Help me decide my next upgrade.

TurboGoKart

Lol. Big brakes, 150 shot, or good coilovers.

Would you consider stopping, power, or handling more important?

Brakes would be good because I'd be able to stop/slow much quicker than what's currently on there. Power would be good because hell, that's fun. But if I add power, with current brakes, will I be able to stop when I need to? And handling is always needed. I have crappy coilovers on the car now. Real crappy.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big brakes are almost universally prescribed for better heat management in road racing, and will have no impact on your ability to stop quickly. Get better pads and tires if you're having problems stopping.

Nitrous has no place in road racing.

That leaves only 1 reasonable option.

I'd say brakes, but it sounds like you've already decided.

On which? Lol. I'm still completely up in the air about it. Brakes would be the cheapest, then it's a toss up b/w coilovers and naws, depending which coils I go with. The naws is including the retune.

Included in the BBK, are 13" 350z track rotors, Wilwood 4 piston Superlite calipers, whatever pads I choose, stainless brake lines. I'd say that's quite an upgrade stopping-wise than the stock stuff I have on there now. I'll also put the auto 240sx booster in, which is bigger than the manual 240sx booster.

Included in the BBK, are 13" 350z track rotors, Wilwood 4 piston Superlite calipers, whatever pads I choose, stainless brake lines. I'd say that's quite an upgrade stopping-wise than the stock stuff I have on there now. I'll also put the auto 240sx booster in, which is bigger than the manual 240sx booster.

Big brakes are a great bling factor, but toatlly useless unless on the street and many times heavier than your OEM application increasing unsprung rotational mass in the process.

They will not reduce stopping distance vs. your OEM brakes unless you're pounding them lap after lap on the track where the heat resistance is the biggest factor.

Get performance pads if you want more initial bite on the street, but tires will be your limiting factor as to how quickly you can stop on the street 99% of the time.

I vote (good) coilovers

Big brakes are a great bling factor, but toatlly useless unless on the street and many times heavier than your OEM application increasing unsprung rotational mass in the process.

They will not reduce stopping distance vs. your OEM brakes unless you're pounding them lap after lap on the track where the heat resistance is the biggest factor.

Get performance pads if you want more initial bite on the street, but tires will be your limiting factor as to how quickly you can stop on the street 99% of the time.

I vote (good) coilovers

+1.

In my Corvette, I used eBay cross-drilled/slotted rotors, but had good carbon-ceramic/semi-metallic/bamboo-and-bubblegum brake pads (clearly I forget now what they were, suffice to say they were very good quality) and I was amazed at the braking performance on the street, at triple-digit highway speeds in Ohio and Florida, and flogging the crap out of it following my buddy's Ford GT - and keeping up on the turns - at BeaveRun. Stock sized brakes, just better quality, bolt-on brake parts.

COILOVERS! Plus, you can sell your crappy coilovers on eBay/CL to recoup some of the cost. There WILL be a 240 owner out there that will buy them...

Also, the bigger brake master cylinder (guessing that's what you mean) only really affects pedal feel, not stopping power.

That entire list of parts sounds like a waste of money, minus the "whatever pads I choose" part.

Brake booster is the big circle like black thing that the master mounts to.

Brake booster is the big circle like black thing that the master mounts to.

I didn't realize swapping boosters was a thing with 240s. In the Honda world, people swap MCs all the time when changing calipers, but the boosters are all the same, or at least nobody cares about the differences.

I vote (good) coilovers

Wow, I applaud your use of common sense.

On most of the forums I am on, people buy a BBK to put behind their 20" wheels to show how cool they are.

<3

Big brakes are almost universally prescribed for better heat management in road racing, and will have no impact on your ability to stop quickly. Get better pads and tires if you're having problems stopping.

Nitrous has no place in road racing.

That leaves only 1 reasonable option.

Finally, someone who makes sense. Very few cars actually need coilovers or any sort of additional stiffness when they're running junk tires. The only reason to make the car stiffer is when the tire grip overpowers the chassis' ability, causing excess roll. Provided your car isn't as soft as a sponge in the corners, tires are the best mod. Grip > All.

I understand about tires. Obviously, you could have the best shit on your car suspension wise, but if THE PART THAT ACTUALLY MAKES CONTACT WITH THE ROAD sucks, then your other parts are worthless.

The reason for coilovers on my car is because of the added weight in the car, which still isnt that much, but being that my oil pan sits ridiculously close to the ground, it NEEDS to be tight/stiff up front at the least. And we all know how much these roads suck around here lol. The car is 20+ years old. Baby elephants are cute.