Heating options

Patterson

how efficiently does this heat your house? What normal temperature do you run in winter?

Cost to have done?

My house stays at 72 degrees all winter, no cold rooms. it is an electric heat pump but it is getting its heat from a 62 degree source, not the outside air.

My system cost $16,000 but I took a $4800 tax credit on that year's taxes.

I also get all the domestic hot water I want. Seriously I have tried to run it out of hot water, 2 showers and dishes at the same time.

Has anyone here tried one of the EdenPURE heaters that Bob Vila markets? I have thought about getting one to see if that would help in the winter.

http://www.edenpurestore.com/home

My g-rents gave me one to use. It works ok. I have propane heat in a 10 year old ranch style full basement house. I use it in the living room sometimes but more so in the bedroom. It heats a smaller room pretty nicely. I turn my heat way down at night and use it to keep the room warmish instead of ice cool and heat the room up in the a.m. between a programmable t-stat and the edenpure I only use 500 gallon of propane/year. (single guy/never home during the day) I didn't notice any change in my electric bill with the edenpure being used about everyday for a few hours.

Geothermal in a single well, you will not be happy with it. Thermal transfer doesn't happen fast enough in a single well. My slinky coil system works perfectly, I have never heard anyone complain about one. Wells however, I have heard several people talk about how unhappy they are. If you do go the geo-thermal route, get the water heater option.

I never said it was the best but that it is an alternative. We have had people very happy with their systems on wells and I have heard many people hate it. It is not the ideal setup by all means.

We have all electric at my place and it works fine. Winter the house isnt a sauna but its comfortable. A heat may suck in the winter by itself but the electric furnace takes over when the heat pump cant get everything warm enough.

We looked into having gas run but its expensive and everything needs gutted and the lines run. i know the gas company will run the lines to a certain point but it just wasnt worth the headache and flat wallet afterwards.

In my opinion gas is the way to go. You're pissing money away with electric. It can be done fairly inexpensive. Not as much for you because you have an all electric setup. Many people out here have propane so it is a matter of plumbing some black iron and installing a change over kit into the gas valve of their existing furnace.

In the past two weeks we have converted three houses over to gas from propane. Minus the tankless water heater we installed at the last one, they were relatively inexpensive jobs.

As far as heat pumps go, they can be great setups and they can be junk. most of the time it is all dependant on the systems used and how they are configured. We use exclusively Rheem units and have never had a customer complain about their system after we were finished with it.

I've had baseboard heaters in an apt, then all electric in 2 apts, then all electric in home #1, and now gas heat and tankless water heater.

Hands down... for comfort, for $$, gas is the way to go between electric and gas. The tankless is awesome. Fills the large tub no issue. Wife loves looooonng showers, no worries of ever running out of hot water.

Since I have the land to support it, I would have loved if my place was geo, but maybe that will be a future project, along with some panels.

We are all electric and no problems here. House was built in 59' and have newer Anderson windows, all new exterior doors, db drywall in every wall, 15" of insulation in the attic, 25 year old train system that keeps our bills still under $250 year round.

dipshit on the main road from me has a wood burning shed---smells like a campfire 24-7, and puts smoke in our backyard. plus he's running a chainsaw and log-splitter constantly. i will probably go with geothermal at some point in the next few years when we put an addition on our house.