Tire/rim, audi, awd guys

wnaplay1647545503

Car is a 98 audi a4 with s4 rims. Bought it in August and immediately all 4 rims were leaking around the beads and the drivers front had a bubble on the sidewall from I assume a curb. The rear tires have 1/2 tread left the fronts have 1/4 tread left. I went in to get 2 new tires to replace the fronts and was warned I would almost immediately blow the tranny due to different tread heights. In lieu of this I just had the tires taken off, the bead grinded and then reinstalled. They wouldnt do the drivers front due to the bubble. So a week later the passenger front is leaking worse than ever and the drivers front continues to leak as usual. I take the passenger side back and say try again, they get it off and now they wouldnt remount due to damage inside from driving low and they throw on a used tire to get me on my way. I planned on replacing all 4 today but I figure whats the point if they are going to leak.

Questions

1. will I blow the tranny on this thing if I only replace the worse 2(front)

2. the back 2 have held air since having them sealed, should I try it again and potentially destroy brand new tires if they leak again and I ride low on air

I know I should replace the rims but dont have the money for new tires and rims right now. I have had other domestic awd vehicles and never had an issue with replacing 2 at a time. I guess I could look for a used set of rims with decent tires on them holding air.

A couple things.

How much are you going to spend on tires? You can get tires on forums cheap, and also wheel /tire takeoffs, etc for great prices on model specific forums.

As far as having 2 new and 2 1/2 tread on quattro, you will be fine.

Check out vwvortex wheel and tire thread, audizine quattroworld etc

I was told by Subaru they need to be within 2/32 for Subaru. FYI you can by tires from tire rack and have them shaved to the depth you want. Nobody local would do this. Sucks you take useable rubber off, but we did it with my wife's WRX because the new tires we had on the car had one get a bubble when only 1/32 was used. So we paid the extra $25 to make it match the rest.

I'm a tire guy that gets free flat repairs and can grind my shit as often as id like... That being said I just bought a used grand cherokee, the rims are peeling like hell and my new rims showed up today.. its not worth screwing up good tires on junk rims

Summer wheels in winter not a good idea unless they have good all seasons on them. Maybe look at a place you can get a instore card and pay over a year or something. Don't cheap out on tires since they are the only thing that touch the ground. Like everyone has said keep them with in 2/32nd of the others, or you could put stress on the trans. You might not blow it up, but it will stress it more then you should be doing.

I'm a tire guy that gets free flat repairs and can grind my shit as often as id like... That being said I just bought a used grand cherokee, the rims are peeling like hell and my new rims showed up today.. its not worth screwing up good tires on junk rims

:no:

So I have someone offering me a set of blizzaks for $20, used one season. It doesnt look like its going to snow much this year but if I put them on just for the sake of getting better tires on there, whats the downside of winter tires year round?

You mean $200? They'll wear pretty fast.

• 2 weeks later...