Bedding procedure?

PRD2BDF

I Googled for some bedding procedures because I am going to do my brakes either tomorrow or Tuesday. I got my stuff from r1concepts.com during their Cyber Monday sale (new OEM blanks and ceramic pads for 200 shipped)

I keep reading conflicting reports on how to bed. Some are brand-specific. The pads I purchased are under the r1concept name and I checked their website, they have nothing and their live assistance is shit.

Does anyone have any generic bedding procedures they use?

I usually do something like 60 to 10mph about 5 times, allowing cooling time in between the runs of about 30 seconds. They say after you do the multiple stops, to not use your brakes for the remainder of the trip, and to allow adequate cooling time, such as about 5 minutes of driving without brake use.

The stops should be as hard as you can without allowing anti-lock to kick in, and to not boil your fluid.

Their is more detail online for this, but this is what I remember, and is probably not 100% accurate, but close enough.

It's suprising your manufacturer does not have a specific procedure for their pads. Here are instructions for two other performance pad manufacturer's on their ceramic compound pads. Both are similar and should get the job done.

HAWK

After installing new pads make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 35 mph with moderate pressure. Make an additional two to three hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph. Do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop.When completed with this process, park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool completely before driving on them again. Do not engage the parking brake until after this cooling process is compete

SATISFIED

For Gransport GS6 Carbon Ceramic Pads —

Step 1: Make 10 stops from 30 mph (50 kph) down to about 10 mph (15 kph) using moderate braking pressure and allowing approximately 30 seconds between stops for cooling. Do not drag your pads during these stops. After the 10th stop, allow 15 minutes for your braking system to cool down.

Step 2: Make 5 consecutive stops from 50 mph (80 kph) down to 10 mph (15 kph). After the 5th stop, allow your braking system to cool for approximately 30 minutes. This completes the break-in of your pads to the rotor surface.

During Steps 1 & 2, a de-gassing process occurs which may produce an odor coming from your pads as they complete the break-in cycle. This odor is normal and is part of the process your pads must go through to achieve their ultimate level of performance. The odor will go away after allowing your braking system to cool for approximately 30 minutes.

Even though they mention it in the descriptions to only slow to around the 10mph mark, never really "stop" despite the fact that word is sometimes used

More aggressive pads will require higher speeds to get them up to operating temp but what was posted above should work for you

I brake hard from 60 to 10 about 10 times, just make sure not to lock the brakes or kick on ABS. After going through this procedure, drive around for 10-20 minutes without using the brakes and then pull over for half an hour to let them cool. You should smell the brakes in this process after 5 or so repetitions, depending on the pads. This procedure is pretty standard across most manufacturers, some recommend a 2nd bedding process as well. Have fun!

I always make a half dozen stops from about 40-10 in order to heat cycle the brakes. This is what I do on every car I work on, the point is not to overheat the brakes just to get to get them hot. It doesn't have to be really hard braking, just use them enough to get them hot.