Turtle Wax Black Box

PRD2BDF

I tried this product last week and it turned out remarkably well. A lot better than I expected from a 17 dollar product.

Imagine the standard black car that's been through the car wash and washed with the car wash brush etc etc etc.

Cliffs: a lot of microscratches and swirls on a black car

The results (sorry for a lack of creativity)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c161/spedponcho/GEDC1884-1.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c161/spedponcho/GEDC1882-1.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c161/spedponcho/GEDC1878.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c161/spedponcho/GEDC1891.jpg

and two close-up of the shine

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c161/spedponcho/GEDC1899.jpg

My favorite below:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c161/spedponcho/GEDC1880-1.jpg

I do recommend it for those who have a black car!

I gotta say, I was less than impressed with the product.

It's essentially black tinted wax and a crayon.

Definitely didn't do anything for a swirled up brilliant black A4.

Looks good from the pics though!

if you use the product on a sub standard car you get a sub standard result.

:gabe:

I gotta say, I was less than impressed with the product.

It's essentially black tinted wax and a crayon.

Definitely didn't do anything for a swirled up brilliant black A4.

Looks good from the pics though!

Black box doesn't come with the crayon, that's another product. The Black Box uses a black pigmented cleaner wax to remove the swirls, then a pigmented sealer wax to protect the finish. It also comes with two black detailer sprays as well. I used it on my STI and it did an amazing job.

True, a professional detailer could probably have done a better job. But for my mediocre skills the end result looked really good. It even de-emphazied a small scratch and a couple chips in my doors. The box won't hide them entirely, but the pigments help fade the lighter color blemishes a bit.

I highly recommend The Black Box for those who have a black car and can't afford a professional detail or just want to do it themselves.

i m not a fan

it's always cheaper to do stuff the more expensive way..in this case, hand it off to a good detailer (Audion19s) with a PC or a rotary depending on the scratches being fixed and some good pads and some good polishes and cutting compounds.....

this method (actual paint restoration) provides a real fix as opposed to just band-aiding the problem (this turtle wax crap)

Edited by das borgen

i m not a fan

it's always cheaper to do stuff the more expensive way..in this case, hand it off to a good detailer (Audion19s) with a PC or a rotary depending on the scratches being fixed and some good pads and some good polishes and cutting compounds.....this method provides a real fix as opposed to just band-aiding the problem

well put.

I can only think of one person in Columbus that I would let use a rotary on a vehicle and they aren't on this board any more. :no:

well put.

I can only think of one person in Columbus that I would let use a rotary on a vehicle and they aren't on this board any more. :no:

While I agree that's a relatively true statement there are a few of us out there that actually know our way around a rotary and how to correctly operate one, few and far between though these days.

well put.

I bet you're thinking of Todd Cooperider, Esoteric Detail

never met the fellow but his knowledge sharing he has on detailedimage.net is awesome.......I've become a customer of there and have been buying a host of good products

Mother's and Meguiar's make decent products, Turtle Wax though, is absolute bottom of barrel...if you want the good stuff, you likely won't find it at big chain places...good stuff like Menzerna, Pinnacle, Dodo Juice, Poorboy World's Chemical Guys, 303, Zaino, Wolfgang

Just bought some of this stuff today. I finally washed and clay barred by truck (desperately needed) this morning. It's getting too hot out right now, but I plan on giving it another wash this evening when it cools down and going to work with this Black Box stuff. Will post pics of how it turns out.

I highly recommend The Black Box for those who have a black car and can't afford a professional detail or just want to do it themselves.

X2.

While I'm sure Audion19s could do a massively better job than I with his arsenal, I just couldn't justify it due to the miles I commute and the fact it would get dirty pretty much the next day.

For 17 bucks and my own time, I can do it at least one more time, maybe two if I'm a bit stingier next time.

I wonder if it affect straight blacks better than brilliant blacks (paint with metallics, etc in it). Mine is straight black and it turned out awesome. I read some reviews and people complained about this product and I looked at the model they drive and they typically have brilliant blacks.

X2.

While I'm sure Audion19s could do a massively better job than I with his arsenal, I just couldn't justify it due to the miles I commute and the fact it would get dirty pretty much the next day.

For 17 bucks and my own time, I can do it at least one more time, maybe two if I'm a bit stingier next time.

i know it s hard to justify but I will repeat myself

it's always cheaper to do stuff the more expensive way

don't look at it purely from a cost standpoint...step back and evaluate the bigger picture: time, money, redos, satisfaction, final result, durability etc etc