Suggestions for new gun owner

Erica

So I have decided that it is time to buy a gun. I am looking to spend about $400-$600 on a handgun (I don't really know what things are going for these days). I would like something that I can learn to shoot with, I'm used to rifle shooting, but I want something that would offer protection if I should ever have to use it. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Go and handle every single one, to see which feels best. Then shoot all that feel good. Pick the one that does both best.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Best advice.

Its all personal preference on feel. Example, Glocks are so popular, yet I hated them, the handle was angled too much for me to handle comfortably.

Other brands/models too small, other too big, a few just right.

Go shoot the regulars, XD, M&P, Glock, LCP, pk380 etc.

I found the pk380 to be the best fit in my hand, loved the shoot too. I just sold it because I never used it. I will probably go M&P 9mm when I get my CC.

Trying out as many as you can and finding out for yourself what you prefer, is definitely the way to go. However, the intended purpose of the firearm is important too. For instance my Ruger LCP is fantastic for comfortable concealment if you plan on doing that. There are many ways to easily hide it whether you IWB, pocket-carry, whatever.

I wouldn't want to use the LCP as a home defense handgun. I'd want something with higher capacity, and in pretty much any other larger caliber. Nor is it a firearm I want to shoot often for fun shooting. I put a few mags through it at the range to stay familiar, then it goes back in the bag.

Kyle's list is a great start.

Love the smith and wesson M&P line of hand guns. I had a hard time deciding between the .45 and 9mm. I ended up getting the .45 because I knew I'd want it if I got the 9mm first.

Only downside is they are a little big for most people to want to carry concealed. I carry in an outside the waist ban holster and wear cloths that hide it well in cooler weather, but in summer I'll have to figure out some other way or get a pocket gun.

You should have came to NASR with Brittney and I last time we talked about it :p

Rent everything. Start small if but you don't have to. If my ex can shoot .500 S&W Magnum rounds without any issue so can you. For protection I would assume you are not talking about carrying since you are just starting out. I would buy a shotgun just for protecting your house. The caliber doesn't matter. Get a shotgun that you can hold comfortably without extending your arm until the elbow locks. If you have to get a smaller youth shotgun then so be it. Guns are tools make sure to get one that works best for you.

Educate yourself.

Learn your weapon.

Practice, practice, and practice.

Keep the end with the hole pointed downrange and away from people.

Don't buy something because it's "cute".

Name your firearm and love it.

Grandfather was a gun dealer...I know gun handeling

Grandfather was a gun dealer...I know gun handeling

You're ahead of the learning curve in a way. If you have smaller hands like my GF, check the subcompact market, IE M&P, Glock, Beretta, Sig (maybe out of range in price), Ruger etc... I guess a good way to start is if you prefer an automatic or a revolver. Start there, and head to the range for some palming and shooting. Most ranges are pretty empty during the weekdays.