Help me decide my next upgrade.

TurboGoKart

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coil over for sure if you are road racing. I switched from Spec Miata Bilsteins (which are good) to some killer JIC FLT-A2's and gained 2 seconds a lap at Putnam park. Totally changed the handling of the car. IF you are not road racing go Nitrous.

I haven't ever road raced the car. I'm definitely not opposed to it, although it would only be for PDX's as it's not up to any class safety specs (ie, no cage, etc.).

Rear tires are MT ET Street radials, 275's, fronts are Kuhmo Ecsta MX, 245's. It's mostly a fun street car.

can you even go around turns fast with ET Street's on the rear? Guess you could always throw Kuhmo's on the rear but if memory serves ET streets have such a soft sidewall I wouldn't want to put a ton of side load on them anyhow...and if that's the case and you intend to keep running those rear tires then better coilovers would be useless in it's current configuration.

I haven't ever road raced the car. I'm definitely not opposed to it, although it would only be for PDX's as it's not up to any class safety specs (ie, no cage, etc.).

Rear tires are MT ET Street radials, 275's, fronts are Kuhmo Ecsta MX, 245's. It's mostly a fun street car.

Wait, what?

What is your goal or plan for the car?

What racing do you do if any?

Are we talking about a 240? If so, why do you run MT ET streets?

I'm running 275/40/17 MT ET's on the rear. The sidewalls are pretty firm. There's really not much sidewall lol. It's nothing like the 15" MT's.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I could lock up my tires right now. I haven't tried. The fronts are 245/40/17's. Keep in mind how FAR over the stock tire size I am. My thought is the stock brakes aren't really designed for the bigger/wider tires I'm running. But I'm a lttle newer to braking regardless lol. I suppose I'll grab some Brembo blanks and Hawk pads and see what that does. It just really feels like I have to stand on the brakes a bit to get it to stop with any purpose. I'm wondering if with the bigger brake booster, would that pull a slightly larger vacuum for the brakes? Making the pedal-feel feel like I don't have to stand on them quite as hard?

I'm running 275/40/17 MT ET's on the rear. The sidewalls are pretty firm. There's really not much sidewall lol. It's nothing like the 15" MT's.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I could lock up my tires right now. I haven't tried. The fronts are 245/40/17's. Keep in mind how FAR over the stock tire size I am. My thought is the stock brakes aren't really designed for the bigger/wider tires I'm running. But I'm a lttle newer to braking regardless lol. I suppose I'll grab some Brembo blanks and Hawk pads and see what that does. It just really feels like I have to stand on the brakes a bit to get it to stop with any purpose. I'm wondering if with the bigger brake booster, would that pull a slightly larger vacuum for the brakes? Making the pedal-feel feel like I don't have to stand on them quite as hard?

Good observation about the tire size from stock, hence why it was asked if you can lock the brakes up. On most all cars that are stock you can easily lock the tires with the stock brakes. Even on upgraded rubber you can as well. When you upgrade to the point that you are at, it may be time to try a "premium" rotor, which everyone should use anyways and a more aggressive pad.

As far as feel goes, you need to do what Patterson said and make sure the booster is getting adequate vacuum that it is supposed to get since your swap.

You could arguably get braided steel brake hoses, which help in the "feel" department since they don't flex like the rubber ones due when applying brake force.

Remember there are a lot of opinions and directions to go depending on what you want to do. Obviously SAFETY is #1, if you coil overs are rattling/leaking (ahem like mine are ahem), I would seriously consider making a repair there first.

I say coilovers first, then you could sell the old ones to start a fund for better brake pads, 2 pluses there, you don't have to worry about ripping your oil pan off, and coilovers can help with brakeing, at least with the weight transfer part and being able to stop harder without coilovers could be detramental to your oil pan (srsly, you need a custom pan or something, that thing is gonna get ripped off one day and shit will indeed be all bad)