Detailing Questions

Gergwheel1647545492

I need recommendations on detailing products, what buffer? what polishing compound? what wax? I have some nasty swirl marks that i need to get rid of and i have never waxed the car in the 1.5 years i have owned it.

I thought there was a detailing forum somewhere here, but i can't find it. if there is one please move it for me.

kthxbye

Portor cable has some of the best buffers I hear from every forum. I just won a thing of nice waxes and polish from detailersdomain with 1z waxes. I also have a 3M compound for deep stuff. Ask Andy for all the good stuff.

Alright. Where do I start?

What do you want to achieve, total swirl correction? How much money are you going to spend?

Since you only asked for polishes, and waxes...etc. I'll only recommend those things.

Meguiars M105/205 is the combo to beat right now. I used it on my car as well:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99137

Anyways, I'd start out with that. Menzerna is another awesome polish that I've owned and used, but you usually need to require 3 polishes to finish to a level comparable to Meguiars.

Porter Cable 7424 is where you need to start. I'd go with the LCC Hydropads, as they are meant to work with the Meguiars polishes (and other liquid based ones).

I'd say you really need at least 3 of the Cyan and Tangerine pads, any less and you might be pushing the pad limits (aka the pad gets clogged with polish, and needs to be cleaned after use).

For wax, you have a wide range of options. I'm a Dodo Juice whore, but with that being said, their wax costs $70. For someone starting out, I'd look at Poorboys. Their natty wax is pretty good for the price.

Let me know if you need more detailed answers.

I need a Small Electric rotary polisher to replace my Air polisher. I have a Full Size Dewalt with Electronic speed control but I need like a 3'' Polisher for smaller painted I do. I was considering trying a 7424 just to see how it works, but Id prefer a rotory not an orbital....Anyone know of an Electric Rotary in the 3'' size or adaptable to 3''?

I need a Small Electric rotary polisher to replace my Air polisher. I have a Full Size Dewalt with Electronic speed control but I need like a 3'' Polisher for smaller painted I do. I was considering trying a 7424 just to see how it works, but Id prefer a rotory not an orbital....Anyone know of an Electric Rotary in the 3'' size or adaptable to 3''?

I run a Makita 9227c Rotary as my main. You can attach any rotary backing plate, this is what I use: http://www.detailedimage.com/Meguiars-M43/Solo-Easy-Buff-Rotary-Backing-Plate-W66-P397/575-S1/

With that being said, you can easily run a 3" http://www.autogeek.net/flex-backing-plate.html

Problem with attaching that small plate to a full size rotary still doesnt work, you cant get it in places I can get my handheld air polisher. The attachment you sowed me is basically what I have on a 2500 RPK right hand (single Hand Operation) air polisher....But its a complete Air Hog and even my 60Gallon Compressor struggles to keep up with it. I need something the size of the 7424 or smaller with that 3'' backer. How about now....got any ideas?

Problem with attaching that small plate to a full size rotary still doesnt work, you cant get it in places I can get my handheld air polisher. The attachment you sowed me is basically what I have on a 2500 RPK right hand (single Hand Operation) air polisher....But its a complete Air Hog and even my 60Gallon Compressor struggles to keep up with it. I need something the size of the 7424 or smaller with that 3'' backer. How about now....got any ideas?

I gotcha now, for some reason I though you had an attached back-plate.

If you don't mind running compressed air, give this a shot. No first hand experience though:

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-rotary-air-tool.html

^^ (There is a DA version of that as well)

If not, Griots has a small 3" DA.

http://www.autogeek.net/griots-orbital-polisher.html

The First link is what I have now.....I am trying to get away from the Air. The Second would be perfect....If it WERENT an orbital....I just want a rotary polisher. However, I have an idea of where to look a bit further now with those sites, I had no idea about them.

Thanks

The First link is what I have now.....I am trying to get away from the Air. The Second would be perfect....If it WERENT an orbital....I just want a rotary polisher. However, I have an idea of where to look a bit further now with those sites, I had no idea about them.

Thanks

Autogeek.net and Detailedimage.com is what I use for everything.

good luck searching, sorry I couldn't be of better assistance.

Couple of thoughts from my end.

Kyle is correct, it's extremely hard to beat the performance of Meguiars M105/M205 combo. You can generally get the results you want in two polishing stages intead of 3. Doesn't mean you won't still need multiple passes with M105 on a cutting pad esp with an orbital but you'll eventually get the job done. M105 can be finiky, it has a bit of a learning curve because it flashes soo quickly. Once you learn how to use it though it's a really great product. Be prepared for TONS of dusting though with it.

As others have stated start out with orbital only. They're almost completely safe you have to really try to mess something up with an orbital. Porter Cable 7424 is the industry standard but to be honest I"m done with them. My first Porter Cable lasted me years, I've yet to get one in the last 5 years that made it more than a single year before something went wrong and it needed to be re-built. You can have them completely refurbed for like $80 but I'm literally rebuilding them once a year at this rate. Griots Garage released a polisher last year that is not only more powerful than the Porter Cable but it comes with a lifetime warranty, has a soft start feaure that is also really nice and I believe is the same price as the porter cable as well. I picked one up and intend on gradually phasing out all of my PC's as they die with the new Griots units. My only complaint is the GG comes with a 6" backing plate and I personally think you need to use a 5" plate with 5.5" pads to get the maximum performance out of an orbital.

ForcedFed: What you need is extensions for your full size rotary and then a 3" backing plate and 3.5" or 4" pads. You can find the extensions here, they are cheap but you'll probably want like 3 of them to insure you can really get into those tight spaces, it makes the machine much more difficult to control with that much leverage but it's really the easiest way to get into those tight spots effectively. I keep one orbital with a dedicated 3" backing plate at all times but sometimes there's no substitute for getting a rotary in those tight spaces.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/1400.html

Those would Be sweet, but I'm still not making what I'm doing clear. I'm working on small, like motorcycle and add I'd parts that aren't attached to anything....I have to have one hand free to hold and manipulate the part and the other to operate the rotary. Hence why I need small, not just 3" and why I've always used the air polisher. I'm just looking to replace it with an electric replacement. Holding a full size with extensions or just even a 3" backer isn't gonna get it. I primarily use this after wet sanding parts to get my paint gloss back. This is all used on fresh paint.

Those would Be sweet, but I'm still not making what I'm doing clear. I'm working on small, like motorcycle and add I'd parts that aren't attached to anything....I have to have one hand free to hold and manipulate the part and the other to operate the rotary. Hence why I need small, not just 3" and why I've always used the air polisher. I'm just looking to replace it with an electric replacement. Holding a full size with extensions or just even a 3" backer isn't gonna get it. I primarily use this after wet sanding parts to get my paint gloss back. This is all used on fresh paint.

So this is still too big?

3 inch

Couple of thoughts from my end.

Kyle is correct, it's extremely hard to beat the performance of Meguiars M105/M205 combo. You can generally get the results you want in two polishing stages intead of 3. Doesn't mean you won't still need multiple passes with M105 on a cutting pad esp with an orbital but you'll eventually get the job done. M105 can be finiky, it has a bit of a learning curve because it flashes soo quickly. Once you learn how to use it though it's a really great product. Be prepared for TONS of dusting though with it.

If any user can learn the Kevin Brown Method with M105 then they will be golden in terms of manipulating and learning M105.

And yes, it dusts sooo much.