Summit Racing retail store

zeitgeist57

So I'm up in Akron for business, and I'm close enough to Summit Racing to stop by and get a Felpro full gasket kit for my Ford. It's the HQ store and it's friggin' HUGE...I'll save on shipping costs, right?

Well, turns out I was 15 min there and 15 min back on 76 from Akron. Beautiful store, but the part was in GEORGIA. It would be a few days to get it in. Insert *f@ck that sh1t* smiley here.

I left realizing what a waste of time it was assuming that I could get a part just because it was Summit's main retail store. Then, I realized my time and gas probably didn't outweigh the savings by avoiding shipping costs.

My rant to CR is this: Why buy retail? Even at Harbor Freight, if you buy enough to justify the shipping expense you might as well buy online. I'm already doing this successfully through RockAuto.com

I drive by there at least once a month, and I stopped in once to buy something. Waited in line for almost a half hour before I bailed and ordered it online. Totally not worth the trip, and their display stuff is only useful if you have a classic muscle car.

I will say, I fucking love having the Jeg's store over there on 11th. That's store has saved my ass on more than one occasion.

It depends on the business and the item you need. A lot of things can be done for cheaper online, but if its a difference of a dollar or two I'll happily pay more to go into a store and talk to someone about the product, as well as have the opportunity to mess with it before I buy.

I can't tell you how many impulse buys I've avoided simply by visiting a store to check something out that had a great online price but just felt generally shitty or poor quality once it was in my hands. I find this is the case with 99% of the electronics I buy

I have been involved in drag racing for 20 years and I have never purchased anything from Summit. I get their catalog but I have never made a purchase. I just call up Jegs on Main st and have them ship over whatever I need from 11th or the dist center. 5 min drive for me each way and I am kinda partial to Jegs since I worked there for 2 years in the 90's.

I like Summitt, I haven't had any bad experiences there, they always just give me what I want. Jeg's on teh other hand has argued with me instead of just selling me what I ask for. I only go to Jeg's for nitrous refills and tires because shipping drag radials costs extra. Jeg's can kiss my ass.