Motor Trend 2012 Car of the Year

El Karacho1647545492

This totally in no way sarcastic (why would you even think that? Don't be a pessimist) analysis of MT's COTY pick made my day.

Fuck VW and their bland, boring bullshitmobiles. I've got no issue with the rest of the companies under the VAG umbrella, but the direction they're trying to take the auto industry in disappoints me greatly.

http://jalopnik.com/5860185/motortrends-2012-car-of-the-year-is-an-epic-win-for-mediocrity

While it certainly isn't fantastic, is it less deserving than the fusion some years back? No.

The fact is, they are making large advances in sales and public perception with these watered down models. If exciting sold, they wouldn't have to do this. It doesn't, so they have to. In the us, reliable, large , bland automatic sedans sell.

The old b6 was a great car, but never sold well because the euro version cost alot. The new passat can be had for cheaper, but with stripper models only. The strategy is low base prices to bring customers in, then they option the car out.

This works as the new jetta has higher avg transaction prices than the outgoing model despite significantly lower base price.

Cliffs, buy a nw exciting model you want them to keep building, or shutup.

Just drove a 2012 Passat TDI DSG over the weekend.

I see no compelling reason anyone with a family would remotely buy a Camry or Achoad if they gave it a shot. HUGE car, back seat room is phenomenal. Quiet, nary any hint that it is a diesel underneath, saw between 45- 55mpg on my test drive along 270.

Best part, fully optioned with leather, heated seats, touch screen nav, ect. ect. It was 31K. It's a hard car to beat for the money, and a game changer for VW when they can not only make the best car, but also be the best bargain.

For a family who wants it all, it has NO competition IMO.

PS: The Fiat is an abortion, your opinion is null and void.

And lol at you thinking vw is taking the auto industry into boring cars.

They are forced to do this because boring shit from the below is selling like hot cakes, enthusiast cars don't. Go check out the european options for vw, dozens of color choices, dozens of engine/trans/drivetrain layouts.

Toyota

honda

nissan

lexus

acura

chevy

ford

Sans the camaro/mustang/corvette, their equivelant models are just as boring.

So you're argument is that it's better than a Camry and an Accord? Two horribly boring cars that I recommend to no one? And I'm not supposed to make fun of this award... why?

I understand why VW decided to go downmarket with the Jetta and Passat. I don't understand why I need to like them, though.

So you're argument is that it's better than a Camry and an Accord? Two horribly boring cars that I recommend to no one? And I'm not supposed to make fun of this award... why?

I understand why VW decided to go downmarket with the Jetta and Passat. I don't understand why I need to like them, though.

That's not the point, YOU personally don't need to like them.

The car was built to compete for the $$$ of the masses, not the enthusiast.

In my mind, the Camry & Achoad are the premiere family "buy me" sedans that typically win year over year due to their ability to please the masses of commuting boring people.

The Passat introduced this awesome car at a competitive price point, gives people a choice of 6mt or DSG, and fuel economy none of them can touch, hybrid or not. It is in a class of it's own in that regard.

That is a win/win/win/ as far as I am concerned. Will I personally rush out and buy one, of course not. Fuel economy & ability to haul a bunch of kids around is not on the tops of my list, but it is for the 95%....

Yep, people vote with their wallets, and nobody buying 10 year old F bodies and Grand Prix have the abillity to sway companies into building exciting cars.

Purchasing new, is the only way, and most people want family cars/people movers/boring/big/automatic.

The R32/Golf R are just regular models over in Europe/ROW, not once every 4 years with 5k supply. They offer tons of diesel and high powered gassers, manual transmission, and AWD and any combination in between. Here, we get 4 colors in the greyscale, fwd only sans SUVs, or specialty one of R versions.

The flip side, is cars are significantly cheaper to purchase here, than anywhere else.

Yep, people vote with their wallets, and nobody buying 10 year old F bodies and Grand Prix have the abillity to sway companies into building exciting cars.

Purchasing new, is the only way, and most people want family cars/people movers/boring/big/automatic.

The R32/Golf R are just regular models over in Europe/ROW, not once every 4 years with 5k supply. They offer tons of diesel and high powered gassers, manual transmission, and AWD and any combination in between. Here, we get 4 colors in the greyscale, fwd only sans SUVs, or specialty one of R versions.

The flip side, is cars are significantly cheaper to purchase here, than anywhere else.

Yup, 7-8K price difference from the europe built model.

I passed "Volkswagen Blvd" IN KY on my way to AL in October.

Very cool.

An argument I make all the time. What I don't see, however, is why that means I can't make fun of Motor Trend for picking shitty boring cars as COTY.

None of you fanboys would touch this car with a 10 foot pole and yet you're in here defending this like it's a good move by MT for some reason.

An argument I make all the time. What I don't see, however, is why that means I can't make fun of Motor Trend for picking shitty boring cars as COTY.

None of you fanboys would touch this car with a 10 foot pole and yet you're in here defending this like it's a good move by MT for some reason.

Dense much ?

We are applauding it for what it is, it SHOULD be the car of the year.

MT can't and won't appoint some one off hatchback as the COTY. It makes no sense for anybody.

However, as enthusiasts, the more money the company makes, the more likely they will be able to fund special one off cars and projects. I'm glad they won COTY. Might help sell that many more cars, which can help fund the next 6 speed turbo hatch project.

Business decision of the year?

Right move for shareholders of the year?

Somewhere between one-off hatchback and boring shitty sedan there are plenty of other options. Here's the full list of 35 "contenders."

http://wot.motortrend.com/2012-car-of-the-year-contenders-revealed-which-one-is-your-choice-135751.html

I'd rather have seen the Veloster win.

Just because I wouldn't buy the new passat doesn't mean it isn't deserved. It fits none of my needs as jones said above therefore, not interested. If I was looking for a nice midsize car, sure I would consider it.

Thankfully jones is saying what I wanted to say because typing all this on my phone is pissing me off!

Just because I wouldn't buy the new passat doesn't mean it isn't deserved. It fits none of my needs as jones said above therefore, not interested. If I was looking for a nice midsize car, sure I would consider it.

Thankfully jones is saying what I wanted to say because typing all this on my phone is pissing me off!

http://danawesome.netau.net/images/Malicious%20-%20Troll/i%20feels%20ya%20bra.png

Just drove a 2012 Passat TDI DSG over the weekend.

I see no compelling reason anyone with a family would remotely buy a Camry or Achoad if they gave it a shot. HUGE car, back seat room is phenomenal. Quiet, nary any hint that it is a diesel underneath, saw between 45- 55mpg on my test drive along 270.

Best part, fully optioned with leather, heated seats, touch screen nav, ect. ect. It was 31K. It's a hard car to beat for the money, and a game changer for VW when they can not only make the best car, but also be the best bargain.

PS: The Fiat is an abortion, your opinion is null and void.

Not saying it doesn't have any of those things, but IMO the COTY should be something that inspires the entire automotive world to get better. Never once have I heart someone say "man you have GOT to check out that new Passat dude! Its fuckin awesome!" Give it to the 5.0 Mustang or something.

You'll be happy to know the #1 manufacturer people in Cbus are leaving to get into a FIAT is VW. I feel like my manager is apprasing a used Jetta or Golf at least twice a week.

Clearly an inspiring list below...

2000: Toyota Celica

2001: PT Cruiser

2002: Ford Thunderbird

2003: Infiniti G35

2004: Toyota Prius

2005: Chrysler 300

2006: Honda Civic

2007: Toyota Camry

2008: Cadillac CTS

2009: Nissan GT-R

2010: Ford Fusion

Not saying it doesn't have any of those things, but IMO the COTY should be something that inspires the entire automotive world to get better. Never once have I heart someone say "man you have GOT to check out that new Passat dude! Its fuckin awesome!" Give it to the 5.0 Mustang or something.

You'll be happy to know the #1 manufacturer people in Cbus are leaving to get into a FIAT is VW. I feel like my manager is apprasing a used Jetta or Golf at least twice a week.

Make you a deal, I'll come in and you can hook me up with a test drive of the 500. I'll compare it to my 11, 6, and 1 year old boring sedans and see if I feel it does anything remarkably better than any of them. :p

I said for the family guy with kids.

IE: He is budget minded.... 50mpg+ room for 4 hookers in the trunk & 3 adults in the back.

I'm the family guy with 2 kids and want AWD, :fuuuu:

My point is if you want AWD in a VW you have to step up to Audi now, the Passat does not have "everything".