Pop-up Flash Diffuser

Drewhop

Your mileage will very. Personally I use the Lumiquest Version.

http://www.lumiquest.com/store/products/LumiQuest-Soft-Screen.html

Folds flat, virtually indestructible and does the job it's intended to do. The puffer version is far less durable and doesn't fold flat.

I use several different diffusers; several from each manufacturer. Lumiquest is very good stuff and as I said, most portable. I'll post some quick snaps I just took for you to see.

If you're interested, you can easily make the Lumiquest Soft Screen from a sheet of paper or by cutting up a clear milk carton.

Here's a comparison for you. Simple snap-shots starring my daughter Sophia who is recovering from Strep :fuuuu: I probably should have turned my FEV up a notch more but the bottom image could easily be adjusted in RAW.

Canon EOS 40D & 50mm f/1.8 Lens with Stock Flash

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/138567977/original.jpg

Edited by TTQ B4U

Tim, your kids always seem to be happy to get their picture taken! Do they ever look at you and say 'Dad, gtfo'. They are your personal models. lol

Ha ha! GTFO is the typical response around here. My dogs were my test subjects for years as I played around with gear and practice Photoshop techniques :gabe:

I'd just make one out of rip stop nylon and hold it in front of the flash somehow, even if by hand.

the goal of a diffusion type light modifier should be to make the light source larger.

Also keep an index card handy, you never know when you may need to redirect light or block off part of the flash from the subject.

I actually run around weddings with an index card rubberbanded to my flash and it works great.