$37k SUV comparison?

zeitgeist57

Did anyone see this on Motorweek this past Saturday morning?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/17/cars-com-37-000-suv-shootout-yields-unexpected-results-w-poll/

What a stupid comparison. What sort of arbitrary number is $37k? If a vehicle is $3k more can people all of a sudden not pay more? I understand if you're at $17k and can't afford to go to $20k... I'm a parent and I'm sure not ever paying $37k for a crappy FWD Pilot. Plus, most of these SUVs are going to be either leased or financed anyway...again, why not round up to $40k? The Durango is a great looking SUV, and seems packed with features, and it was 4th? These people are stupid anyway because at $40k they could get an Odyssey or Sienna that would spank the garbage out of all these soccer-mom specials. And don't get me started what awesome 3-row vehicles you can buy 2-3 years old used for $40k...

Fine...you're a well-to-do family guy willing to pay $37k cash for a new SUV. You really pick the ugly Pilot, with not good road manners, and an ugly interior? What sort of purchasing decisions did you make with your brain??? "Hmm, the Joneses have a Pilot so I better buy a Pilot also." "Hmm, this thing isn't as comfortable but I'll buy it anyway because it's a Pilot."

I hate sheeple. FWD SUV's FTL.

Edited by zeitgeist57

I think the new Ford Explorer is one of the nicest of the new SUV's out there. However, while we could easily afford one of these, I see zero point in spending that kind of cash on something to haul my kids around in. Seriously, better things I'd put that money towards. My Trailblazer LTZ stickered at $38k back in 2001 but my lease on it was dirt cheap.

Like them or not Minivans are the best bang out there for families.

Way less pricey

Much nicer ride

Tons of Creature Comforts

More usable space

More comfortable seating

Cheaper to own

I could go on but it's just my opinion

Different strokes as they say.

"Hmm, this thing isn't as comfortable but I'll buy it anyway because it's a Pilot."

I hate sheeple. FWD SUV's FTL.

BUT DUDE ITS A FUCKING HONDA IT WILL LAST FOREVER!!!111!

But I don't care, let them buy all the crap and treat it like it's the best shit ever and keep the resale value up. I'll keep buying the better cars for cheap.

Oh and $43K will get you a Range Rover Evoque :megusta:

"We researched the segment's major players, models such as the Honda Pilot and Chevrolet Traverse, and priced midlevel trims with family-friendly features. That brought us to roughly $37,000, so we asked automakers to give us models below the price that would best serve a family of four.

Ford officials said they were unable to lend us an Explorer because they were in the midst of their model-year changeover, but it's such a large player in the segment that we secured a brand-new 2012 Explorer from a broker. A Hyundai spokesman said the 2012 Veracruz was getting several updates and would not be available in time for our Shootout. Subaru said it did not have a suitable Tribeca available in its fleet."

BTW, this was technically a Cars.com test.

I think the new Ford Explorer is one of the nicest of the new SUV's out there. However, while we could easily afford one of these, I see zero point in spending that kind of cash on something to haul my kids around in. Seriously, better things I'd put that money towards. My Trailblazer LTZ stickered at $38k back in 2001 but my lease on it was dirt cheap.

Way less pricey

Much nicer ride

More usable space

More comfortable seating

Cheaper to own

cant go offroading in a minivan.

Way less pricey

Much nicer ride

More usable space

More comfortable seating

Cheaper to own

Know what else is cheap?

being single :megusta:

Know what else is cheap?

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH. :dumb: If I stay single by the end of next year my only debt will be my mortgage.

but still I will be :fa:

cant go offroading in a minivan.

Please tell that to my wife. Next Saturday I'll catch some pics of our Soccer event. 2,000 familes with maybe six sedans in the entire area. The rest are SUV's and minivans. You'd be surprised what a minivan can go through and over to park on an open grassy area.

Know what else is cheap?

Marry up. It's financially better by a long shot.

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH. :dumb: If I stay single by the end of next year my only debt will be my mortgage. but still I will be :fa:

Again, Marry up and marry right and you too could be mortgage and car payment free. :) Kids....I don't care what anyone says. Best thing to happen to me. I'm having more fun with them than I ever thought.

Way less pricey

Much nicer ride

More usable space

More comfortable seating

Cheaper to own

You must not have read up on them much. They are absolutely horribly rated, and one video from either C&D or motortrend basically said it was garbage...