Considering a newer car for around $10-12k

Prodeje79

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont compromise, wait for the right car. You will find it. If you get anything than your #1 choice, you will always wonder, what if...

The A4s are very common, just keep searching, looking and jump on one you feel comfortable with.

dont compromise, wait for the right car. You will find it. If you get anything than your #1 choice, you will always wonder, what if...

The A4s are very common, just keep searching, looking and jump on one you feel comfortable with.

Ok I am not in a hurry when it comes down to it.

This is a great deal for a 2007. I guess I can try to get them down in price.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2698759393.html

My wife just got a new company car, so the Audi has to go. It has 86k highway miles, but you would never know it. Recently serviced and absolutely no problems. New tires just installed and it is ready for winter with Quattro all wheel drive. The manual 6-speed shifts perfectly and the 2.0T delivers 33MPG on the highway. Loaded with all options including premium leather, factory navigation, satellite radio, automatic wipers, cold weather package, etc. etc. It is a great car and we hate to let it go, but can't justify keeping it around.

We are in New Albany and can show the vehicle any time this weekend... Please email using the link above .

$15,900 or best offer

Ok I am not in a hurry when it comes down to it.

This is a great deal for a 2007. I guess I can try to get them down in price.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2698759393.html

They said the dealer offered them 14k.

They plan to list for 14900 soon.

"It is loaded. The only option that I know of that it does not have is the s- line spoiler pkg. it does have one aftermarket upgrade and that is giac tuning. It makes a huge difference with the 2.0. After owning four S4's, I don't think I could drive a 2.0 without it...it makes that big of a difference."

Does the giac tune void the warranty?

Does the giac tune void the warranty?

Technically, yes.

However, I doubt this car is still in warranty. Do they have the original "in service" date ?

My A4 has been chipped it's entire life with no issues. Unless you are a tool, the dealer really wont' care either. Most of them can be switched back to "stock" programming depending on what options were bought with it.

In all honesty, I wouldn't drive an A4 without a chip either, totally boring.

Technically, yes.

However, I doubt this car is still in warranty. Do they have the original "in service" date ?

My A4 has been chipped it's entire life with no issues. Unless you are a tool, the dealer really wont' care either. Most of them can be switched back to "stock" programming depending on what options were bought with it.

In all honesty, I wouldn't drive an A4 without a chip either, totally boring.

what chip do u recommend?

Audi said there is a 10th year 120k mile camshaft warranty.

More info on the 2007:

>> Thanks for your interest. Audi now recommends timing belt at 105k for the 2.0t, so it has not been done. They Do recommend a high pressure fuel pump and cam follower as these cause major problems. This has been done. >>> >>> Service has been completed by Auto Assets in Powell which is a very good Porsche Audi service center. I just had them go through it to check everything out.

what chip do u recommend?

Audi said there is a 10th year 120k mile camshaft warranty.

More info on the 2007:

>> Thanks for your interest. Audi now recommends timing belt at 105k for the 2.0t, so it has not been done. They Do recommend a high pressure fuel pump and cam follower as these cause major problems. This has been done. >>> >>> Service has been completed by Auto Assets in Powell which is a very good Porsche Audi service center. I just had them go through it to check everything out.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd go straight to APR stage2+

First: get latest PCV & Diverter valve installed, then:

1. Apr Flash

2. Test pipe

3. APR FSI Pump

The closest APR dealer (TC Kline) is 1 minute off the highway in Hilliard (cemetery rd)

I initially did a the Flash & Test pipe, huge difference but I was having fuel cut issues at about 5K rpm.

Installed the upgraded fuel pump, got the stage2+ flash and viola, more power everywhere and screams to redline.

The follower problem is not a fix it once and forget it. It is a maintenance item. Depending on your mod level, it is a 15-25K mile service.

Here is the best DIY I found and use:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/341926-Cam-follower-DIY-in-PDF-form

It is about 30-60 minutes of work, and you then know 100% then you are not going to bore a hole through your follower and cause some serious damage.

PS: The timing belt should probably be done before 105K anyway.

They just did that to push it outside of any covered maintenance (IE: Audicare).

If I were to do it all over again, I'd go straight to APR stage2+

First: get latest PCV & Diverter valve installed, then:

1. Apr Flash

2. Test pipe

3. APR FSI Pump

The closest APR dealer (TC Kline) is 1 minute off the highway in Hilliard (cemetery rd)

thanks for the info!

Will that still keep MPG high like stage 1 appears to?

How much does that all cost approximately to do to stage2+?

OK PLEASE FIND ME ONE :)

I wish this guy would call or email me back!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=307203616

Yes, timing belt should be done about 75k ish.

I got mine chipped at TC Kline and it was a good experience.

Wait for a APR sale usually 2-4 times a year, and you can get a "fully loaded" ECU for the price of just the single program (chip). With 30 min labor, my bill was $650 for 4 programs, stock, 91, 93 and 100 (valet is an option, but I never valet my car, so I thought having the 91 octane in case I travel out west with it was the best bet).

Test pipes are cheap on Ebay, about $150.

Fuel Pump should also be purchased during the sale, saving cash, but are very expensive full retail.

2k and you should be all set, allowing for the cam follower, DV, PCV, Chip, Test pipe and pump.

I had GIAC on my 06 A4, and it was fine, but I will stick with APR from here on out.

Stage1 people report another 1-2mpg Stage2+ (test pipe / lack of cat helps a lot) people report up to 35mpg. I've seen 35-36 w/ the cruise @ 70 on a non stop trip to Dayton.

Naturally, the first few tanks will go fast when you feel what 20psi vs 10psi feels like. But if you just keep it easy on the freeway, you'll get civic like economy, thanks to gearing & DI.

Test pipe's range from 75 (ebay) to like $300 for the 4". I got an ebay pipe, but it was not an exact fit. Holes needed to be enlarged ect.

Flash goes on sale for about 600 a few times a year.

Fuel pump is usually 1000-1300.

I wish this guy would call or email me back!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=307203616

That one looks like a good deal. It has some mods: It has the Votex front and rear fascia (Audi/VW product, after purchase option), BBS CH wheels, looks to be a bit lower than the sport package, probably on springs, tint, has wood trim and the spare is a 17" C5 A6 wheel.

Looks nice though, just not a fan of the front votex extensions.

Is this fuel pump thing a design flaw, metallurgical failure, or what? How can they not get a cam follower to last the life of the motor?

design flaw

it really isn't an issue if known about from day 1

my dads car is all stock, he replaced it at 30k miles and it looked fine. We will be doing it every 25k, so 50/75/100 etc, its like $50 and should keep him from every having any worries. If you are chipped, like Jones said, move that to about 10/15k depending on driving habits.

The 2.0T TSI is the redesign of the 2.0T FSI. It addresses the timing belt by using a chain, upgrades the fueling system (high bar/psi and redesigned fuel pump/cam area eliminating this worry), and pcv system.

They introduced the new engine in 2008.5 in the VW Audi products. No B7 A4 has the TSI.

No need for pcv fix, or fuel pump on the TSI, making it much cheaper to get same power out of the TSI, and the TSI is getting better numbers mod for mod, due to a much better flowing head.

If you are still considering this car, I would get details on what this means. Did they replace the follower? just have it inspected? replace pump? cam? etc.

This might not mean anything more than an inspection, which I would still do myself to make 100% sure.

Is this fuel pump thing a design flaw, metallurgical failure, or what? How can they not get a cam follower to last the life of the motor?

The follower does not have a roller...

Think of an old flat tappet design.

The lobes smack against the fuel pump follower at at least 2x the engine rpm.

Damaged view of cam lobes:

http://dataton.net/vw/engine_bay/camshaft/hpfp_lobe-3-800.jpg

Fuel Pump & damaged follower:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9730/1001052q.jpg

What hasn't helped is the severe drop off of ZDDP & other additives from most oils due to emissions crap. (A lot of older Porsches are running into valve-train issues due to this as well)

My car as been fed a steady diet of Mobile 1 0W40 (their last true synthetic) along with some Redline engine assembly additive (zddp). This brings my ZDDP up to around 1500-2000ppm. Even with my upgraded HPFP & additional fuel rail demands, I can change my follower @ 15K and it still looks great.

It's really not a big deal for me, every 3-4 oil changes it takes me an extra 30-60 minutes and voila, good for another 15-20K.

As Aaron was saying, on the new generation they went to a 100% roller follower, along with more lobes and a shorter stroke on the pump. This brings the likelihood of damaging wear down to nothing really.

If you are still considering this car, I would get details on what this means. Did they replace the follower? just have it inspected? replace pump? cam? etc.

This might not mean anything more than an inspection, which I would still do myself to make 100% sure.

Follower and pump.

Although I need to see receipts.

Is that auto assets place he had it serviced at reputable?

Ask jones about the v8 s4s if you want, but this serves as your warning!

The s4 is a bit to hard on parts, has v ery little room to work on them and if something should go wrong, and is too costly to mod/maintain and the possibility of major failure and or high dollar repairs would make them a non option for me.

Ask jones about the v8 s4s if you want, but this serves as your warning!

The s4 is a bit to hard on parts, has v ery little room to work on them and if something should go wrong, and is too costly to mod/maintain and the possibility of major failure and or high dollar repairs would make them a non option for me.

Ok I will quit dreaming and stick to my requirements .

Any other sites I should look at?

Searchtempest and the sites it uses.

Autotrader

Cars.com

Vehix

Ebay

vwvortex

Audizine

Yahoo autos

quattroworld

audiworld

craigslist

In straight line speed, and regarless of what jones wishes to admit, the v8 s4 is faster than anything short of a k04 2.0T A4. I really like the engine, but the possibility of major repairs on a car that isn't cheap to buy yet besides one off sketchy examples like you posted above, make it off the list for me. The A4 will do 85% of what an S4 can do, and with the right mods, can be made to brake and handle BETTER due to its lower weight. he interiors are the same sans the seats. You are only compromising the sound and power for 85% of the power and the ability to get almost 200% better gas mileage with the A4.

The S4 is cool and all, but largely irrelevant with todays turbo kits that push the 2.0T power well into the 300 range with the K04.