Lettuce Discuss Tool Boxes

Crossle

Cliffs at bottom of post.

Reason: Looking for a tool box for home use.

I am a Mechanic with a Snap-On box, I am looking for something much cheaper for home use. So, excluding MAC, Matco, Snap-On, Cornwell, and even Craftsman, does anyone use a box other than the above listed that is cheaper, or as cheap as a craftsman box?

If so, what is the manufacturer? How long have you had it, how well has it held up?

I would like something with ball bearing drawers.

Just looking for some other options to explore. I need a fairly large box in size, and no a filing cabinet or any other random tool holder won't cut it lol.

CLIFFS: Recommend a tool box cheaper than Craftsman that has ball bearing drawers and has held up reasonably well.

Coming form a fellow pro mechanic, cheaper than craftsmen and still ball bearing is a pretty tall order. the only other thing besides kobalt that comes to mind is Waterloo, don't really know where you can buy them but I've used them in past shops, they feel cheap but still work. The last place I worked one of the guys had a kobalt and some of the drawers were really hard to open and the other drawers would open on there own, bad enough were the box almost fell over, keep in mind this was abused daily and would prob hold up for home use. Or do what I did and work at Carmax so you can take all your good tools home.

Yeah Dad has had a Craftsman for years and it has done well. It is getting tired now, but not to the point that it is broken. I am not totally opposed to Craftsman, just don't know what the other options are that people have success with.

I will check out the Kobalt boxes, I think I was talking with someone about them at HD the one night...maybe Lance?

I don't know if I want to wait or not, but I may take my current snap-on box home when I get a new one at the shop.

Coming form a fellow pro mechanic, cheaper than craftsmen and still ball bearing is a pretty tall order. the only other thing besides kobalt that comes to mind is Waterloo, don't really know where you can buy them but I've used them in past shops, they feel cheap but still work. The last place I worked one of the guys had a kobalt and some of the drawers were really hard to open and the other drawers would open on there own, bad enough were the box almost fell over, keep in mind this was abused daily and would prob hold up for home use. Or do what I did and work at Carmax so you can take all your good tools home.

Waterloo is who makes most of craftsmans toolboxes .

This sounds like its your best way to go. http://www.harborfreight.com/13-drawer-red-industrial-quality-roller-cabinet-90320.html i have the whole set at home. it works well

just coming to post this my neighbor has this plus the top for his job (maintenance man at Simpson strong tie) has never had a issue with it.

I would also reccomend this HF box. I have it at home in my garage and it works very well. If you are familiar with GarageJournal Forums, this box comes highly recommended for the it's price over there. I've had mine for almost a year with no problems. I work on my car about 1-10 times a month haha

I was basically looking for the same thing, with ball bearing drawers and ended up with this one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-drawer-red-industrial-quality-roller-cabinet-90320.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_2244.jpg