99-03 7.3l Power Stroke, let's chat

Mojoe

So I looked into Excursions a while back and stopped, thinking it was not something I would really want, you know just an interest but not practical. Well the "interest" hasn't gone away and I have found myself looking into them again and again. It's been about a year, so now it's time to decide or stop wasting my time with looking.

Purpose:

This will be a toy hauler, Snowboard rig. Looking to do light mods and a 4" lift. This thing will also be my all out bug out rig. Red Dawn, Zombies, or rush to Vermont with supplies when we nuke ourselves.

So I know I like the room inside them. I have often gone on snowboarding trips with 3+ people. It would be nice to have the room. Not looking to do a lot of off roading, but will want it to be capable to.

Ok, with that all said, tell me the problems you know on these trucks. I'm on the Power Stroke forum and have been reading. Just looking to see what you guys have to say. I'll post a pic of what I'm thinking I would want my set up to be, once I get off this GOV computer.

Thanks for you in put and for reading.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/dsnowgod/ZombieRig.jpg

Edited by Mojoe
add pic

cas-Recalled

Oil pans runs out

ball joints last about 50-60k miles

rust on the bottoms of all doors

wheel wells rust

99 7.3l have torque converter issues

really other than that they are pretty solid. 99-00s have forged internals iirc. Sometimes you will have glow plug/glow plug relay issues. Are you specifically looking for an Excursion or would you be against a crew-cab truck.

We just bought a 02 Crew-cab.

cas-Recalled

Oil pans runs out

ball joints last about 50-60k miles

rust on the bottoms of all doors

wheel wells rust

99 7.3l have torque converter issues

really other than that they are pretty solid. 99-00s have forged internals iirc. Sometimes you will have glow plug/glow plug relay issues. Are you specifically looking for an Excursion or would you be against a crew-cab truck.

We just bought a 02 Crew-cab.

Damn you. You haven't given me anything bad enough for me to say "don't bother". lol

Excursion only. I like that I can sleep in the back "area". I'm leaning more toward the later years, 02-03.

Pic added

Damn you. You haven't given me anything bad enough for me to say "don't bother". lol

Excursion only. I like that I can sleep in the back "area". I'm leaning more toward the later years, 02-03.

Pic added

they are nice trucks. im not trying to make you dislike them, my mom has a 7.3 dually with 280k running perfect. we've had tons of 7.3s in my family.

The pic you also added was of a 05 (unless they did a new front end).

You also can put the 08+ front ends on them.

The pic is mostly the stance and look, color wise, that I have in mind + brush guard/skid plate and maybe a wench. I have no interest in the 6.0L.

This is a really hard purchase for me to justify. I gave up the house I was going to buy when I came over here. This would make 4 modes of transportation, and no garage. Everything is paid for, except my Subaru, so I have something on my credit. I'm not sure what my plans are for where I want to work when I get back, so that makes this a BIG want and not a need.

I just am tired of not doing track days on the bike because I don't have a rig and trailer. Or going somewhere with the RX7 that I don't want to drive the whole way there in the RX7. And the absolute luxury of a vehicle this size and having your buddies all in it rolling up to the hill to go snowboarding.

I love the Subaru and getting rid of it will not happen. The RX7 is the start of my collection. And the bike is a new found challenge that I want to put more track time into.

I live comfortably, but without a house and garage, I can't pull the trigger on this until I sort out the house issue. But in the mean time, I want to keep an eye open and the right deal might just pop up to make it easier to do this and not worry.

I haven't seen much on things like weak axles or drive line issues when they are pulling a load or even on rough terrain. I'm seeing people get 300k + miles on them and that makes me comfortable to have this for what I have in mind.

All I care is that you invite me on said snowboarding trip.

Every year for the last 5 or so years, I have posted invites and taken friend's up to Vermont to ski and snowboard. Countless times have I posted here, and on Facebook to gather people to head to the hill. You know this. Imagine the awesomeness and how much easier this rig would make these trips.

I would buy one in a heartbeat. I worked on them a bit. That was one of the vehicles we saw the fewest of needing work at the dealership. Cam position sensor can be a small 25 dollar inconvenience, under valve cover injector harness can go bad(like shantons truck), and the injection driver module. Those are the most common problems that aren't that common I would say.

Every year for the last 5 or so years, I have posted invites and taken friend's up to Vermont to ski and snowboard. Countless times have I posted here, and on Facebook to gather people to head to the hill. You know this. Imagine the awesomeness and how much easier this rig would make these trips.

Alls I'm saying is I wanna go.. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

i just bought my '02 a few wks ago. the 7.3 is a TANK of a motor. i know many ppl personally who have over 300k on stock motor. once you start modding them the tranny becomes a weak point, but the motor will be fine as long as you have the right gauges (egt,boost,trans temp).

The 6.0's are a good motor once you get all that emissions bullshit off of them. I used to hate the 6.0's until a good friend of mine put a programmer,exhaust, headstuds, and deleted the emissions and egr shit....night and day difference. i still cant believe how fast that damn truck is. before his programmer i would pull on him but now i wouldnt even try.

I love my 7.3, I bought it with 108k, Had to replace the injector wiring harness under the valve cover and thats been it. put 20k on her this summer and She pulls a trailor everyday.

Good on gas as long as im not in it to win it,

They dont make much hp but they will last forever.

Would I buy another. yes

Do I want a newer chevy diesel , yes

I've had my 03 7.3 for about a year now, it's been my first diesel. I love the thing, tows anything you can throw at it, always starts right up, and has only been in the shop once since i've had it. Has 140k on it now, stock glow plugs, wiring harnesses, relays...not to bad. I had to have the o-rings under the turbo replaced, which are known for leaking.

Like others have said, commonly rust out, mine is no exception. my oil pan was starting to bubble a bit, but sanded it down, primed it and coated it in rust-fix. cab corners and over fenders are going now.

one thing others haven't touched on are the front hub bearings, had to do them on mine, not hard to do just kinda pricey at 300+ per side.

They do well with simple mods too.

I've got:

4 inch turbo back

6637 intake (the best DIY intake lots of write ups)

Hypertech 100hp tune

HPX (high pressure crossover line, makes idle quiter and smoother)