Grammar question.. in/at/on island?

black00ws6

I would say "IN" is acceptable in nearly all circumstances involving vacations to islands. I'm going to be in Australia, or in Ireland, or in Cypress, or in Maui. "ON" seems to work if you're talking about a geographic feature - on Mt. Washington, on the Thames, on a deserted island. However, as soon as you start talking in terms of political boundaries, I feel like you should switch to in -- In the Azores, in Bermuda, in Hawaii, in Haiti, etc.

So it depends on if you're talking about Maui as a political entity, or Maui as a geographic feature.

He was talking about a VS model moved to Maui so he said "she's on Maui" and my point was I didn't understand wtf he was talking about, and then asked, do you mean, she is in Maui like taking a vacation... that's when the usual Lovin's trash talking started... and here we are.

On is generally used if you're talking about being on a surface, including an island. In is used for enclosed places, including town names or locations. So both could be correct if you aren't specifying how you are describing Maui.

At would just sound fucking stupid in this case though.

On is generally used if you're talking about being on a surface, including an island. In is used for enclosed places, including town names or locations. So both could be correct if you aren't specifying how you are describing Maui.

At would just sound fucking stupid in this case though.

I agree with this.

P.S. You and Josh are worse than a married couple. :p

I would say "IN" is acceptable in nearly all circumstances involving vacations to islands. I'm going to be in Australia, or in Ireland, or in Cypress, or in Maui. "ON" seems to work if you're talking about a geographic feature - on Mt. Washington, on the Thames, on a deserted island. However, as soon as you start talking in terms of political boundaries, I feel like you should switch to in -- In the Azores, in Bermuda, in Hawaii, in Haiti, etc.

So it depends on if you're talking about Maui as a political entity, or Maui as a geographic feature.

I like this answer.