Ecoboost F150's...anybody done a real build?

RC K9

Have any of the shops on here, or individuals for that matter played with the new Ecoboost F150's? I don't care about the SHO Taurus as there are a lot of differences between the two different motor platforms, I want to know F150 specifically. I am trying to get an idea of what these things are capable of.

I know someone that owns one and he likes it alot.

but I think once they get them tuned and turn the boost up, they will have motor issues..

Not so... When I went through training from Ford on these the transmissions would grenade when cranked to full potential... They are great trucks though.

but I think once they get them tuned and turn the boost up, they will have motor issues..

The fact that you aren't aware that atleast two companies have already cracked the ECU pretty much sums up the value of your opinion on the subject.

KEM and Fastlane have already done it. From what I've heard they are still working on reprogramming the tranny. I haven't seen hard fact on performance gains, but heard tell of +90rwhp

Check out svtperformance for updates. There are a lot of in the loop guys on that site.

Check out Fastlane....they are making some great power with just basics. Still a lot of learning but they should run pretty good. Everyone is afraid of the trans but someone said they are similar to the Mustang's that are running 9's on the OEM tranny so take that for what it's worth.

If I could get the Harley truck with the EcoBoost, I'd buy one...

Stock, their slow from a roll on the highway and must have a pretty low speed limiter as I've run one and either he plain shut down every time or hit the limiter he didn't know he had :) Very nice trucks though. I'd own one for sure. Ford is really coming a long way interior wise.

Thank you expert. I'm not a ford guy. So I could give 2 shits less about it. I still stand on my word that they will have motor issues when the boost is cranked.

I will let my buddy know that they do make tuners for it.

The fact that you aren't aware that atleast two companies have already cracked the ECU pretty much sums up the value of your opinion on the subject.

KEM and Fastlane have already done it. From what I've heard they are still working on reprogramming the tranny. I haven't seen hard fact on performance gains, but heard tell of +90rwhp

Check out svtperformance for updates. There are a lot of in the loop guys on that site.

Thank you expert. I'm not a ford guy. So I could give 2 shits less about it. I still stand on my word that they will have motor issues when the boost is cranked.

I will let my buddy know that they do make tuners for it.

Any more will have issues with more boost added. That's the name of the game

Stock, their slow from a roll on the highway and must have a pretty low speed limiter as I've run one and either he plain shut down every time or hit the limiter he didn't know he had :) Very nice trucks though. I'd own one for sure. Ford is really coming a long way interior wise.

The trucks are limited BIG time in the tune. A friend of mine has been logging his at the track and the truck is only 100% throttle for a split second and then is retarded to around 60% from there on out. The faster you go, the more boost is reduced. Ford has really cut the nuts off of them from the factory...

Than you for sharing that wealth of factual knowledge. Care to cite what research this fact is based on?

Never said it was factual knowledge. Like 99% of CR most people put their .02 cents in..

Its common sense, any turbo charged car with the boost turned up will eventually have issues unless you upgrade other parts. They are already starting to have a ton of issues with the trans..

The ford is a V6 turbo, I have a pretty good feeling when people start modding these (Thinking they are diesels and they can just crank the shit out of the boost) They will start blowing motors..

Maybe they wont, maybe ford actually built a decent engine for once. :dumb:

Than you for sharing that wealth of factual knowledge. Care to cite what research this fact is based on?

Back on topic here is some info from my bud Alan back in August...

stock FX2 w/ 3.55s and stock 20" wheels/pirellis ran a best (only one) 14.88@92.87 mph w/ 2.12 60'.

The air was horrible, it was around 90*, 67% humidity. DA was +2313. I think in some good winter air it should be able to go 14.60s....thats before the mods begin......Keep in mind this is a 5800lb truck....Not too shabby..

I logged some.... Basically when the pedal hits the floor, the ECU is showing 74% throttle, as RPMS climb, throttle % drops.....by 4500 rpms the TP is down to 62%. Boost also drops as rpms climb, then after a shift the boost jumps back up to 15 psi or so, then starts to drop again as rpms climb....it does this in every gear... Another mention is the timing advance....it starts around 32* and as soon as it starts making boost, timing drops likes stone down to around 5-7* at redline.

So yes, once you can get the throttle % to stay 100% open, get the boost stable at 15 psi (or maybe a bit more... http://www.motohouston.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif ) and hold on to red line..... lastly some timing adjustments, I think there will be a TON of power to be gain..... I can reaslistically see 50-75 rwhp from the tune alone....not to mention better transmission action etc..... We should be able to knock .5 off ET and gain 3-4 mph with tuning alone..... I'm hoping so anyway..

Watch the boost between shifts...

Here is the old FASTLANE info, should be more updates now...

http://www.f150forum.com/f70/2011-tuned-ecoboost-dyno-video-110136/