self directed IRA/401k

AWW$HEEET

I have a self directed roth 401k with the bank I work for. I just had to send in one form and now my contributions/match go into an account that I can do whatever I want with, basically. IMO this is the best option I've ever had for a retirement account.

I have a self directed roth 401k with the bank I work for. I just had to send in one form and now my contributions/match go into an account that I can do whatever I want with, basically. IMO this is the best option I've ever had for a retirement account.

What bank do you work for? I heard most banks don't like doing them.

I dont think you get it. This is a SELF DIRECTED IRA. I understand the differences between traditional and roth. This self directed vehicle is less common, banks dont like to do them, and you can deposit/withdraw money as needed for investments, without penalty.

I cannot find much info on them, thats why i posted here.

What bank do you work for? I heard most banks don't like doing them.

I work for Bank of Texas/BOK Financial. The way mine works is instead of going into one of the fund choices my contribution/match goes into a BOK brokerage account (cash equivilants) and I buy/sell/trade pretty much whatever stocks, bonds, etfs, funds, etc... that I want.

This is the first company I've worked for that let's me do it and I love it! I've always loved investing and it really bothers me to have to chose between the limited amount of funds available, pay high commissions, and they are so diverse it's hard to get ahead.

I work for Bank of Texas/BOK Financial. The way mine works is instead of going into one of the fund choices my contribution/match goes into a BOK brokerage account (cash equivilants) and I buy/sell/trade pretty much whatever stocks, bonds, etfs, funds, etc... that I want.

This is the first company I've worked for that let's me do it and I love it! I've always loved investing and it really bothers me to have to chose between the limited amount of funds available, pay high commissions, and they are so diverse it's hard to get ahead.

This is what I had thought self directed meant. How is the tax handled? Up front or at withdrawal or both?

This is what I had thought self directed meant. How is the tax handled? Up front or at withdrawal or both?

Tax is handled the same as with a regular 401K deduction. In my case the Roth just contributes after tax money so there is no difference. And since it's in a Roth account there is no tax from capital gains so that isn't a problem either. It really is the best retirement account option I've had.

Tax is handled the same as with a regular 401K deduction. In my case the Roth just contributes after tax money so there is no difference. And since it's in a Roth account there is no tax from capital gains so that isn't a problem either. It really is the best retirement account option I've had.

So wait, let me get this straight, if you do it as a roth, you aren't subject to short or longterm capital gains?

I saw that I could open them through my broker (scottrade), but haven't looked at them any more in years. My wife and I are getting to a point were we need to start putting money in more investment type accounts to reduce taxable income and have been going to look into reorganizing my business and maybe setting up some accounts through it as well.