what to look for when buying used engine?

Stimmel1647545512

I found a used 302 that supposedly is a 306 with an aftermarket cam and a good set of afr 185 heads on it what are some things i should be weary of and make sure to double check?

Obviously I can see that the heads are alumininum and will say afr with part numbers, what should the bore measure on a true 306?

anyhting else?

Guest 6boltcolt

if fluids are present, look at those for oil/coolant mixed with each other, keep an eye out for snapped/missing bolts, cracks, recent and apparent fixes. thats all that comes to mind.

not sure how long youve been a wrench since im new so if thats all apparent to you, dont take it wrong.

I found a used 302 that supposedly is a 306 with an aftermarket cam and a good set of afr 185 heads on it what are some things i should be weary of and make sure to double check?

Obviously I can see that the heads are alumininum and will say afr with part numbers, what should the bore measure on a true 306?

anyhting else?

Look for guide plates in the heads for the hardened pushrods. Also look for a little tab thats glued to the block, machine shops put these one to tell if the motor has been overheated and it should mean its at least been machined.