Cordell's Miata street/autox project

Cordell

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For chassis stiffening, go here: http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?dept=15 I have the rear subframe brace and a front strut bar and they help, but from what I've read the frame rail kit is what you need to make the car tight.

Also, don't do the hardtop unless you want that extra 2mph at Mid-Ohio. They're expensive and a pain to store unless you drive year-round with it. The hardtop also doesn't do a thing to stiffen the car.

Well thanks to a good deal on a clutch and flywheel and not being very busy this afternoon the Miata got a new clutch and flywheel installed. The old one was most likely original since it said Mazda on it and the flywheel was blue. Car feels much better even though I was being easy on it.

Next up some brakes and bracing, at least now I can drive it without babying a slipping clutch, and the brakes work just not well enough to abuse.

• 1 month later...

Well after sorting the brakes out last weekend, and beating on the car down the 555 yesterday, my little Miata had it's first auto cross today. Considering what I have invested so far, the car did great. Even with 20 years of age I was able to run right there with similar cars. I haven't really figured out what mods I think would make the biggest difference, because in my mind the thing just doesn't have enough power to pull out of turns. It struggled on some of the hills on the 555 yesterday. When coming out of turns trying to accel, if it is at the bottom of 2nd it just straight sucks. I wish I could afford a V8 swap, or turbo, but I really don't think a turbo would pull down low in the RPMs anyway.

So anyway, I'm still having a blast with this car. If anyone has ever considered auto cross you just need to go do it, hands down more fun then 10 seconds or less and standing aroud.

Well after sorting the brakes out last weekend, and beating on the car down the 555 yesterday, my little Miata had it's first auto cross today. Considering what I have invested so far, the car did great. Even with 20 years of age I was able to run right there with similar cars. I haven't really figured out what mods I think would make the biggest difference, because in my mind the thing just doesn't have enough power to pull out of turns. It struggled on some of the hills on the 555 yesterday. When coming out of turns trying to accel, if it is at the bottom of 2nd it just straight sucks. I wish I could afford a V8 swap, or turbo, but I really don't think a turbo would pull down low in the RPMs anyway.

So anyway, I'm still having a blast with this car. If anyone has ever considered auto cross you just need to go do it, hands down more fun then 10 seconds or less and standing aroud.

turbos are just fine down low if its not a huge beast of a turbo.

I dig the fact that you now know/love both drag and auto-x. Good luck with working on the Miata!

Thanks Clay.

I'm thinking of running it close to the way it is for next year and seeing about collecting up a certain engine to swap :ninja:

I have owned a few road race Miatas over the years and they are awesome. If you are going to replace the rotors and calipers go to NAPA and get the same set up as the Mazda Speed Miata OEM, Hawk brake pads, race brake fluid and do stainless brake lines. This set up was more than enough to handle my 260 WHP Miata at Mid Ohio last year even after an hour enduro (no fade). The rotors are larger than stock to help dissipate the heat better. As for stiffening my opinion is if you are going to road race you should have a cage (mine is a hard dog weld in) The problem with this is you need a hard top and you are going to lose your convertible. The other option is flyingmiata has all different types of stuff to stiffen the chassis. Since I did not go that route I would call them for advice as they know there stuff. Enjoy,Buzz

you were looking really great out there. you drove the wheels off that thing..... you obviously are a good driver so the miata will suit you well

turbos are just fine down low if its not a huge beast of a turbo.

that'd be doing it wrong....miatas aren't mean for going fast in a straight...they're all about handling like any true roadster

swaybars, springs and shocks but most importantly tires and wheels.......get yourself some 15x7 and some 225/45/15 Hankook Ventus RS-3 or Toyo Proxes R1r tires FIRST OF ALL

tires are the single thing that will make you fastest in one fell swoop

you were looking really great out there. you drove the wheels off that thing..... you obviously are a good driver so the miata will suit you well

that'd be doing it wrong....miatas aren't mean for going fast in a straight...they're all about handling like any true roadster

swaybars, springs and shocks but most importantly tires and wheels.......get yourself some 15x7 and some 225/45/15 Hankook Ventus RS-3 or Toyo Proxes R1r tires FIRST OF ALL

tires are the single thing that will make you fastest in one fell swoop

Thanks Rich, I was thinking wheels and tires would be great investment, maybe rid some unsprung weight while I'm at it. I just don't want to over tire the car. Just looking around now to hopefully get something for spring. I'm planning on doing the Miata club's last autocross event in a few weeks, then hopefully have a few more things sorted out for next year. I need to do some bushings with new eccentric bolts so I can align the thing, that should net a nice improvement in overall feel as well.