Now I need legal advice

Rally Pat

To make a long story short, DeVry is coming after me for an amount of money that simply do not owe them. When I ask for proof that I owe them said money, they have said "well, we will send you an itemized list in the mail". The itemized list does not say what I owe the money for. Its just a record of money that has moved around my account over the past few years that I was there. When the person at corporate I have been dealing with calls me again after that, she says the same stuff over and over, and when I say the same things I have been saying, she says that she is going to send me ANOTHER itemized list. I told her that she had already sent me that, but she says that they have no record that they had sent it out. I demand to talk to her superior, who was apparently on vacation. She transfered me there, I left a very not nice message, and all of my contact information, and never received back any communication. I send an email to the finance person at the local DeVry campus, never receive any contact from her either. I continue to receive harassing phone calls, saying the same thing over and over, and instead of cooperation, the girl on the other end just threatens collections agencies on me. Today, I receive a letter in the mail saying that I have 48 hours to pay the money, before they turn me over to a credit bureau or some shit. Of course, when I get it, its already been several days, let alone 48 hours. I called the number listed on the paper, and stated the same things again and left all of my contact information.

The point, for all the TL-DR people:

Basically, I need to know how to defend myself, or better yet, how to be the one that takes the first shot. Do I need to get a lawyer? I can't really afford one, but if thats what it takes. Who do I go to? I have a theory as to why the balance is there, but if my theory is correct, its still DeVry's mistake and I am not going to give them free money.

send a letter certified mail w/ signature confirmation saying you're disputing the debt, request proof that you owe the debt. keep copies of letter(s) sent, receipts of delivery, etc

then go from there once you get, or don't get what you asked for. if they put it on your credit report, you can dispute it with the 3 majors (equifax, experian, transunion). they will request proof of the debt, if they dont respond within 30 days, it must come off your report

FWIW ditch the emails and call, set an appointment with the decision makers not pions. Go in with an agenda to crystal clear clarify what services the are showing billed and corresponding payments the received. Then have them clarify what's been billed but not paid. Have them walk you through it all. It's all about robust dialog. I wouldn't leave until things are clear.

FWIW ditch the emails and call, set an appointment with the decision makers not pions.

I couldn't agree more with Tim on this. Meeting with a pion may have some appeal, since they're spinless, but they aren't good intermediators unless you're a nucleon.

My last meeting with a pion went poorly once I found out it was just a pseudoscalar. :(

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/250px-Quark_structure_pion_svg.png

See, this is why you should just give it to me, so you wont have to worry about these little problems anymore. ;)

Off topic, I have one Im putting up for sale soon.

On topic, A face to face meeting with as high up as you can get is the best and cheapest option. Somewhere in their system they have itemized detail.... somewhere.