mentioned it already in this thread, but his whiff against the Nebraska RB cost us that game in my opinion. He along with Travis Howard annoy the hell out of me to watch. I would rather have Dominic Clarke in there over Howard.

Aside from the fumbles there have been a ton of bad snaps from Mike Brewster which really suprises me. Honestly this has been the worst year of his career here at Ohio State. He has missed a ton of blocks to go along with the bad snaps. I think LeCharles Bentley is correct when he said taht this Senior class has given up.

Who is the last transfer to leave Ohio State and actually do something with themselves?

What the fuck does a redshirt year during the year he transfers have to do with anything? He still wont be allowed to play!!! You can't play in a year that you redshirt, so he would be stupid to use a redshirt his transfer year, that would just be wasting it.
uhhh. If he doesn't use his redshirt during the year he has to sit out, he only has 1 year of eligibility left. A transfer year has to burn eligibility, either through redshirt or a year of eligible. If he transferred now and did not take a redshirt during that year, he would only have 1 year left to play (RS year you don't play) so he wouldn't take a carry until 2013 and then have to enter the 2013 draft. If he takes the redshirt during his transfer year, he has 2 years to play, 2013 and 2014.

My math sucks? He's been out of highschool 3 years already, that puts him at 21-22, sit out next year hes 22-23, redshirt at some point, theres 23-24, play 2 years, theres 25-26...Even if he doesn't use a redshirt after sitting out next year should he transfer he'd still be 24ish by the time he graduates college.
I thought he was born in 91-92 like all the other 2009 guys, he is older and was born in 1990. You are still wrong about how the redshirt and transfer works though. He would only be 24 when drafted (birthday, sept 20 1990, draft would be april 2015, 24 years and 8 months)

Ok no one uses a single back anymore, you're proving my point. He would not be a 30+ a game back anywhere! Those days are long gone my man

A solid back is going to get around 25 carries per game.

Who is the last transfer to leave Ohio State and actually do something with themselves?

One of the Underwoods transferred out his senior year and ended up in the NFL I believe. Don't think he stuck but I remember him getting some play. That's pretty much it.

Ok so he'd be a Jr when he arrived at his new school. So which team in the SEC would he go to? Like I stated most of those schools have young running backs right now.

25 carries a game huh, Trent Richardson is only getting 21 a game....So we've went from 30+ a game to 25 only to see that the supposed best running back in the country only averages 21 a game and has a season high of 32 carries (twice).

Again long gone are the days of 1 back getting the ball 30+ times a game

One of the Underwoods transferred out his senior year and ended up in the NFL I believe. Don't think he stuck but I remember him getting some play. That's pretty much it.

OSU also hasn't had a major change in coaching philosphy......ever really. That's when you see transfers who go on to have sucess. Guys leaving cause they are pissed about playing time never really amount to anything.

Hell i can't remember I know a lot of guys have transfered only to never be heard from again

Eric Haw

Eugene Clifford

Rocco Pentello

Lamar Thomas

Duron Carter

James Jackson

James Louis

Sam Longo

Sammy Maldanado

Dorian Bell

Those are off the top of my head. Looking at that list I have to scratch my head on some of them, there are 4 WR's (Carter, Louis, Jackson, Thomas) who would most likely be playing right now at Ohio State on that list and a linebacker (Bell who if he'd given up pot would prob be playing too)

Ok so he'd be a Jr when he arrived at his new school. So which team in the SEC would he go to? Like I stated most of those schools have young running backs right now.

25 carries a game huh, Trent Richardson is only getting 21 a game....So we've went from 30+ a game to 25 only to see that the supposed best running back in the country only averages 21 a game and has a season high of 32 carries (twice).

Again long gone are the days of 1 back getting the ball 30+ times a game

Just because I said he is the kind of guy who WANTS 30 carries a game, doesn't mean he will fully get that anywhere. Any of the teams I listed would probably be happy to have him, minus Alabama who probably don't care (although they took Duron Carter if he ever qualifies)

Who is the last big name guy not named Ryan Mallet to transfer and have success at another school (this is a serious question not some underlying asshole mannerism behind it lol)

Russel Wilson

Just because I said he is the kind of guy who WANTS 30 carries a game, doesn't mean he will fully get that anywhere. Any of the teams I listed would probably be happy to have him, minus Alabama who probably don't care (although they took Duron Carter if he ever qualifies)

He should be fucking thankful for the carries he got this year. Had boom not been suspended, Hyde gets 0 carries this year unless OSU was up by 40 and we both know that didnt happen a lot lol. Hell he could've been 4th or 5th on the depth chart if Berry stayed out of trouble and Smith held on to the ball.

Basically it has to be a very, very special case for a kid with the talent to succeed anywhere to leave their current school.

Mallett didn't fit at all into Rich Rod's offense

Boren hated Rich Rod

Wilson was basically kicked off the team at NC State because he wanted to play some baseball

He should be fucking thankful for the carries he got this year. Had boom not been suspended, Hyde gets 0 carries this year unless OSU was up by 40 and we both know that didnt happen a lot lol. Hell he could've been 4th or 5th on the depth chart if Berry stayed out of trouble and Smith held on to the ball.

Hyde has the best YPC on the team. He's a different back than Boom but just as good IMO. Definitely better than Hall for that type of system.

Basically it has to be a very, very special case for a kid with the talent to succeed anywhere to leave their current school.

Mallett didn't fit at all into Rich Rod's offense

Boren hated Rich Rod

Wilson was basically kicked off the team at NC State because he wanted to play some baseball

You just don't see schools change systems and philosophies as drastically as UM did all that often. When you do they usually aren't very high profile schools.

Oh, let's not forget Kerr and Schlagel transferring into OSU.

Did you just say Hyde is as good as Boom? You should take a second to look up where Boom currently sits on the all time rushing list and all time TD list for Ohio State and then report back stating that Hyde is just as good. If he was just as good as Boom he wouldn't have been 3rd string coming into the season. Boom has the best vision of any of the backs on this team, blocks the best and has proven that over the last 2 years. This team totally changed when Boom came back, while it struggled with Hall and Hyde carrying the ball the majority of the time while he was gone. Like I said I like Hyde and he has shown glimpses of being really good, but to say he is on par with Boom is ridiculos and laughable

Changing topics again for a second, Ryan Shazier is a beast! He was just named b10 defensive player of the week and they posted up his stats, not bad for a guy that mainly played special teams all year (PSU was 1st start and he had 15 tackles lol) "Shazier now has 39 tackles on the season, including five tackles for loss, three sacks and two forced fumbles. He also blocked a punt that led to a touchdown in the win over Wisconsin..."

Kerr was average here at Ohio State and Schlagel benifited from having Carpenter and Hawk in the same unit as him. Although I do like Schlagel and thought he played LB very well here. That was probablly my favorite LB unit of all time (my time) here at OSU

I don't think Hyde is anywhere near as good as Boom. I think he's better than Hall as a straight up RB but Hall brings something extra with his receiving ability so it's close but I still go Hyde.

Did you just say Hyde is as good as Boom? You should take a second to look up where Boom currently sits on the all time rushing list and all time TD list for Ohio State and then report back stating that Hyde is just as good. If he was just as good as Boom he wouldn't have been 3rd string coming into the season. Boom has the best vision of any of the backs on this team, blocks the best and has proven that over the last 2 years. This team totally changed when Boom came back, while it struggled with Hall and Hyde carrying the ball the majority of the time while he was gone. Like I said I like Hyde and he has shown glimpses of being really good, but to say he is on par with Boom is ridiculos and laughable

ridiculous*

I said they were different types of backs, but yes, he is on the same level as Boom when it comes to their different styles.