Where to buy engagement ring

JZig06

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. Rule of thumb for what to spend on an engagement ring is two months gross salary.

If you make $100K a year - the example you used - then that would be roughly $8300 per month gross. So, $8300 + $8300 = a whole lot more than $2k.

I will be the guy that says +1

I didn't do quite that and based on a promised graduate student stipend not much but part of the reason the rule is based on salary is that it sometimes reflects on your socioeconomic class. Also because it is supposed to be a powerful indicator to a man of the commitment he is about to make- ie spend pocket change on a ring and he may think nothing of it. As few people are able to save 100% of their salary it will require more than 2 months of saving/thinking about the idea.

FWIW been married 10 years this july. I will say focus on cut or sparkle- I got a lot more value in doing that than the first time. Focusing on color and clarity is alright but how many people do you know walk around with pocket scopes to examine their fingers and color within reason is only apparent when two rings are next to each other. Carat is about first picking the impression you can afford/desire to make and avoiding the big integers... 1.0 costs a lot more than .94 and so on but only a jeweler could tell the difference if even then. Keep in mind it goes both ways- a huge ring in certain scenarios is more uncomfortable than a tiny one- IE walking around in areas where your wife's finger holds a down payment on the local houses- better have a concealed carry as well or both be able to run like trackstars A benefit of the 3 stone rings and solitaires is you can turn them around to conceal the stones if necessary or just for peace of mind. And yes- just like buying a car, price compare as many places you can and negotiate. Don't be intimidated by the glamour of the stores- they will respect you more even though they may not like it on their bottom line if you are an intelligent consumer.

Edited by hpfiend

I just skipped to the back and didnt read anything. Go to Bluenile.com You can pick out the diamond you want and have them mount is various ways. you can pick out each aspect of it. It is really a lot cheaper than going to a store.

they ship everything very securely. Comes in a great box and presentation.

I just skipped to the back and didnt read anything. Go to Bluenile.com You can pick out the diamond you want and have them mount is various ways. you can pick out each aspect of it. It is really a lot cheaper than going to a store.

they ship everything very securely. Comes in a great box and presentation.

I would never buy a diamond I can't touch or inspect. Plus, when it comes to routine cleanings, inspections or warrenty work who takes care of that?

Sean got mine at jared, we loved them, I didn't want a center stone, just a diamond band. All other places tried to push my into getting a stupid rock in the middle. They also custom made my wedding band. there prices are less then mall stores and they did great work on the set. I recommend buying the wedding band with the engagment ring so I know they will match.

??

I dont remember her spending anything lol.

Lol

Well no I didn't either but I'm making a point, this guy dosn't need to spend 10k on some thing thats going to sit on her finger! He can find something really nice for a decent price!

I forgot to mention but I bought mine at Leo Alfred Jewelers- they used to be off of frantz now they have their own place off of 161. My personal wedding band was under 75.00 IIRC- titanium when they first came out- lightweight and indestructible- they warned me that I would lose a finger before it would break/bend which sometimes worries me but even as soft as gold is I wonder if the same outcome would occur...

the cheap bastards in this thread make my lolz for the day. we can tell who has the models and the fatties. my sister used to be a district mang. at kay/jbr jewlers and i have learned a ton from her. tilly has it pretty much down, its not a neccisity, but for quality and size, you want to be between the $1200-3500 range for a good ring. you want her to be proud of it. you want her to show her peoples. if shes got somthing she cant show off then you may as well get a gum ball ring and tell her money isnt everything as you pour $ into your car that will lose vaule every day. good luck with your choice, i dread the day i have to send my sister a text telling her to get me a ring.

the cheap bastards in this thread make my lolz for the day. we can tell who has the models and the fatties. my sister used to be a district mang. at kay/jbr jewlers and i have learned a ton from her. tilly has it pretty much down, its not a neccisity, but for quality and size, you want to be between the $1200-3500 range for a good ring. you want her to be proud of it. you want her to show her peoples. if shes got somthing she cant show off then you may as well get a gum ball ring and tell her money isnt everything as you pour $ into your car that will lose vaule every day. good luck with your choice, i dread the day i have to send my sister a text telling her to get me a ring.

You're an idiot. High maintence women are for the birds, be a high maintence man, life will be better. My wife buys me stuff, not the other way around, fuck that noise.

DING DING DING.... The smile on her face everytime someone asks her about it was worth every penny.

You're an idiot. High maintence women are for the birds, be a high maintence man, life will be better. My wife buys me stuff, not the other way around, fuck that noise.

^^ This.

(And I cant stand fatties and am into rather attractive women, unfortunately most of them are high maintenance, I guess you could say im looking for a diamond in the rough.)

IRONY!!!!

I dont date high maintence woman but im not dating some craigslist critter either. i want someone i can take out in public and be proud of. i want a woman who wants to look her best whenever she is with me, i want somone who prides themself on their beauty inside and out. nothing is better than knowing you have the sexiest woman in the place.

IRONY!!!!

I dont date high maintence woman but im not dating some craigslist critter either. i want someone i can take out in public and be proud of. i want a woman who wants to look her best whenever she is with me, i want somone who prides themself on their beauty inside and out. nothing is better than knowing you have the sexiest woman in the place.

Holidays got you all emotional bruh, MAN UP!

IRONY!!!!

You want the sexiest woman in the place? You also like drama in your life.

HOW'S IT IRONY?? Have you seen how I dress and act? I know you have, my wife fits my life.

Irony would be your next post saying how you're not insecure when I tell you that needing a woman like that is like needing a loud car so everyone pays attention to you.

I went a little different route. I actually found one that I liked at an auction instead of buying a new one, its probably wont work for every women but my lady like the thought of "recycling" things. Got it for a good price for a platinum band and appraised for twice what I paid for it. However we did have to pay to have a custom wedding band made to fit the ring properly which, being that its platinum as well, was not cheap.

I went a little different route. I actually found one that I liked at an auction instead of buying a new one, its probably wont work for every women but my lady like the thought of "recycling" things. Got it for a good price for a platinum band and appraised for twice what I paid for it. However we did have to pay to have a custom wedding band made to fit the ring properly which, being that its platinum as well, was not cheap.

Thats for damn sure!

You want the sexiest woman in the place? You also like drama in your life.

HOW'S IT IRONY?? Have you seen how I dress and act? I know you have, my wife fits my life.

Irony would be your next post saying how you're not insecure when I tell you that needing a woman like that is like needing a loud car so everyone pays attention to you.

how is a sexy woman = drama? maybe your choices in " good looking woman" were bad choices and were filled with drama. i have seen how you dress and act, hints why your post about buying your wife a rubber band for a ring doesnt suprise me. glad your wife fits your life, why are you so mad that people want to give their woman something worth as much as your rear end in your car pisses you off is beyond me. you spent more on your transmission than you would for a life long item for the person you love and care for. maybe we arnt dumb, we just vaule our woman more than cars. YOUR CAMARO WILL NEVER BLOW YOU!!!!!