Dreaded "can't recreate the issue"

TTQ B4U

I find your issue interesting, and have been doing some searching even though I can't see Alldata at home anymore.

While I've found many people's accounts of Hyandai's piss poor lock cylinders, I did find this about an Entourage I found interesting.

Check the key lock fuse in the fuse box under dash. Also make sure brake lights are working. That is the main input for the shift lock/ Key lock

If they've already replaced the ignition switch, it sounds like Hyandai does some stupid shit with their shift interlock so I'd be willing to bet on a loose connection or junk shifter mechanisim. If it does it again for you beat on the fuse box, seriously.

Also seeing stuff about shifter buttons, so at least when it does it you can play with those two things and see if it makes a difference.

Since I get to tell people the same "if I can't see it, I can't fix it line every day" I guess I'll chime in a little.

If it won't do it for them they probably really can't fix it. Now if it was my problem I'd still probably think of something to try for you each time you brought it in, but I still couldn't be sure I fixed it until I never saw you again for that problem.

If it is a failing wiring connection or similar problem it may not be diagnosed until it finally fails and the key will not come out. At that point the tech will probably have it fixed very quickly. It happens to me all the time with office equipment and when the failure happens in front of me I know exactly whats going on and can even go into service modes and run diagnostics to get feedback on the problem.

I am sure they aren't giving you the best customer service they can though. I don't know any dealer that would actually.

So where would he begin knowing the ignition switch has just been replaced? What's seeing a key stuck in there in person going to show him? Why not begin there?

Ignition switch wouldn't cause the key getting stuck, so replacing the switch wouldn't do anything. Ignition housing or cylinder, yes.

Hyundai Entourage Minivan. Ford has been a dream to work with. Only two issues, but one of them was simliar, a squeaky HVAC fan. They couldn't recreate it and said to just drive it and let them know if it comes back. It did and makes a squeaky noise off/on. Again, not all the time. They just replaced it and said no worries. It's been fine since.

A squeaky HVAC fan is a completely different kind of complaint. Your fan squeaks, regardless if they can duplicate it, the fan assembly is the only part that can cause that problem. Your key being stuck can be several things, worn key, bad cylinder, bad housing, gear shift assembly, solenoid, wiring problem. When you can't duplicate the problem you can't diagnose the problem. Throwing parts at the car only costs the dealer money and their customer thinking they can't fix their car. Some people are extremely anal with their warranty complaints, and probably 10-20% only happen if once a month when you're going turning into Walmart on a sunny day.

If it's a huge deal with you, leave it with them and let someone drive it until it happens.

Cordell, Rocky, others....thanks. It does give me a good perspective as that's what I was looking for; your thoughts as those in the field / service bays dealing with this daily.

With your help, I have more good information and items to consider. I just can't believe Hyundai won't cover the techs going through these very points brought up here to fix the problem.

My example to Terri from Hyundai USA Corporate is that what they are telling me is equiv. to walking into your home, flipping on your TV and having it intermittiently begin smoking. Now if that happened and it the repair guy didn't see it smoking so go ahead and continue using it, would you? Would you really accept, "wait until your TV Begins smoking again then call me" and hope it keeps smoking for him to see? Hell no you wouldn't.....but you expect me to put my wife in a situation where she's stuck downtown heading to a court hearing, tell everyone in the court including a judge to wait while she calls roadside and Hyundai? Really? Great customer service.

I mean if all that has to happen to make a customer happy and fix the issue is to say you saw it, then say it. Say it and fix the problem just the same as you would/will when I drive the damn thing into the dealership with the key stuck!! There's ZERO difference. Turn the page in the repair guide and begin resolving it.

It really pisses me off because I know damn well how this is going to end. I just thank God they will be the ones dealing with my wife who will be driving it through their showroom window when it does. :masturboy:

Ignition switch wouldn't cause the key getting stuck, so replacing the switch wouldn't do anything. Ignition housing or cylinder, yes.

whatever it's called..they replaced the entire module that the key goes into. they had to re-key the car when done.

A squeaky HVAC fan is a completely different kind of complaint. Your fan squeaks, regardless if they can duplicate it, the fan assembly is the only part that can cause that problem. Your key being stuck can be several things, worn key, bad cylinder, bad housing, gear shift assembly, solenoid, wiring problem. When you can't duplicate the problem you can't diagnose the problem.
My point isn't the part/HVAC or it's simplicity. It's that Ford took my word for it and replaced the part even thought they couldn't duplicate it. The key being stuck is the same thing.....just begin fixing it. Again, what's seeing the key stuck going to show them vs me telling them the key is stuck?

Throwing parts at the car only costs the dealer money and their customer thinking they can't fix their car. Some people are extremely anal with their warranty complaints, and probably 10-20% only happen if once a month when you're going turning into Walmart on a sunny day.
Are you saying that three instances of this real issues is being anal? Have you had an instance like this strand your wife calling you freaked out as she has two kids in the car at school while trying to make a court hearing? That's happened to me twice. I don't call that being anal. I call that spending nearly my hard earned money on a vehicle that touts a huge beneficial warranty and getting what I paid for.

If it's a huge deal with you, leave it with them and let someone drive it until it happens.
Given their behavior and how they have treated me, they haven't earned my trust or respect that they could keep my vehicle for a week and recreate it. Why should I take that inconvenience when they have already had the vehicle for this repair on more than one occasion? Do their job, turn the page in the book and begin fixing it. It's not throwing parts at it if you know there's a problem. How do they know? Because I don't go around wasting my time making up a key is stuck in the steering column. I have way too much value in my time to do that.

I know you're only trying to help, so don't take my post personally.

Are you saying that three instances of this real issues is being anal? Have you had an instance like this strand your wife calling you freaked out as she has two kids in the car at school while trying to make a court hearing? That's happened to me twice. I don't call that being anal. I call that spending nearly my hard earned money on a vehicle that touts a huge beneficial warranty and getting what I paid for.

No no no, may have came over wrong. I just said some people are anal. I seriously had one lady who I couldn't duplicate the problem, she said it only made a noise over the speed bump in front of her house, we drove 25 minutes to her house to not hear a thing.

Running a small dealership I guess I have a understanding of fixing problems. A key not coming out I would consider a safety concern. I dont know how the newer cars work but a neutral safety switching failing in a older car can cause this type of issue.

Usually when they fail you just cant start the car. We have had a few actually really mess up and cause the car to not come out of gear. When car doesnt come out of gear completely the key will sometimes not come out of ignition. When starting the car it was already in gear when started which can make the car want to run away lol. Yeah we had a run away car almost made it into the road luckily got it stopped before it made it into the busiest road in Newark.

I would escalate the problem thru the proper channels until the problem is solved. Intermittent or not a key getting stuck can be a serious safety problem in my opinion.

Yeah we had a run away car almost made it into the road luckily got it stopped before it made it into the busiest road in Newark.

Whew, disaster averted. There would have only been about an hour there until that horse and buggy came by and there was a huge wreck. :gabe:

There seem to be a lot of techs/mechanics kind of jumping the OPs case, thinking he was blaming the tech/mechanic. To reiterate what he just said, I don't think he ever did that. It seems like the whole time he's been harping on the way the dealership (customer service and management) and corporate have handled the situation; rightfully so.

I wondered if they are worried about you using the lemon law.

Whew, disaster averted. There would have only been about an hour there until that horse and buggy came by and there was a huge wreck. :gabe:

Yeah one time a couple horses slipped in some horse shit. About caused a pile up. Crazy stuff.

I stopped reading on page two Tim. This is what I did....I had the car towed in when the issue happened. So for you when the key does not come out have that thing towed in. They can then see it first hand. Not saying it will help with the fix BUT it will help them "see it" so warranty is noted.

Any news on the issue?

No updates. Hasn't happened in the past few days. I also haven't had the cycles to spend arguing with the dealer. I may drop my Mazda off Friday to get them to fix a recall issue and perhaps will walk over to Dennis to argue a bit more. :p

Keep us updated! I read a lot of people we making Hyundai buy those back because of the issues. You could always tell them they can do that if they don't fix the issue :-)

Car has 54k on the ODO and we've had it for 50k of those. It's not a lemon or buy back candidate. Will update thread at some point. Thanks to you and others as at least now I have perspective and further thoughts on the matter.