Little help on RX8

Mace1647545504

Been looking since I sold m 350 and have always like the RX s. Been looking at the 8s.

What should I be looking for?

I know it has the rotary engine and they don't get great mpgs, but mechanically what should I be looking for and what should I avoid?

Thanks in advance

mace

Compression check compression check and compression check. NA rotaties can be very reliable just check for carbon build up. That will cause stuck seals and low to no compression. But over all rx8's are a blast to drive they are underpowered but really wake up in the corners I'm in the process of rebuilding my 04 right now bought it for 3k well worth it.

Make sure you live near a mazda dealer. I know a few folks with RX-8's and none of their motors lasted past 100k. I agree N/A rotaries (in 1st and 2nd gen RX-7s can be reliable), but these aren't the case. Wasn't there some huge class action lawsuit or something?

Make sure you live near a mazda dealer. I know a few folks with RX-8's and none of their motors lasted past 100k. I agree N/A rotaries (in 1st and 2nd gen RX-7s can be reliable), but these aren't the case. Wasn't there some huge class action lawsuit or something?

I've seen plenty over 100k the problem is carbon build up. People babied them causing stuck seals. I've worked on some where people thought that had a blown motor. Where some marvels mystery oil and some redlining results in good compression

I've seen plenty over 100k the problem is carbon build up. People babied them causing stuck seals. I've worked on some where people thought that had a blown motor. Where some marvels mystery oil and some redlining results in good compression

Since my old toyota dealer used to be a mazda dealer we still had rx-8's come in all the time with issues.

And it typically always boiled down to the owners not driving them hard enough.

Bad cold starts, and tow ins because they shut the car off without taking the RPMS to about 2k to get the fuel out

Not driving them hard enough, I like that!!!!!!!!

The bad starts/shut offs sounds like a turbo

mace

Since my old toyota dealer used to be a mazda dealer we still had rx-8's come in all the time with issues.

And it typically always boiled down to the owners not driving them hard enough.

Bad cold starts, and tow ins because they shut the car off without taking the RPMS to about 2k to get the fuel out

Yes also forgot to add they dump fuel on cold starts to help heat the cats up if shut off before warm they will likely flood due to unburnt fuel sitting in the housings. And when started again they flood. Also speeding up the carbon build up process. But driving them hard is fun hitting 9k is a blast and IMO they sound great with an intake and catback

Small engine rwd 2 seater...

Why aren't you looking for an S2000?

This is true s2000's cost more though wile amazing to drive they have no space for anything. Don't get me wrong they are almost perfect FR car just not a very good everyday car. Unless it's a hard top I love me some hardtop s2k action :masturboy:

if you get one just make sure you run it hard, the carbon build up is a common issue, if it does lose compression due to carbon build up, i have heard putting about an ounce of tranny fluid on each side of each rotor and cranking it with the ecu fuse pulled for a bit will restore some lost compression, and because its a detergent lubricant it also gets the seals unstuck... also the cold start thing i have heard of people having an issue with as well

if you get one just make sure you run it hard, the carbon build up is a common issue, if it does lose compression due to carbon build up, i have heard putting about an ounce of tranny fluid on each side of each rotor and cranking it with the ecu fuse pulled for a bit will restore some lost compression, and because its a detergent lubricant it also gets the seals unstuck... also the cold start thing i have heard of people having an issue with as well

I think you mean EGI relay ;) lol but ATF also works if you get one ill gladly give it a once over for you!

That sounds great if you want to have to remember to rev your car every time you shut it down to make sure you don't flood it, and then stand on one foot and scratch your back at the same time, then do a rain dance.

I remember with the rotary I had put a switch to the fuel pump in the dash so I could un flood it without having to get out of the car.

The carbon build up sounds like the same issues we had, didn't realize it was still due to that. Aren't there ignition coil issues to?

Either way, your money, have fun.

RX8s are fine cars. Do research, don't listen to every ignorant person you come across, do research, learn how to properly drive and maintain a rotary, do research, find one previously well maintained and you will be just fine. Have fun in the corners too.

i might argue the subaru reliebility factor....

but we seem to be talking used cars. I mean the BRZ would be a contender if we are talking the 20,000 plus price points, but i have seen Rx8s auctioned for less than 5000.

Small engine rwd 2 seater...

Why aren't you looking for an S2000?

Except the RX8 seats 4 and has extra doors, making it easier to get a child seat in and out of. If he has a kid he can't drive an S2k or a Z06. (One of the reasons I was looking at them too)