Engine High Rev then dying

justinwebb

I am working on my DD which is a 91 Olds cutlass ciera 3.3 v6. It was running fine drove to the store and when I came back out wouldnt start without cranking on it. After letting it sit i could get it to turn over but it would go into a really high idle then die again. If it push on the gas it will continue crazy high idle then when letting off it dies. Any ideas on what it might be? or where to start? Any ideas are greatly appreciated

Does it have an ISC/IAC motor?

Either ISC/IAC-something related problem, or the throttle is sticking (due to carbon buildup) or a vacuum line came loose are my best guesses.

Edited by acklac7
added IAC

• 2 weeks later...
Try the EGR valve. Turn the key on, then tap the egr LIGHTLY with a small hammer or similar striking tool. Then try to start the engine. Sometimes carbon builds up on the egr plunger and won't allow it to close properly causing an internal vacume leak. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Start by banging on the computer, I'm not kidding either. Those years suck for ECM issues, I think its in the passenger side kick panel. If it isn't there its down behind the passenger headlight. Aside from cleaning carbon build-up off the IAC an throttle body, idle air control valves don't usually go bad. Possible MAF but thats hard to condemn without putting a new one on or watching it with a scan tool to see if its out of range, assuming it has a MAF I think the 3.3 did.