Cam upgrade LS1

BrendanB

If you are going to put a cam in the car don't waste your money with a small cam. Go BIG or go the fuck home. When I did a H/C package on my car I picked up 110 rwhp.

PM me the specs if you don't mind. I won't tell a soul, just trying to get some ideas :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going to put a cam in the car don't waste your money with a small cam. Go BIG or go the fuck home. When I did a H/C package on my car I picked up 110 rwhp.

How much did you spend for that power? I still have payments for classes, insurance, gas, etc lol, I'll save all summer but doubt I'll have more than 2k roughly to blow on a cam and supporting mods

Check to see if the "Free mods" are done. Buy an SLP lid off flea bay (EBay) K&N drop in filter. Buy a good set of long tubes ory and cat back 2.75 inches or have a shop weld you up a true dual 2.5 inch exhaust. You have a 00' with an Ls1 intake. Grab a used Ls6 intake or the FAST intake. Grab a tune and see how u like it from there. If I'm not mistaken you'd put down around 340whp or more.

Anyone?

If it is stronger it's not by much, its likely that GM replaced the LS1 chain with it so thats all they'll sell you, but don't quote me on that. Just remember when using a GM chain the cam and crank gears are sold seperate and it would be stupid to not get them. IMHO most street cars with a fairly "normal" or "streetable" cam only need an LS2 chain or a single roller. I use the term streetable loosly, but if the cam only needs a basic off the shelf valvespring like a Patriot Gold spring it's all I would run. I wouldn't have wasted the money and effort to put a double roller in my motor if I was going to build it again.

Check to see if the "Free mods" are done. Buy an SLP lid off flea bay (EBay) K&N drop in filter. Buy a good set of long tubes ory and cat back 2.75 inches or have a shop weld you up a true dual 2.5 inch exhaust. You have a 00' with an Ls1 intake. Grab a used Ls6 intake or the FAST intake. Grab a tune and see how u like it from there. If I'm not mistaken you'd put down around 340whp or more.

This definitely seems much cheaper, and puts out the power I'd ideally be looking for at the moment, so I'll do this. How cheap can you get the FAST or LS6 intake? How much does it cost usually to have a shop do 2.5' true duals would you assume? I definitely like the idea of those.

This definitely seems much cheaper, and puts out the power I'd ideally be looking for at the moment, so I'll do this. How cheap can you get the FAST or LS6 intake? How much does it cost usually to have a shop do 2.5' true duals would you assume? I definitely like the idea of those.

FAST intakes always seemed expensive when I saw them, new or used. Get a used LS6 intake, cheap.

LS6 intake: http://sdparts.com/taxonomy/term/10639/all

Duals: http://www.texas-speed.com/c-137-true-dual-exhaust-systems.aspx

Might as well get some longtubes too.

FAST intakes always seemed expensive when I saw them, new or used. Get a used LS6 intake, cheap.

LS6 intake: http://sdparts.com/taxonomy/term/10639/all

Duals: http://www.texas-speed.com/c-137-true-dual-exhaust-systems.aspx

Might as well get some longtubes too.

Will it be cheapest to get headers/true duals both installed at the same time, or separately? Car currently has high flow cats, would it increase performance to drop them?

Will it be cheapest to get headers/true duals both installed at the same time, or separately? Car currently has high flow cats, would it increase performance to drop them?

High flow/removing the cats adds about a solid 2 HP. But the purchase of long tubes nullifys the stock cats with the ORY (Off road Y Pipe) which has no cats. But if u were doing the true duals, you wouldn't need an ORY. basically if I had the money to mod my car I would buy (in no particular order) LS6 intake. Longtubes and a desired exhaust system Like an SLP dual dual or loudmouth. Put the mods on all at once and go grab a tune. Talk about power you would notice. These mods are all supporting mods for a heads, cam setup.

The factory manifold system is very restrictive you Maysee 20whp from Longtubes and ORY and cat back alone. Find out what the muffler is. It may be little to no improvement from the factory muffler. Unless they increased the piping size

Longtubes, ORY, electric cutout. You'll make more power with a cutout and spend less money than any exhaust system. Win win. Longtubes and ORY are an easy 20whp gain. With a lid, ported TB, LS6 intake, longtubes/cutout and a tune, you'll make 350+ at the wheels without a doubt

I have a FAST 90mm intake with throttle body you could buy. It's pricey as I want $1200 for the setup as it also comes with the IAC and TPS. I also have a Weiand intake with a BBK 80mm throttle body I'm selling for a more affordable $600. Which ever one sells I will put the other on my car. Also, I have a set of Pacesetter ceramic coated headers for sale. The ceramic is pealing and they are installed, however, they have never seen the road. I'd be willing to let them go for $300. They are for a '98 so you would have to change a few things that are simple enough to do. Also,, I have a Granatelli lid that I want $75 for and I'll throw in the K$N filter that goes with it. The filter needs cleaned but thats no big deal. All prices are flexable.

You need to start with Long tubes and an ORY, if you have a flowmaster muffler on your car you will either need to replace it or get a cut-out.

Free mods, lid, ported TB, long tubes, exhaust, plus/wire and a tune is where you need to start.

• Upvote 1