New carry decisions

Murse

alright guys so im looking at getting a carry pistol. im trying to keep it under $500 too but i know some are more than that. heres what ive narrowed it down to based on hand fitment and such:

Springfield XDM 40 compact. (perfect with the extended mag)

Sig P250 (need to see how it feels with extended mag, ok without tho)

Sig P229 (my brother in law carries,equinox with wider grips, feels nice ive shot it plenty of times)

Glock 23 (ive shot but dont remember much, this is what my other brother in law carries)

also throwing around the Beretta storm (it felt nice and comfortable)

bonus to the Sigs is that you can get aftermarket grips. and i theme all my stuff to black and white, and hogues checkered aluminum is pretty slick looking. so i could in turn theme my sidearm as well! also they have a combo to where you can get the fullsize and compact together, since its the firing mechanism that has the serial it can be swapped.

glock and sig both have .22 conversion kits for those guns which is a bonus as well.

whatever i get will be a compact and fire .40. mainly because both brother in laws shoot .40 and we can all buy in bulk to get a discount online. i was undecided between 9mm and .40 but that kinda swayed the decision.

my number one choice right now is the XDM. so im really hoping its a dream to shoot as well.

i know i need to go shoot them all, which we are doing next week, but i would like to know what everyone opinion of them is. anyone have any first hand experience with all or any of them? know of any other pros and cons to any specific ones?

tia Josh

I haven't shot the Sigs. Between the XDM and G23 I would pick the glock. I have a g26 for carry and a g21 for the range. Glocks just work and fit perfect in my hand. I have never had any issues, jams, or misfires. I will say I am not the best gun cleaner but they both function without error every time. They are not for everyone and there is nothing wrong with that. Do what feels best in your hands.

Springfield XDM 40 compact

http://i39.tinypic.com/dmxxdw.jpg

Sig P250

http://i42.tinypic.com/34jel47.jpg

Sig P229

http://i39.tinypic.com/2qjm3nk.jpg

Glock 23

http://i42.tinypic.com/23wwvc.jpg

Beretta storm

http://i41.tinypic.com/2cmx9b4.jpg

also the grip

http://i42.tinypic.com/260vbl0.jpg

thanks eric, yeah it will ultimately come down to whatever feels best shooting but if 2 feel great i need a pro con ! also looking for info on things to watch for if buying used. because some of those that would be the only way i could get it, atleast sooner than later.

I have the XDM .40 compact and love the gun, the round might not be my favorite. Now that I've been shooting a lot more over the past year and learned more of the differences the 9mm round and .40 round differences are forgetable for sure. And to me .45 shoots better than the .40, for some reason the .40 round just seems 'snappy' to me. Idk how else to decide it.

But I will say without a doubt the XDM pistol is a great pistol and out of glocks and the like that I have held and shot the XDM is most comfortable in my hand and as far as reliability goes sure people use and abuse glocks much more than the springfield armory pistols, but when are you going to shoot 10-20,000 rounds through your gun and not clean it? The XDM will hold up to anything you throw at it 'within reason'.

I have the XDM .40 compact and love the gun, the round might not be my favorite. Now that I've been shooting a lot more over the past year and learned more of the differences the 9mm round and .40 round differences are forgetable for sure. And to me .45 shoots better than the .40, for some reason the .40 round just seems 'snappy' to me. Idk how else to decide it.

But I will say without a doubt the XDM pistol is a great pistol and out of glocks and the like that I have held and shot the XDM is most comfortable in my hand and as far as reliability goes sure people use and abuse glocks much more than the springfield armory pistols, but when are you going to shoot 10-20,000 rounds through your gun and not clean it? The XDM will hold up to anything you throw at it 'within reason'.

My reasoning is I want a gun that can go to hell and back and still work. I will accept nothing less for the value of my life. You probably have already seen this but in case no one else has google torture test glock 21.

http://theprepared.com/content/view/90//administrator/

Well my first vote would be for the xdm. I have one and its a great shot, however you cannot swap out the grip for a houge :(

I recently purchased a sig p250 for my father and took it to the range before it got wrapped and WOW way more accurrate with that than my xdm. The trigger pull is very long but you get used to it very quickly...very predictable I would say.

On the list to shoot is a Storm. They looks badace and very form fitted to ones hand...hmmm

I don't like glocks

Have you checked into a CZ?

@87gt thanks for the read, i hadnt read that, quite impressive. if i dont end up choosing one for my carry i will have one for if SHTF.

@motozachl it will ultimatly come donw to which one i can shoot best. no i havent heard or checked into CZ. ill look into that. any personal expierence?

My reasoning is I want a gun that can go to hell and back and still work. I will accept nothing less for the value of my life. You probably have already seen this but in case no one else has google torture test glock 21.

http://theprepared.com/content/view/90//administrator/

Then get a Glock because nothing else has been used and abuised as much as the glock brand.

Then get a Glock because nothing else has been used and abuised as much as the glock brand.

Just don't come to us crying when it makes funny wear marks and weird things start happening. It's a Glock, it's supposed to do that. Don't ask questions until it stops working.

The fact can't be denied that Glock is the most widely distributed and most reliabe handgun manufacturer in the world. With that being said...... There are definitely other good guns too. My experience would line the choices up as follows..

Glock or the P229 Tough choice as long as price isn't a factor.

XDm

Beretta This landed here simply because I have 0 experience with it.

I won't recommend the Sig P250 to anyone. I've shot several of the first run P250's in 9mm and 40S&W and those guns were terribly inaccurate. After shooting a mags worth of ammo I would pull the target in and see a pattern that resembled what a Tec-9 would leave at 50ft. 8in grouping at 15-20ft. It was so bad we had 4 people shoot a magazine of ammo out of the 40 compact and give us their opinion. Everyone had the same results and said the same thing. "Sig makes THIS?!?!" Even the salesman at Blackwing that day told us that the P250 is the 'Black sheep' of the Sig line. The P229 and P226 are two of the best shooting handguns I've ever shot. The P250 leaves a lot to be desired.

Again this was Spring/Summer 2011 so maybe by now Sig has fixed the issues with the pistol. Sounds like MotoZachl is having good luck with his.

Also to the folks that don't like Glocks.... Why? What is it about the Glocks you don't care for? (Not trying to bait someone into an argument, just curious)

Also to the folks that don't like Glocks.... Why? What is it about the Glocks you don't care for? (Not trying to bait someone into an argument, just curious)

-Excessive fanboism (you'll get that with any decent product).

-For fuck's sake, why can't they fix the .40 pistols? Seriously?

-If they didn't make the slide so blocky, homeboiz wouldn't keep shooting them sidewayz. You can't tell which way is up?!?

-They work entirely too good for how much they cost.

-Their magazines last too long.

-Their corrosion resistance is just ridiculous. Just rust already!

-Stealing customers from 1911 manufacturers.

I could go on.

-Excessive fanboism (you'll get that with any decent product).

-For fuck's sake, why can't they fix the .40 pistols? Seriously?

-If they didn't make the slide so blocky, homeboiz wouldn't keep shooting them sidewayz. You can't tell which way is up?!?

-They work entirely too good for how much they cost.

-Their magazines last too long.

-Their corrosion resistance is just ridiculous. Just rust already!

-Stealing customers from 1911 manufacturers.

I could go on.

Great points. I'm replacing my Glocks ASAP.

BTW Thanks for the chuckle..

I too have heard great things about the Ruger SR9C. A good friend I'm going shooting with next week has one he wants me to try out. He switched over from a Glock 23 he likes it so much so this gun is peaking my interest right now.

Spend $100 more and buy my M&P .40C :)

The slide release sucked ass! And It wasn't just that one specific one, I've messed with 3 and they were all the same. So just off that it was a no go. I want it to be comfortable.

The slide release sucked ass! And It wasn't just that one specific one, I've messed with 3 and they were all the same. So just off that it was a no go. I want it to be comfortable.

Then you probably won't like a glock slide-release either.

What didn't you like?

Hard to hit?

Too much tension?

In regard to the ruger, they haven't been making a decent semi-auto hand gun for long enough to trust them. I Don't doubt that the sr9c is a great gun but if you look at the brand and look at the others in question, there is no doubt your buying a gun from a company that has a good history of making great guns, not a few years of making a good gun

In regard to the ruger, they haven't been making a decent semi-auto hand gun for long enough to trust them. I Don't doubt that the sr9c is a great gun but if you look at the brand and look at the others in question, there is no doubt your buying a gun from a company that has a good history of making great guns, not a few years of making a good gun

This is a great point. I love Ruger and own many of them, but they have a wonderfully long history of being a little retarded. I am very happy with my 10/22, and 22/45 though. If you're worried about reputation you might want to research Sig, as their QC kinda went downhill awhile back. I don't know whether they've straightened their shit out or not.

Then you probably won't like a glock slide-release either.

What didn't you like?

Hard to hit?

Too much tension?

It was tough to just press down with only one hand on the gun, otherwise you had to pull the slide back just slightly to release it. It was also just a little too far forward on the slide. Now I know I could go in there and dremel and polish the release and it wouldn't be too much of an issue. Or maybe a skinnier grip under the beaver tail. But if I remember correctly the m&p doesnt have an extension for it either

I thought I had short fingers but I can hit mine very comfortably.You id try the different grip options right? Many of the M&Ps I have felt have been a little gritty out of the box. Nothing affecting function, and it smooths out with use.

Might want to look at a HK P30 as well.