Cleetus - need paint advice

zeitgeist57

So...over the Christmas break I spent WAAAAY too much time on fantasizing about the paint job for my '82 Ford project. Typical Clay: planning for step 5 when I'm stuck on step 2 with no engine or transmission yet! Call me visionary...

But, I'd love to post a poll for CR's opinion on what to paint it in the early spring. Stock color is red with red vinyl interior with white steel wheels and silver bumpers/accents. The paint is faded with some spots of rust (which I'll repair), and for a $1k truck I am not wanting to do a ton of body work when additional rust repair will likely pop up in the next 2-3 years. Cheap paint job (Rustoleum? Summit single-stage urethane?) is in order. I will do the necessary prep work to get the surface as smooth as I can, and fix a few dents along the way, followed by a primer as necessary. Color choices?

1) Rustoleum red with white wheels

2) "rat rod" matte black/gray with red wheels

3) Epoxy primer, then different top coat altogether

4) Leave it rusted-and-busted.

5) Farkas "dub-style": de-arched rear leaf springs, cut front springs, white body paint with rusted red hood, neon-green stock steel wheels with no hubcaps. :)

My skin is thick, and this is my hobby truck so fire away. Also, feel free to Photoshop below. Thanks!

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=669&pictureid=5384

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=669&pictureid=5383

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=669&pictureid=5382

I would keep the rusted and busted look to it, but I would fix any rust and keep it from degrading further. Maintain it as a solid platform for the next owner, or if you decide to customize it later you won't need to do a crap load of rehab. Mechanically good, structurally good, cosmetically ......

I'd give it a more budget friendly "in progress" look. Leave the body alone, but give the wheels a fresh coat of white with some new white letter tires, then polish up the center caps and front bumper/grille then repaint the rear bumper silver. If the center caps can't be saved I'd just paint them with the same silver you use on the rear bumper. A slight drop would look good and make it easier to load/unload things.

I think if you're not going to go all out (which I would not suggest with that truck lol) then its best just to restore it back to oem. I think repairing and repainting the whole truck would just be throwing money down the drain if you don't intend to keep it for a long time.

Let me backtrack on my zealousness...most of my research involved looking at instructables.com, rickwrench.com, HOT ROD Magazine, etc... on "cheap" paint jobs. Roll-on Rustoleum paint jobs and the like that are so popular on the web these days. Spending $200 or less on a 10-20ft paint job.

At the bare minimum, I will clean up/paint the bumpers and wheels. The hubcaps are straight but too much surface corrosion to polish...and I'm not paying someone $30 an hour for polishing or spending money on new hubcaps. Painting will be the way to go. I already removed the front bumper by cutting the bolts, just because I knew that I would at least sand/paint the frame to keep the surface rust from getting worse. The truck is SOLID overall...minimal rust-through on the bed floor and a pinhole on the hood. That's it.

Hobby truck: looking to experiment with welding in new bolts for front bumper and cutting/smoothing the front bumper. Trying my hand in filling/painting rearview mirror holes. This is the truck to do it on, which is why I bought it. I'm not experimenting on my Passat or Odyssey DDs. :fuckthat: Plus, Cleetus (Chevy Diesel) is too straight - with minimal blemishes - to "experiment" on.

EDIT: If I keep it "Rusted-and-busted", I need to deal with holes in the door from the rearview mirrrors. Weld, fill, and primer? Patch paint the primer with red paint?

weld and fill mirror holes, slight drop to aid in load/unload and rid some of the monster gap in the wheel wells, primer black with a nice wet sand, gloss red wheels and cheepo center cap/beauty rings.

also, look into a grill for it. I forget which years (newer then yours i believe) they used the FORD on the hood and no blue oval in the grill. should be a cheap junkyard/jcwhitney find.

Respray it the stock color, so you dont need to respray door jams/etc. Look into Napa Martin Seymour paints, it is cheaper than the other brands and is it pretty good quaility.