Why do kids have to be so dumb?

wnaplay1647545503

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether he meant to do it or not is not the issue, he did it and he needs to pay for it. Your lawn needs mowed I'm sure there are some household things he can do to pay for it even if his parents don't understand English.

The fact is they know they are supposed to ask and he did it anyway causing damage to your property, he needs to pay for it not just apologize. You have no income as you said and it is $400 you don't have to spend on the item, I'd leave it broke personally that way ALL the kids learn what respect means.

My $0.02

Nobody mows my grass but me, its one of the only things I enjoy to do. And unless you call dusting, household, there really is nothing needing done around here. You guys do realize I cannot make this kid do these things your suggesting. Its not my place to teach him any lessons, thats his parents. If they dont know how to offer to do whats right or at least initiate the conversation, I am not going to bother with it.

Nobody mows my grass but me, its one of the only things I enjoy to do. And unless you call dusting, household, there really is nothing needing done around here. You guys do realize I cannot make this kid do these things your suggesting. Its not my place to teach him any lessons, thats his parents. If they dont know how to offer to do whats right or at least initiate the conversation, I am not going to bother with it.

Two options are: Take them to small claims court.. Or just turn it into your insurance company and let them go after the parents for repayment.

And it sure IS your place to teach him a lesson. You say you will let him come back over without taking care of his responsibility (or his parents taking care of it), so you are teaching him a lesson! That there are no consequences for your actions and since your parents don't speak English - you're off the hook. You can do whatever you want with the situation. If you want to take it in the @$$ and pay for the (basically) vandalism - that is on you. You have many courses of action to take that involve you not paying for the damage caused by this kid.

Small claims, been there, never again. Insurance deductible is $500, already checked. I spoke with the kid, expressed that I wasnt happy about it, he knows he did something wrong and it was an accident. I dont think he was aiming right at the backboard necessarily just in that general direction. If it were the other way around I would have to consider if it was my full responsibility that my kid did something like this especially if the parents kind of allowed access to the device which caused it. In the end I would do whatever it took to work out an amicable agreement but thats me and I dont expect everyone to react this way either right or wrong. I dont necessary mind so much paying to get it fixed, I just hate the fact that I have been putting off spending money on something I actually wanted to but now spend on something like this. This literally would pay for about 1/2 the cost of my new car frame.

just thought id make an offer, i have a brand new basketball hoop in my garage im tryin to get rid of but its composite. id give it to you cheap if you were interested, just figured id offer it to ya even though i know you want glass, its a cheap alternative if you wanna go with that for now

In late but with my thoughts.

In the end I think it's the responsibility of the gun owner 100%. If it's just a kid, you can't put any responsibility on them as he's likely too young to really understand the consequences. Obviously too young mentally to understand the consequences of firing any weapon. Some here will disagree, but gain, he's just a kid and as much as you'd like to think so, they don't get it.

Also, I can't stress enough as a gun owner, and I have several, the safe keeping of a gun is my responsibility. It's not up to those around me to handle them safely or not handle them. I'm the adult and the owner, I'm responsible. Especially in my own home.

I'm with Trish in terms of also being wary of what a parent would say about you letting them handle a gun. Even a pellet gun. My son is skilled in using his and respects weapon but if I found out another parent let him handle one and exposed him to a situation that led to an accidental or careless discharge, I'd be the one pissed. Again, Adults are the ones responsible, not kids. That's why they are minors.

In the end, glad no one was hurt and the lesson learned on both sides. FWIW, I absolutely consider a pellet gun a deadly weapon. I have a 1,200fps .22cal Break-Barrel pellet gun that I wouldn't ever want to have discharged accidentally. If you cracked a kid in the head at less than 30ft with it, you better believe that shit wouldn't just require a band aid and an ice pack. Imagine too if it hit an eye. He'd likely be brain dead.

While I agree, in this situation with this type of weapon, I dont think it carries nearly the weight as what you've described. This "gun" has never hurt anyone, while the basketball court has been attributed to quit a few injuries over the years. I personally worry more about these situations when my kids ask to go to friends house rather than an issue with a bbgun.

I know alot of you guys still have young kids but as mine have become older I dont necessarily worry so much about what "ifs" and "maybes". I worry about them but I have to accept the fact that they are getting older and will get themselves into situations that I wont be there for. I expect/hope they remember the commonsense stuff I've taught them.

Wait until the first time your kid comes home with 20 paintball welts all over them, I couldnt even get this bbgun to puncture a squirrell from 5' away. We do have a much stronger pellet gun the kids use in tennessee and thats kept up.

Calling this a firearm is open to interpretation and depending on who you ask and where your located its not necessary considered one, as I do not. keep in mind some consider a slingshot a firearm, even a rubberband gun can be considered one depending on where your from. I have heard this is written into their law.

Edited by wnaplay

Ok, I have read everything in this thread and have this figured out for you Jason.

Shoot the kid with the BB gun so he understands how serious they are and you get some revenge.

If there was a problem, yo, I'll solve it check out the hook while BC revolves it

While I agree, in this situation with this type of weapon, I dont think it carries nearly the weight as what you've described. This "gun" has never hurt anyone, while the basketball court has been attributed to quit a few injuries over the years. I personally worry more about these situations when my kids ask to go to friends house rather than an issue with a bbgun.

The points i was trying to make don't revolve around the type of gun. They revolve around your role and responsibility as it relates to any weapon around kids and their role as a minor. Especially kids that are not your own.

I couldnt even get this bbgunI to puncture a squirrell from 5' away. We do have a much stronger pellet gun the kids use in tennessee and thats kept up.

I get that But again, not the point I would focus on. The actions and roles are key.

Calling this a firearm is open to interpretation and depending on who you ask and where your located its not necessary considered one, as I do not. keep in mind some consider a slingshot a firearm, even a rubberband gun can be considered one depending on where your from. I have heard this is written into their law.

I agree to a point, but then I didn't use the term firearm.

Hey, in the end it sounds like there was was a good coaching moment for all and no one was hurt.

Now I have a dilemma. I come home today to a phone call from the daughter(older sister of the boy) who speaks english I can understand, saying her dad was coming over with a check. A few minutes later the boy comes in and said he didnt get in any trouble(I did not want him to) and his parents just said dont touch the bbgun again(its been taken and put up) and hands me a check for the full amount. I had already come to the resolve that these things happen and I would just pay for it. Do I take the check and not think twice or do I refund him 1/2 and I pay 1/2? Or should I just cover the whole thing? I never asked them to pay anything but had faith they would offer at somepoint, and if they didnt no idea. It was at my house with me providing or at least allowing access to the device which aided it creating the issue. Would this be any different if the kid had picked up a rock and threw it at the board, breaking it? My wife knows the daughter as she works at the high school the girl attends and the daughter stated her brother is spoiled and didnt get in trouble, not that it makes alot of difference. We put the court up the same as we did the pool, trampoline, and massive swingset at the time so that kids would come hang out here and not be out running the streets in trouble and so far this has been the first and only issue in all the years.

Personally, I would take the Check. Would you not pay if your kid caused the same damage elsewhere?

KillJoy

Now I have a dilemma. I come home today to a phone call from the daughter(older sister of the boy) who speaks english I can understand, saying her dad was coming over with a check. A few minutes later the boy comes in and said he didnt get in any trouble(I did not want him to) and his parents just said dont touch the bbgun again(its been taken and put up) and hands me a check for the full amount. I had already come to the resolve that these things happen and I would just pay for it. Do I take the check and not think twice or do I refund him 1/2 and I pay 1/2? Or should I just cover the whole thing? I never asked them to pay anything but had faith they would offer at somepoint, and if they didnt no idea. It was at my house with me providing or at least allowing access to the device which aided it creating the issue. Would this be any different if the kid had picked up a rock and threw it at the board, breaking it? My wife knows the daughter as she works at the high school the girl attends and the daughter stated her brother is spoiled and didnt get in trouble, not that it makes alot of difference.

I struggle with that question steve. My only thing is in this particular instance the kid knows he is supposed to ask so an adult is there to help prevent something like this. If my kid was at someone else's house who said "sure you guys go out back and knock yourselves out" and something like this happened, I would not offer to pay. That parent as I do should understand accidents like this happen and if you allow it......... If I was out there at the time and I had the shooting stuff setup and say it ricocheted, well I would never accept the kids parents paying, but the kid knew better, had a brain fart, and took the liberty on his own.

Take the check. Keep the boundaries between you and parents civil. They may be offended that you wont let them pay to repair it. (just a thought) If they had wanted to negotiate payment, they would have.

They are being kind enough to realize that even though they have given him permission to use this at your house, they didnt allow thier son to be disrespectful to your rules.

Dont over think it. Take check replace the backboard and move it. They did exactly what you were worried about, which was replacing the broken backboard.