Talk to me about the Audi S5 Coupe

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

S5 is a great DD.

I know Kirk has a friend that's been through several winters with one and loves it.

S5 is one of the sexiest cars on the road, and if you want the V8 variant, is a "classic" sexy GT car. Add an exhaust and it's just an amazing sound and a rewarding drive.

That being said, some people do have carbon issues, a lot of which depends on how it was broken in, type of oil used, oil change interval, and most importantly, how the car is driven. The gently babied cars who were broken in softly, and get driven 2 miles back and forth to work tend to be the worst of the worst.

The cars that are given hell, but have solid 5K OCI are usually good. If the carbon buildup presents itself as a performance or driveability issue, audi will inspect and clean as necessary.

That being said, if you can live without the sound, the upcoming 3.0 S/C S5 is better at everything. Fuel economy is way up, no carbon issues to speak of, and can run low 12's with a flash & pulley. Same engine that's in the current S4, and it's a GEM.

If you want a GT car with classic V8 sound, the V8 S5 all the way. If you give the nod to performance, fuel economy, and reliability, the 2013+ 3.0 S/C S5 is the way to go.

S5 is a great DD.

I know Kirk has a friend that's been through several winters with one and loves it.

S5 is one of the sexiest cars on the road, and if you want the V8 variant, is a "classic" sexy GT car. Add an exhaust and it's just an amazing sound and a rewarding drive.

That being said, some people do have carbon issues, a lot of which depends on how it was broken in, type of oil used, oil change interval, and most importantly, how the car is driven. The gently babied cars who were broken in softly, and get driven 2 miles back and forth to work tend to be the worst of the worst.

The cars that are given hell, but have solid 5K OCI are usually good. If the carbon buildup presents itself as a performance or driveability issue, audi will inspect and clean as necessary.

That being said, if you can live without the sound, the upcoming 3.0 S/C S5 is better at everything. Fuel economy is way up, no carbon issues to speak of, and can run low 12's with a flash & pulley. Same engine that's in the current S4, and it's a GEM.

If you want a GT car with classic V8 sound, the V8 S5 all the way. If you give the nod to performance, fuel economy, and reliability, the 2013+ 3.0 S/C S5 is the way to go.

I don't really care about the sound all that much, but I do care about all the other stuff (e.g., reliability, etc.). Unfortunately, I likely will not be able to wait until the 2013's come out.

I don't really care about the sound all that much, but I do care about all the other stuff (e.g., reliability, etc.). Unfortunately, I likely will not be able to wait until the 2013's come out.

Do the V8 with the six-speed manual and be done with it.

Of course you would.

You have a thing for under - performing V8's that go brap brap brap. :dumb:

Read the rest of what I edited in. Even if the turbo 6 is "more reliable" I would hate every trip having to warm up and cool down the turbos. Can't just get in the car and go to the store gotta sit in the garage for a few minutes..

Read the rest of what I edited in. Even if the turbo 6 is "more reliable" I would hate every trip having to warm up and cool down the turbos. Can't just get in the car and go to the store gotta sit in the garage for a few minutes..

There are no turbo's you nimrod, it's supercharged. :dumb:

There are no turbos brah :dumb:

I'd rather have the V8 but that's me. I can't imagine a twin-turbo car being any more reliable than a non-turbo V8, and less expensive to maintain/fix. I don't know anything about Audis but that's always seemed the case across the board to me.

I remember when you were JDM Yo!

I would hate every trip having to warm up and cool down the turbos. Can't just get in the car and go to the store gotta sit in the garage for a few minutes..

Who does that with a modern turbo car? Most are oil and water cooled so the water continues to circulate and cool when you turn off the car. As for start up I start and go, I just don't floor it until the water temp is up, and I think that rule is for any car. I jump in and out every day.

Who does that with a modern turbo car? Most are oil and water cooled so the water continues to circulate and cool when you turn off the car. As for start up I start and go, I just don't floor it until the water temp is up, and I think that rule is for any car. I jump in and out every day.

Yup, like any car you just don't want to bang it off redline until it's up to temp.

Turbo, supercharged, anus charged, doesn't matter.

Be Audi made since 1987, have after-run coolant pump to prevent coking of turbo. I shudder every time I have to make boost before shit's warm though.