Heating options

Patterson

So, I'm in the process of buy a new house. It's pretty much exactly what I wanted. Pretty much. The one thing that has erked me from the beginning is it being all electric. Stove, Furnace, water heater etc. Has anyone ever converted a house to gas?

I did a few searches on Columbia Gas, and a general Google search. They both really didn't tell much.

my house is all electric. My neighbors converted to gas a few years before we moved in. I'm pretty sure they just called the gas company to get started (having it run into the house, etc). I don't think it really cost them alot because they said they had planned to replace their stove and such at that time anyway.

When I talked to them about it they had no regrets, but they definitely spend more on energy than we do. I'm not sure what they keep their temperature set at in winter though. We keep it pretty cool in here, so that could be the source of the savings itself. I get a little paranoid when it's really cold out because I know the strip heat is on and it still runs nearly continuous. My electric bill shoots up to about $200/month during the coldest part of the winter.

Im going all electric. It seems cheaper.

You'll fucking regret it. heat pump sucks ass. Its not WARM air.. its just a air thats at temperature. it never feels warm in you rhouse.. even though its at the temperature you set the tehrmostat for. I hate it.. and NEVER AGAIN will i own a house with it.

To get gas run to your home, first it has to be available to your house. Prior to that you have to hafve a plumber come to the house and plumb the house for/with gas lines. ONLY then will Columbus come out and connect a line.

I've been a fan of gas for quite a while. I wanted to go tankless for the water heater as well. The furnace was replaced in 87 or 88. I can see having to/wanting to replace it in a year or two.

Plus the $1500 stove I bought last year. I really dread buying a new one. I'm already looking at a new Fridge and Dishwasher to match in the new house.

I have geothermal, you need a big yard. My 4 150' runs took 1 day to install. Gives me heat and hot water.

Gas is simple, call the gas company and a plumber.

A big yard is not always necessary, there are ways around it. For example, im installing one on a well this week.

So, I'm in the process of buy a new house. It's pretty much exactly what I wanted. Pretty much. The one thing that has erked me from the beginning is it being all electric. Stove, Furnace, water heater etc. Has anyone ever converted a house to gas?

I did a few searches on Columbia Gas, and a general Google search. They both really didn't tell much.

I might be able to help you depending on where you are buying this house. We install gas lines every week. Many people out this way are converting to gas. Pretty easy process. 614-873-5681 is the number to the business line. My father in law can come out and give you a quote. PM me with any questions you might have.

Geothermal in a single well, you will not be happy with it. Thermal transfer doesn't happen fast enough in a single well. My slinky coil system works perfectly, I have never heard anyone complain about one. Wells however, I have heard several people talk about how unhappy they are. If you do go the geo-thermal route, get the water heater option.

Geothermal in a single well, you will not be happy with it. Thermal transfer doesn't happen fast enough in a single well. My slinky coil system works perfectly, I have never heard anyone complain about one. Wells however, I have heard several people talk about how unhappy they are. If you do go the geo-thermal route, get the water heater option.

how efficiently does this heat your house? What normal temperature do you run in winter?

Cost to have done?

A big yard is not always necessary, there are ways around it. For example, im installing one on a well this week.

I might be able to help you depending on where you are buying this house. We install gas lines every week. Many people out this way are converting to gas. Pretty easy process. 614-873-5681 is the number to the business line. My father in law can come out and give you a quote. PM me with any questions you might have.

Thank you sir. Ill be in touch later today or tomorrow.

We have all electric at my place and it works fine. Winter the house isnt a sauna but its comfortable. A heat may suck in the winter by itself but the electric furnace takes over when the heat pump cant get everything warm enough.

We looked into having gas run but its expensive and everything needs gutted and the lines run. i know the gas company will run the lines to a certain point but it just wasnt worth the headache and flat wallet afterwards.

We have all electric at my place and it works fine. Winter the house isnt a sauna but its comfortable. A heat may suck in the winter by itself but the electric furnace takes over when the heat pump cant get everything warm enough.

We looked into having gas run but its expensive and everything needs gutted and the lines run. i know the gas company will run the lines to a certain point but it just wasnt worth the headache and flat wallet afterwards.

This brings up a very interesting subject. Heat pumps. Maybe it wouldnt be so bad with one added in. Most of the Windows are newer (within 5 years I'd say), maybe with that in addition it wouldn't be so bad. Throw in a little extra insulation for good measure.

We keep the temps lowish in the house any way. Mid to high 60's in the winter. When people start to complain I usually tell them to put clothes on.

My house is has newish windows (within 10 years) and a BRAND NEW heat pump.

I will speek for the woman in your life. She will be miserable. My husband is relatively ok with it,but to me, i am freezing. I hate that when the blower turns on the air is a cool air. Its not warm air. We keep the furnace set at 68°. This keep sour lower level at around 66 and our upstairs at 70. (split level).

While the thermostats all say the house is that temperature, it doesnt feel like it. The electric furnace kicks in at around 32 degrees.. Its CONSTANTLY running. It makes for rediculous bills.

We use a kerosene heater now, to help keep the bill down. (and it works better than the heat pump, imho)

We have a small/medium house of 1400 SqFt.

I hate it, I hate it, i hate it. HATE.

We replaced our old furnace thinking that it was the problem why the house was always so cold feeling. Lesson learned.

We will be installing a gas line in the kitchen, but it will be a while before we install gas lines and heater because of the cost.

We were looking at houses that were electric off of sawmil road. I thought it was a bad idea but no gas bill I guess!

I totally agree with Trish. I have all electric too. Winter sucks. The heat pump blows cool air. When the temp drops below 32, get a 2nd or even 3rd job to pay the electric bill. I am on budget, so that kinda helps with the monthly bills.

Has anyone here tried one of the EdenPURE heaters that Bob Vila markets? I have thought about getting one to see if that would help in the winter.

http://www.edenpurestore.com/home

I have a heat pump with propane backup. The heat pump works great in til the temps fall below 32. Then the propane kicks in and I have the hot heat on cold days.

I chose propane over electric backup because it should be less expensive overall. And the heat pump is dirt cheap to run.

On another note, there appears to be a geothermal loop already installed. The previous owners took the furnace. Anybody know anyone who can test the loop?