Mess on 270

Patterson

If you watch the video, my neighborhood is right by the freeway. In fact the houses two doors down back up to the wall. I was outside at the time, and heard the tire screeching, but didn't hear the wreck itself. Woke up to this mess today. Never a dull moment around here.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2011/10/11/columbus-interstate-270-fatal-crash-closure.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Both directions of Interstate 270, between I-670 and Westerville Road, are expected to remain closed through Tuesday morning and early afternoon because of a fatal crash.

A tractor-trailer that was carrying fuel crashed on Monday at about 10:20 p.m. on the ramp from I-270 north to state Route 161 east, killing the driver.

The rig, carrying 7,300 gallons of fuel, spilled about 3,000 gallons of fuel, forcing emergency crews to shut down the interstate in both directions, 10TV News reported.

State Route 161 is closed in both directions, from Strawberry Farms Boulevard to Little Turtle Way, 10TV News reported.

Hazardous materials crews sprayed foam over the spill to suppress the highly-flammable fuel vapors, Columbus Fire Battalion Chief Christopher Blair said.

The ramp from I-270 north to S.R. 161 east was expected to remain closed until Thursday, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

Drivers can access I-270 south from Morse Road or Easton Way.

Motorists should use Westerville Road, Stelzer Road and Hamilton Road as alternative routes, 10TV News reported.

The identity of the driver was not immediately released by police.

According to the Ohio Department of Transportation, 141,530 vehicles travel the stretch between I-270 and S.R. 161.

The morning commute was slow for thousands of drivers.

Westerville City Schools was heavily impacted by the road closure. The school district canceled afternoon kindergarten and preschool for Alcott, Cherrington, Hawthorne, Point View, McVay and Robert Frost elementary schools

I can't believe it is going to be closed through tomorrow. Ridiculous.

I'd say this is fucking up over a 1/4 of the city's commute. I bet you my commute is backed up tomorrow, even though I don't even use 270 or 161, just because of the congestion on the side streets.

71 north was backed up to morse road at a stand still today at 8:30am. This fucked up my drive to work and I go 270w to dublin. Thanks for that columbus drivers my 20 minute drive took an hour AND I DIDN'T EVEN GET TO SEE SOMEONE DEAD OR SOMETHING ON FIRE. What a waste of time.

Yep, routing traffic from 161 through my neighborhood was just great. Never have seen 4 semis in a row creeping through before.

On the other-hand. Any up for some pillsbury rolls on 270? Get on at Morse going south and you have blank freeway ahead of you.

or we should do this:

http://i.imgur.com/cAuBL.jpg

I probably would have just called off of work if I lived or worked on that end of town. Not.worth.it

I think the mess was so terrible this morning because people don't pay attention to traffic reports. I had a friend say she sat on 161 for over an hour this morning waiting to exit to hamilton, then another hour to get to Easton. If she had watched the news, there were many other routes she could have taken to work that would have cost her, at most, 15 minutes.

I think the mess was so terrible this morning because people don't pay attention to traffic reports. I had a friend say she sat on 161 for over an hour this morning waiting to exit to hamilton, then another hour to get to Easton. If she had watched the news, there were many other routes she could have taken to work that would have cost her, at most, 15 minutes.

While I don't completely disagree with you it's not that simple. I know every back way from my work to home. If 270 is completely FUBARed the 15 minutes of my commute near/around the city, can easily turn into half an hour and I've had it last 1 hour or more quite a few times. If the highways are bad most will know or see it and take back roads. Sometimes you will get lucky and hit x back route and it was clear while y back route was fucked. Other times you won't get so lucky.

It sounds like everything was pretty much fucked on that side of town this morning.

it was nasty out there this morning. I was going to take the FD to work today since it's nice out. Started taking the back roads thinking it wouldn't be that bad...not so. Smothers rd (County Line) was backed up over the bridge over Hoover all the way until it dead-ended into Harlem Rd. Harlem was then backed up all the way down to Walnut. Basically all of the people commuting from Newark into Columbus were forced to take those back roads.

I saw the crap on Harlem....:dumb:...I turned my crap around and blasted back by the people stuck in the gridlock. Good think I can work from home. :gabe:

Was back and able to sign on by 8:00 :fuckyeah:

Yep, routing traffic from 161 through my neighborhood was just great. Never have seen 4 semis in a row creeping through before.

On the other-hand. Any up for some pillsbury rolls on 270? Get on at Morse going south and you have blank freeway ahead of you.

or we should do this:

http://i.imgur.com/cAuBL.jpg

I think it's eerily awesome when the freeways are closed.

it was nasty out there this morning. I was going to take the FD to work today since it's nice out. Started taking the back roads thinking it wouldn't be that bad...not so. Smothers rd (County Line) was backed up over the bridge over Hoover all the way until it dead-ended into Harlem Rd. Harlem was then backed up all the way down to Walnut. Basically all of the people commuting from Newark into Columbus were forced to take those back roads.

I saw the crap on Harlem....:dumb:...I turned my crap around and blasted back by the people stuck in the gridlock. Good think I can work from home. :gabe:

Was back and able to sign on by 8:00 :fuckyeah:

My parents live just north of there on Harlem. My dad had a Dr's appt at Polaris this morning. He had to go north to Sunbury and back down at 10am.