10-1 C&C after cruise

Cordell

• 2 weeks later...
That was an awesome drive even in the rain. I will be doing that again. I guess its a good thing nobody went with me because I didn't have to wait for anyone to keep up.

The wife and I drove 555 for the first time last weekend. It was amazing. We took 70 east to 13 to 669 or something like that. It was truly awesome and the GTI did amazingly well with the bilstein coilovers. I junked the upgraded front brakes due to the pull so the braking could have been better, and I was rubbing a bit under hard turns, but that will be fixed in the spring.

I couldn't believe some of the blind hills, they were ass puckering for sure!

The wife and I drove 555 for the first time last weekend. It was amazing. We took 70 east to 13 to 669 or something like that. It was truly awesome and the GTI did amazingly well with the bilstein coilovers. I junked the upgraded front brakes due to the pull so the braking could have been better, and I was rubbing a bit under hard turns, but that will be fixed in the spring.

I couldn't believe some of the blind hills, they were ass puckering for sure!

Glad you did it, I had a blast on that road. How far down did you go, all the way?

Glad you did it, I had a blast on that road. How far down did you go, all the way?

Honestly, I don't remember, it most certainly wasn't all the way. I bet it wasn't even half way on 555. I was driving pretty hard and after about 30 minutes on it I turned around and went back. So I got about an hour of 555 and the roads to get their sans 70 were fun as well. The whole trip took about 4 hours including a 10 min leg stretch and a bathroom/drink break.

It certainly brought some deficiencies to light with my car though. I need bigger sway bars. Even with the coils at full stiff, I had a bit more roll than I wanted. Regular driving they don't roll at all though. Also, brakes as I mentioned. Both of those mads will make my car a big sleeper in the twisties. It is so tossable and handles great.

Honestly, I don't remember, it most certainly wasn't all the way. I bet it wasn't even half way on 555. I was driving pretty hard and after about 30 minutes on it I turned around and went back. So I got about an hour of 555 and the roads to get their sans 70 were fun as well. The whole trip took about 4 hours including a 10 min leg stretch and a bathroom/drink break.

It certainly brought some deficiencies to light with my car though. I need bigger sway bars. Even with the coils at full stiff, I had a bit more roll than I wanted. Regular driving they don't roll at all though. Also, brakes as I mentioned. Both of those mads will make my car a big sleeper in the twisties. It is so tossable and handles great.

I took it all the way down to where it ends just before the Ohio river. It is pretty much the same all the way down. I was just on the 555 for about an hour and a half, and I was giving it as much as I could in the rain. No other road I've been on in Ohio compares, there are some nice roads around but not to that level with the blind hills, blind turns, and endless twisties. I thought about taking some other road back up, but after my trip I had it out of my system and cruised back up 33 out of Athens.

It's pretty cool what you learn about a car doing something like this. What i learned was how neutral a Miata is in stock form. It is underpowered for some of the hills, but overall a blast. I also realized that it would take a total package of mods in order to improve the Miata so that it would stay neutral, because thats how I like things. A little more power would be nice so i could produce a little oversteer but thats not what a Miata is for.

I took it all the way down to where it ends just before the Ohio river. It is pretty much the same all the way down. I was just on the 555 for about an hour and a half, and I was giving it as much as I could in the rain. No other road I've been on in Ohio compares, there are some nice roads around but not to that level with the blind hills, blind turns, and endless twisties. I thought about taking some other road back up, but after my trip I had it out of my system and cruised back up 33 out of Athens.

It's pretty cool what you learn about a car doing something like this. What i learned was how neutral a Miata is in stock form. It is underpowered for some of the hills, but overall a blast. I also realized that it would take a total package of mods in order to improve the Miata so that it would stay neutral, because thats how I like things. A little more power would be nice so i could produce a little oversteer but thats not what a Miata is for.

Yeah, I should have done that, stayed on the road longer and taken a highway back. Oh well, next time I will be more prepared. This was not planned, we were bored, it was gorgeous out so I googled it remembering this thread and wrote down basic directions and off we went.

I would say without a doubt it was the hardest I have driven my car in the twisties. I also felt that a larger car would have been less fun to operate, such as a B8 S4... this of course was just a guess, but my car just feels right to me. I love it.

Im game for another blast on a nice weekend day.

When I take my truck out for a drive, 555 is part of one of my long loops. I have never been clear to the end though. The best drive I have ever taken was 33 into WV. After the interstate part ends, it turns into the curviest road I have ever been on.

The underpowered part you are talking about is why I am so unhappy with the MR2 right now. You literally explained it how I would, just not enough steam b/w turns at times.