How not to disassemble an M4 rifle/Rocket attack long read and pics

Mojoe

Some of you may have read my post in the chatbox last week. Well, here are a few pics I can show from the aftermath.

Here's what happened:

Five other soldiers and I were in a room. The building is nothing more that a plywood and 2x4 structure with poor construction, but it stands and we work out of it. The room is about 18Lx11W. I had been in there about 5 minutes and 2 soldiers had just walking in the door. I didn't even hear the sirens go off to warn for rocket attack. Suddenly, the most insane boom possible. But no explosion. Yet something went boom. A soldier to my left was blown across in front of me. Then I was heading the same way, about 3 feet. I found myself and 2 soldiers laying on the floor. There was a pause, I yelled is anyone hit!!!!? From the doorway "yeah, god damnit". "I need some help". He was calm, but stressed. He stood up and came to me before I could even get to my feet. I asked where you are hit. I saw............ his mid section was torn up. Shard's of wood were all over him. He had blood from a small cut on his face. His hand was bleeding. He dropped his pants and just everything was peppered with blood. Sounds terrible, right? I search him like crazy, with this much blood, I had to find where it was pouring from and stop it. I yelled get a medic and it echoed awesomely as people passed it along. I needed a dressing I thought and started to take my shirt off. I got hit in the hand perfectly with a medic bag, Like NO SHIT!!!. Fucking perfect. I go to open the bag and the release is fucked up, I just rip it off. There's a gauze roll right on top, but I want a pad. Fuck it, I'll pack the roll where I see blood and move on. I place it to the right of his groin. My mind is assessing at a peak rate and I feel like I have this all covered, except where the hell is the major blood loss? I'm reassuring him that he's good. Ton's of punctures from small shards are all over him and he is already showing bruised from the blast. I tell him I have to look under his underwear, maroon briefs were his choice that day. No one's being shy, it's just fix my shit and get me ok. That's all that matters. He pulls them to the side and I fear this is where the bleeding is going to be bad. I see blood. In my head, I'm like damn dude that suuuuuucks. The right side of his sack has some blood and I could see he had blood everywhere in the area, but no major bleeding. I need combat gauze, I think to myself, or maybe out loud. And no shit, the soldier on the other side of me just opened one and hands it to me. My wounded soldier is waiting for the worst and I keep telling him, it's punctures. I ask him if there's anywhere that is really bad. He says his hand hurts. I look at it and there was a large splinter in it, but not bleeding anymore. That can wait. I go back to searching for more, thinking he could be numb from the blast. There's a hand on my shoulder and I here "we are the medic's"."We got him". In a second, I'm out of the way and have downloaded what I did and where I left off.

Now there are too many people in the room. I say if you aren't a Medic, get out. There were 5 of them there. The room was mangled. Broken chairs, desks tossed, a printer smashed on the floor. Too much shit in the way. I yelled clear the door, I'm throwing shit out. One other soldier was outside the door clearing the chair and printer as I threw them. I looked over the small wall built up in the room to section it off, about 3 feet high. I see a canister in the debris. Fuck!!!!! I know what that was. I yell, get him up and get him out. NOW!!! I look over my shoulder and see a soldier I know gets shit done, I tell him to Get EOD here now and have people clear the area. I help get my wounded soldier out of the room and they get him clear. I know he's doing ok. I just knew I didn't have to worry on him anymore, they got him covered. Several of us are clearing people back, trying our best to get the known distance that we need to cordon off. Emergency crews show up and then EOD. After they cleared the area, I went in with them and talked them through what happened. Yup, I watch CIS and that's what it was like.

We determined the rocket clipped the roof nearby. Then perfectly hit a tow bar, knocking the fuse from the rocket, before it slammed through the wall.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/dsnowgod/100_0047.jpg

The rocket tumbled like in the cartoons, left a perfect silhouette. The round hole just next to it is actually the rear of the rocket, the propellant section. The rocket itself had 3 lbs of High Explosives in it. EOD said everyone in 15 meters would be in pretty bad shape. Those within 20 feet...... well, it's a good thing it didn't go off.

What was the boom then? I know my ear's never rang. Was it adrenaline? But no ones ears were ringing that was in the room with me. I was 6 feet from the impact. WTF?? This thing was fired from up to 6 miles away. The speed and and weight of the rocket at impact was so fast, it hit with a boom.

Now, here's where you can say, OMG!!! The guy who got wounded had his M4 slung around him. He remembers getting tossed, but we all thought it was the blast/boom. Then we couldn't find his weapon and we were like, where did you leave it? This guy is a good NCO and would never leave his weapon somewhere. so we kept looking. We found it.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/dsnowgod/100_0039.jpg

The fucking rocket direct hit his M4. Had it hit him, it would have ripped him in half. How do you even fathom how close that is?

He was bandaged up. 75 or so puncture wounds. A piece of wood stuck in his dick. The General came to see him in the hospital and he tells the General, "They took some wood outta my wood, Sir". LOL

Everyone is doing well and he is back to full duty today. Just thought I would share. Thanks for reading.

Edited by Mojoe
Spelling will always own me

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. The math on all of it is impossible. The guy wounded, I believe is getting a Purple Heart. He's pretty old school tough. He came off like, who the fuck hit me with a rocket? It's funny now when we talk about it. Everyone there was pretty awesome and there was no panic. I can't get over that. Everyone got out of the way or was helping. I was proud to see them all do their part.

Other citations were noted and coins from people who like to give coins were given.

It's funny how old and shitty some of the chinese ordnance is that they throw at us. I was in our motor pool one day getting our piece of shit 2.5 ton fixed for the hundredth time.. the sirens all started going off and then a mortar shell went skipping across the gravel and just stopped. I laughed.

LOL. Brian I know what you mean. I know on the same day this happened, a friend of mine found out how powerful 3 arty rounds strapped together are. He's ok, but damn if these boys here play a little different. It's like they don't want us here. I mean, geez.

Tell me they're letting him keep the m4.

Actually, funny you should ask that. It was suppose to be a surprise, but I believe he knows now. They are suppose to encase it for him and present it to him. That's pretty awesome. The guy has had some close calls. A mortar hit 15 feet from him and went off 2 weeks ago, and he had some small arms fire about a week ago. Oh, btw, he's a mechanic. You should see what happens to our cooks. haha

Glad everyone is okay. Too fucking close.

You need to get that story and the pics out...send them to http://www.ehowa.com, the owner is part of the team that runs Let's Bring 'Em Home, they supply troops who can't afford it with free airline tickets for the holidays.

It's funny how old and shitty some of the chinese ordnance is that they throw at us. I was in our motor pool one day getting our piece of shit 2.5 ton fixed for the hundredth time.. the sirens all started going off and then a mortar shell went skipping across the gravel and just stopped. I laughed.

x2

They've been shooting a Chinese 75mm recoilless rifle at us every so often for the past 3 months. So far they've managed to get three to land on camp. None of them detonated though. One crashed through the medical tent (no one injured), one smacked a HMMVW, and one buried itself about two feet underground. I had to dig that somebitch out by hand only to find that the dumbasses put the wrong fuze on it. Just recently they shot an RPG at us while we were prosecuting an IED as well. They must've left the shipping cap on, because we got to watch it skip across the ground like a flat stone on a pond. It tumbled past us and then fell in a canal. We both just laughed and went back to what we were doing while they lit the dude up with a MK19.

Actually, funny you should ask that. It was suppose to be a surprise, but I believe he knows now. They are suppose to encase it for him and present it to him. That's pretty awesome. The guy has had some close calls. A mortar hit 15 feet from him and went off 2 weeks ago, and he had some small arms fire about a week ago. Oh, btw, he's a mechanic. You should see what happens to our cooks. haha

http://mrcheapjustice.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/steven-seagal.jpg

DON'T FUCK WITH THE COOK!!!!!