Need help/advice from car guys...

HotCarl

Ok, early in November my mother had a stroke. It was pretty devastating for the whole family but thankfully she's recovering fairly well, just slow. Since then the family has taken over most of her financial responsibilities. Well we've come to a cross roads where we have to sell off whatever assets she may own, which includes (this is where CR comes in) her new 2010 Nissan Murano that has 15k miles on it.

I looked up KBB and its worth $29,700ish (she purchased it for $37k-ish). Now I dont think she'll be able to sell it for that, or even 28k. But in the next few weeks shes going to need the funds from the sale to pay bills until shes done with her physical and occupational therapy. The first thing i suggested was post it for 28k on autotrader and wait for lowballers, have a firm low price in mind (im thinking 26k?) but if it doesnt move fast enough we could take it to CarMax and see what they would offer for it. Ive never dealt with carmax but from hearing members here they always lowball (which is understandable b/c they have to maximize their own profit) so we're trying to put that off to get the most money possible.

Does anyone know of any other places beside the two i mentioned that would purchase a new/newer car? Maybe other Nissan dealerships that would offer to purchase it if they do that sort of thing? Or maybe have a realistic outlook on what its worth besides what i mentioned? As far as the car itself its in mint condition and since my mom worked from home or at a site where a rental was supplied for her she never drove the thing. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Never hurts to call dealerships and ask. And if those bills need paid soon, I'd worry more about it going fast and easy than getting top dollar for it, unless there's also a big loan that needs paid off

No loan, she owns it outright. And the most immediate bills wouldnt need to be taken care of until late jan/early Feb so we have about a month.

I sold my Accord to Jeff Wyler Chevrolet (old Bob McDorman) for 10% more than the CarMax offer. Straight sale - traded the title for a check. I've purchased from them in the past (9 months ago the latest time) and worked with my sales rep for the purchase. Kelsey Crenshaw is his name and it was a fairly easy process. CarMax gave me a take it or leave it #. With Jeff Wyler Chevy, it was a negotiation like buying a car (backwards). I don't think you will get 'retail' price, but should be able to get trade-in value no problem. Not knowing the trim level and options - your $26k # looks in the ballpark. (I looked KBB value for several models/optino combos)

Good luck with your sale!

I would take it to carmax and get a number. Then maybe take it back to the dealer she bought it from and see what they will give. From that point you have 2 solid offers on the table that would be a "money now" scenario. THEN try to put it on Autotrader and see what you get in response. If you have no bites in what you would consider a reasonable amount of time and the money is needed you would then resort to "plan B".

I would take it to carmax and get a number. Then maybe take it back to the dealer she bought it from and see what they will give. From that point you have 2 solid offers on the table that would be a "money now" scenario. THEN try to put it on Autotrader and see what you get in response. If you have no bites in what you would consider a reasonable amount of time and the money is needed you would then resort to "plan B".

I would do this as well and good luck hope she recovers quickly.

As others have said the only way for a quick sell is to go to places like Carmax. The only saving grace is that she owns it outright. Hope all goes well, and don't be surprised when they offer you $20k.

best wishes for your Mom's recovery.

Definitely call around to Nissan dealers. Its likely that one of their salesmen could have a customer looking for a particular car, or a particular deal (i.e. I need a 2008 or newer Murano with under 20k miles and the customer can pay this much). With that in mind, they'll care less about making a huge profit than they will getting a sale. Hell try calling around today; I'm at work right now trying to finish off my year strong.

I sold my Accord to Jeff Wyler Chevrolet (old Bob McDorman) for 10% more than the CarMax offer. Straight sale - traded the title for a check. I've purchased from them in the past (9 months ago the latest time) and worked with my sales rep for the purchase. Kelsey Crenshaw is his name and it was a fairly easy process. CarMax gave me a take it or leave it #. With Jeff Wyler Chevy, it was a negotiation like buying a car (backwards). I don't think you will get 'retail' price, but should be able to get trade-in value no problem. Not knowing the trim level and options - your $26k # looks in the ballpark. (I looked KBB value for several models/optino combos)

Good luck with your sale!

As far as trim options its loaded SE ( i think?) model. The only thing it doesnt have is navi. Leather seats, dual moon roofs, 4wd, auto, sattelite radio etc... I told her not to be surprised if CarMax lowballs at 20-25k b/c they're just gonna do that. But wasnt sure what other options would be.

As far as trim options its loaded SE ( i think?) model. The only thing it doesnt have is navi. Leather seats, dual moon roofs, 4wd, auto, sattelite radio etc... I told her not to be surprised if CarMax lowballs at 20-25k b/c they're just gonna do that. But wasnt sure what other options would be.

I've got no tie to this dealer and get nothing if you sell it to them.

Call Jeff Wyler Chevrolet (614-321-3179) and speak with Kelsey Crenshaw. (Won't do you any good, but you can tell him Matt Downing *Sold them the 06 Accord V6/6Speed passed his name on to you)

It may take a little negotiation, but I'd guess you should be able to get close to the # you're looking for. Don't discount CarMax either... If they have 20 of those on the lots, your offer will be low. If they don't have many of them in inventory (you can check this), your offer will be better.

Good luck! Let us all know how it goes!