Oil Coming from Exhaust

TwiztedRabbit

Ok All I have a question here.. first off i posted this in the columbus group but I forgot to put it here so here we go. I have a 2008 Yamaha r-6 with a full Two brothers Exhaust and two brothers juice box (all it does is add fuel under certain Throttle positions). It has 1400 miles on it... I have had the exhuast and box on it since 800 miles. I did proper break in and so forth. I just got back from a long 200+ ride with the some fellow Ohio Riders the bike ran great as normal. so i go for a ride on monday and as i get to a stop light i notice smoke from my exhaust i pull into a parking lot and shut it off.. I wait a few and attempt to start it back up... after a few failed attempts it finally fired up and promptly shot a spray of oil out the muffler about 3 feet and continued to lightly spray oil as it was running.. so i shut it off and trailered it home.. I havent even looked at yet. as ive been in somuch disbelief. does any one know what this could be? I'm still under my 1 yr warranty but i dont know if my exhaust void that?! where can i go what can i do? help i dont wanna be out all season!

Thanks

Jason

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand, they can't void your warranty. They may not cover something aftermarket that is directly related to the problem but obviously having an aftermarket exhaust probably has nothing to do with oil shooting out of it. They should still honor the warranty. Call them.

Honestly is sounds like a real problem. First are you sure its oil and not unburnt fuel?

Second. Since there is a risk of a major problem here, I would suggest you put your old pipe back on and remove the "juice box" if the bike is still doing the same thing at that point then take it to a dealer.. If its not, then you can assume that your "juice box" is the culprit. A dealer has every right to void the warranty for your type of issue since you have modified the signals from the ECU to the motor. The Exhaust can also void the warranty if they want to be pricks about it.

you have a factory defect, they should cover that for free. I've NEVER seen a bike do that with your miles, or ridden normally, you may have a valve guide seal that came apart, or broken piston ring, hard to say without hearing the engine and actually seeing the bike.

sad part is it still idles fine.. i only let it idle for about 30 seconds tops but still ...I know they cant void the warranty on a car for a aftermarket part unless it is determined the part is the cause of the problem... ive been there but is it the same for bikes?

sad part is it still idles fine.. i only let it idle for about 30 seconds tops but still ...I know they cant void the warranty on a car for a aftermarket part unless it is determined the part is the cause of the problem... ive been there but is it the same for bikes?

Dealers are extremely finicy when it comes to warranty's on bikes. Pull the "juice box" and take it in and see what they say. I dont know if you have been doing burnouts or not but if so, you better make sure their is zero rubber sticking to your undertail.

I've rode with Jason for a few years now. Pretty straight forward riding, and regular maintenance. This is just bad luck...

Jason,

I think you did some self-tuning on the juice box. Take it back to a factory default. Maybe it was dumping to much fuel. If you can't find the stock exhaust, maybe factory settings will fly at the dealer. I'm sure someone here knows a Yamaha mechanic. My years in the business, it usually came down to the tech saying it's abuse. With an advanced call to that tech and a case of beer you might be golden to get the work done at that shop under warranty without pulling the parts.

Couldn't hurt to ask...

dude you need to suck it up and call a dealer...sitting around isnt doing anything. if you have the stock ecu, put it on. i wouldnt bother trying to get them to work on it WITH the juice box on there, as if the JB is bad, well, i just cant think of any positives of having that thing on there for them to work on. everyone changes the exhaust, and since the exhaust is the last link of the engine chain, and has nothing to do with oil delivery, it shouldnt do anything to the warranty.

again I WILL be taking the juice box off.. im taking it to ASK where i bought it from as soon as i can come up with some money to get it trailered there but i cannot take the exhaust off as i dont have the stock system... i talked with the dealer they said that Yamaha is very strict on warranty work... so i guess luck be with me when i get it there....

Place your bets...

That's a lot of oil, very different...

Sorry Jason, I'm going with blown head gasket, and/or possibly intake valve not opening properly. I think the piston is pulling oil out of the oil passage near the cylinder bore. The oil there is under pressure, which makes it want to enter the combustion chamber even more. Hondas used to have problems with busted head gaskets like that. Maybe a slim chance it jumped timing or something (causing pistons to pull vacuum before the intake valves are ready). But you might have noticed a drastic shift in performance with that. Here's hoping it's something weird and simple to fix. (and cheap)

That can be found with a compression check. Easy enough to do.

first of all, juice box is shit. Second, if it is oil NOTHING related to the juice box or exhaust is the culprit. Personally, I would pull the box to not stir up any issues even though you are fine.

The exhaust? Leave it. One, shows the oil residue. Two, has as much to do with an engine issue as you have trying to move your bikes with your mind.

Dealers aren't like what flounder is saying. They will honor the warranty if you educate yourself. You know it has nothing to do with the bolt ons. If they say it does, they need to prove it 100%. They can't and won't.

If it's oil, DO NOT ride it anymore. Take it to a GOOD dealer and get it looked at NOW. like ben stated, quit wasting time and get it in there

Buddy had a new 08 R6 with FULL race prep. Got 96 miles and it chunked a valve. Took race plastic off and left it naked. Dealer covered it. You're in a MUCH better spot.

Quit worrying and at worse take the worthless juice box off and take it to the shop. After it's fixed, get a bazaaz or PC.

again I WILL be taking the juice box off.. im taking it to ASK where i bought it from as soon as i can come up with some money to get it trailered there but i cannot take the exhaust off as i dont have the stock system... i talked with the dealer they said that Yamaha is very strict on warranty work... so i guess luck be with me when i get it there....

Take it to mid Ohio in mount vernon or HNW. DO NOT take it to ASK. Take it somewhere good that you trust. ANY Yamaha dealer will fix it. It's a Yamaha warranty. Taking it to ASK is gambling they get it right. Very doubtful.

well again i have not ridden the bike AT all since it started.. so i have no idea if performance changed.. second ASK is where i bought the bike they know me there and i know a lot of the people there... They are going to take a look at it.. pick it up so on so forth.. i will be removing the JB and Leaving the exhaust on. i just have to start getting money ready if they attempt to rape me.. so i will have enough to get it someplace else..

i am still going to contact HNW and a few other Yamaha dealers to see whats going on... nuff said.. i'll let everyone know whats going on as i know.. but the bike wont even be at a shop for prolly a week or Two I dont have the time to get everything moving yet

Take it to mid Ohio in mount vernon or HNW. DO NOT take it to ASK. Take it somewhere good that you trust. ANY Yamaha dealer will fix it. It's a Yamaha warranty. Taking it to ASK is gambling they get it right. Very doubtful.

This was the exact point I was trying to make about a dealer trying not to cover it because of mods. I know for a fact that ASK has not covered bikes because of simple shit like this. ASK is as shady as a dealership can get. Youre right that a reputable dealer should fix it without any questions but having seen dealers screw people was the reason I told him to be careful. We basically same thing. I still want to kick you in the junk. :D